Brewed by Bavik-De Brabandere
Style: Sour/Wild Ale
Harelbeke, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1341   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Aged? Many beers have a long maturation, but this one has only 24-36 months in oak barrels. Pale? This beer has an old gold to bronze color, rather than the burgundy more common in the breweries of West Flanders. This is the ‘mother beer,’ used in various quantities to blend with the other Petrus beers, and to give them their unique and very distinctive taste. This mother beer is rather sour with a bite like the best Brut Champagnes. A connoisseur’s delight! The only one of its kind on the U.S. market.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dougal (130) - Escondido, California, USA - MAR 11, 2003
This isn't a Gueze? Are you sure? This pale ale has soaked up the tannic acids of the oak casks they bathed in an taken on some quite sour characteristics. I was mildly intrigued but not enough to go back and try some more. So this is NOT a gueze, right? Coulda fooled me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerking99 (199) - Virginia, USA - JUL 20, 2003
Tart, sweet aroma. Hints of lemon, with a likttle apple in the background. Hints of must in the background. Very pale, slightly cloudy, with a small head. Flavor upfront is a mild sourness, backed by hints of wood, and a malt backdrop. Finishes tart but very clean. Overall a very refreshing beer. Nice on a hot summer afternoon.

OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2004
Very faintly hazy medium gold under a large short lasting white head. Medium citric cidery slightly metallic and skin yeasty aroma. As it warms a touch of vinous alcohol comes through. Thin sour body with medium light carbonation and fair smoothness. Medium big cider sour woody vinous and yeasty flavours. Faint resinous vinous character comes through as it warms. Dry mild sour finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - JUL 28, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2005 (on bottle) Noe this uor convinces me, that I´m not that much into flemish sours. 91 pecentile??. I like vinegar ,acually I´m known fo that, but not in my beercup. The nose itself is just a whining pear-cider experience with heavy notes of yeast. Marzipan comes next, before more sourness makes my stomakt go;"hey, some of us are tring to make a living down here". Champagnefeeling in the latter and just more sour stuff made me not finishing my share of the bottle. RERATED at RBESG2005: I must admit that my taste has changed over the 1˝ years latest beer tour de force for me. This is all what I wrote above; I just like it now :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Poured a pale reddishgold color...Aroma was vinous and woody with some sour vinegar...Flavor is delightfully sour/tart with notes of lemons and apples very fruity...Body was a bit thin but very lively due to the carbonation...This beer seemed almost like a toned down gueze very drinkable...Slightly dry and acidic finish

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 18, 2005
Wow is this beer sour. I have nothing else like it save for Lindeman’s Geuze Lambic Cuvee Rene. It’s a real trip. I love trying new things but this is something else entirely. Definitely give it a try for a shocking experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beastiefan2k (2904) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - JUN 10, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2007 Coming back to these beers after a few years. Pours crystal clear golden with a large head that sticks around. Aroma is what I like, Flanders sour - medium strength. The problem is it’s just thats and not backed up by anything else. I like it but man, throw in some malt sweetness. Some sour lemon in the "lager sitting out too long" kind of way. Just souring a regular old blonde ale.
11.2oz, Lindener Spezial smaller stem glass.

Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - AUG 1, 2005
Pours hazy orange golden and a thin snow white head. Vinous vinegar aroma with woody tones and a sweet candied fruity middle. Tart geuze-like flavor but with a more hoppy/fruity note. Acidid and woody and very vinous, almost like an unripe white wine. Very interesting, but doesn’t have the complexity of the dark flemish sour ales that I adore.

bmanning (142) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - NOV 9, 2005
Pours hazy golden with a very thin white head that dissipated almost instantly. Aroma is of pear, honey, berries, and sour apple. Taste is fruity, sweet, and sour. There are citrus flavors (very acidic) along with a strong sour apple taste. There is also a large woody flavor with some spices in the finish. This is a very tart, crisp beer that is surprisingly refreshing. I’m not a fan of the flemish sours, but this is pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
FlacoAlto (4000) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 4, 2005
This has a nice tart nose to it as I pour, reminds me a bit of lemons and / or grapefruit even, though more of the acidic character of these fruits than the citrus notes. The beer is a brilliantly clear copper color and is topped by a pale, frothy, though somewhat thin off-white colored head. The aroma is dominated by the acidity, though upon this closer inspection the acidity is a mix between acetic and lactic acid components. There seems to be a bit of tannic woody type aromatic notes here, as well as some subtle fruity notes that remind me of green apples and tart plums. The aroma is really quite nice; I really enjoy the nose on tart beers.

The beer is quite dry and of course is nicely tart as well. The tartness reminds me of sour apples with perhaps a hint of lime or maybe even lemon added, and a splash of apple cider vinegar as well. The sourness is not nearly as strong as in a traditional Lambic, but it is nicely assertive. Going back to the sour apple note, this has a fruitiness to it that reminds me of them as well as a note that makes me think of raisins that have had all sugar removed (I don’t even really know what that means, but I swear I taste it here). The actual funk level here is fairly restrained; there is perhaps a hint of funky mushroom in the finish.

This is quite a nice beer to drink, but in the end it is not nearly as complex as I would like it to be. Without the malt character of a sour brown or red, it really needs some more funkiness to it to strike a balance with the dominant acidity.

<font size=-4>Purchase: <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/arizona/scottsd Brewing Co, Scottsdale, AZ<font size=-1>