overall
Style: Sour/Wild Ale
Harelbeke, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1186   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Our Petrus Aged Pale is an undiluted old beer, only to be exported to the US.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kodos (200) - USA - MAR 21, 2002
Excellent beer! If you enjoyed sweettarts as a kid <or an adult> or any type of sweet/sour dish, this is for you. Impressive!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Oakes (12234) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 15, 2002
Okay, I read Bill’s rating and I’m thinking ’what’s wrong with that?’ Golden with a substantial nose (brett, fruit, wine - reminds of Rodenbach Red). The body is light, vibrant, complex, acidic. So drinkable, so refreshing. If you like this, check out Vapeur d’Antan.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TAR (2441) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - FEB 24, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2004 Honeyed lemon. Thick and sticky white foam. Attractive aroma of lemon rind, brett, and rose petals. Deeper swirls brings out sweetish malts and rich toasted oak. Soft but creamy carbonation. Iron comes and goes, with continual acidity and a restrained brett flare. Finishes slightly moist and sweet with a gorgeously harmonic culmination of oak and toasted malt hulls. Absolutely amazing.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
billb (244) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - JAN 5, 2002
Youch! I guess I’m the jerk again. Gus sent this to me and I hate to sound ungrateful or go against what a beer god says, but I think this style is not for me (maybe when I get older :>). A big sweetness countered by a sourness. The smell is of old gym socks and the finish becomes dry but the sweetness lingers. The beer pours nicely and leaves some lacing which is always a plus.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - NOV 4, 2001
Very unique beer. I am glad to be the Belgian beer of the month club to receive this suprise. Aged in oak barrels. Pistachio like palate. Pleasantly sour end.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 24, 2001
Finally, the ’Aged Petrus Pale’ has arrived, although I have sampled to date 3947 different beers over the last 40 plus years, I want the 1000th on ’Ratebeer’ to be special, and it is. The Pour A some what dark gold color, moderate to generous white head. The Nose That of a fine wine, malt tones are noticeable, and a tartness, and as would be assumed a certain ’oakyness’. The taste The front is tart/sour with traces of a underlying maltiness, the middle a bit of sweetness amongst the sour, light to medium in body, highly acidic and tingly, little carbonation, the finish is moderately dry, some hops noticed. My Opinion One damn fine beer, I’ve not sampled a great number of ’Red/Sour’ beers, but I do like this beer. Trust me it was worth the wait.