overall
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Harelbeke, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1028   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Top-fermented dark beer brewed with the finest hops and malt varieties. Matured on oaken barrels during 20 months. Serve by preference at 8 to 12 deg. C.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - AUG 28, 2002
Distinctly tart like many cherry lambics, but not as complex. It is not as smooth or as malty as it could be. The oak flavor is subtle, but noticable. Would be better with a little more sweetness. Overall though, still a good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 25, 2002
Bottle says it’s a brown ale. I expected a more diverse taste for something that was aged 2 years. Lots of apples in aroma and taste. Somewhat spicy. Just didn’t do it for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - AUG 20, 2002
Dark coca cola coloured beer. A bit sour malty taste. A bit flat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
joet (2056) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - AUG 14, 2002
I’d forgotten about this one completely until I found the tasting note a few minutes ago (see 40oz’s rating below). My notes say "sour, yeasty, dry w/ brown ale feel nuttiness"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - AUG 14, 2002
Dark red-brown color.Short lived big bubbled head.Aroma is simple.Tarty,yeasty,slightly oaky.Taste also seems somewhat simple.Light fruit acidity pretty much controls the whole mouth feel.Palate is lacking also.Finish is best part of this beer IMO.Spicy,stale-hop,oakiness lingers for minutes after sips.Drinkable but not praisible.I’m ready for Rodenbach!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2003 first impression - Cherry Coke. second impression - add the bing cherries from Cherry Garcia to the Cherry Coke. Final judgement - Dark ruby, thin malts, sour cherry taste dominates, dry hop ending. Actually, I kind of liked it after the shock wore off - I was expecting an "oaky" barrel taste (I know I've had that taste before....). So, when that fruity flavor hit it confused me a bit - had to try more. This is good, but needs a bigger malt to fight the cherry pits.

40oz (181) - Newport Beach, California, USA - AUG 12, 2002
User_Ex ordered me a bottle of this stuff while at the bar at BJ’s in Irvine waiting for our table; my taste buds were just beginning to recover after the 2 hour car ride back from Stone’s VI anniversary festival. Fruity, musty aroma with a hint of bubblegum. Earthy, spicy, lactic (balances hint of fruit sweetness well), almost saison-like, taste. This stuff evokes images of Belgain barnyards. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
oneartisan (2) - USA - JUL 24, 2002 does not count

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 20, 2002
Argo explained it the best.Definate sour cherry nose.Lively palate with a little sweet and sour thing going on in the taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
argo0 (11181) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 11, 2002
I don’t think I’ve had a ’Flanders Red Ale’ before, but if this beer is representative, I can’t say I like the style. Brown beer with a hint of redness and minimal head. Sour cherry aroma and flavor. Dry acidic finish. Overall, seems fairly one-dimensional and lacking in complexity.