overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3411   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

lordwunjo (46) - California, USA - JAN 26, 2004
A perfect beer, very enjoyable. The color is especially golden. The taste and aftertaste are especially pleasing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 25, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2004 An almost perfect beer. The beer present it self with a’ nice white head, a’ hoppy and bitter taste and a’ lovely mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Crockett (1029) - Southampton,Ontario, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 25, 2004
I'm not the biggest fan of pilseners. This is a decent one. Short white slow fading head. Good ammount of carbonation throughout. Just this side of skunky apple aroma. Hoppy with some roastinesss. A bit of malt. Ricey, soil, apple and pear some honey. Round and clean.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 25, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2006 When in Omaha, drop into the Bohemian Cafe and drink this on tap out of large heavy ceramic mugs made by Frankoma. Then enjoy some liver dumpling soup. I guess my point is that the classics are going to always be classic and stand the test of time. Please, make sure that you get a light-protected version of this (such as on tap). You beeraphernalia collectors can also buy the Frankoma Bohemian Cafe mugs as a souvenir.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
becksgenius (110) - Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Hard to find this stuff in decent condition, the bottle coupled with light skunks them so fast. Given that fact its probably hard to trust my rating as i have not had a good one. guess i need to go to a bar in plzen.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
chriso (7482) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 23, 2004
Bottled (660ml). People seem to love this or hate it. I can't believe the number of comments about it being stale or skunked - how can a supposedly world class beer distributed in a such a state. Mine wasn't skunked, but I just don't find it that exciting. I'm not really a big lager fan and I don't find it a crisp as many do. There's a lot a maltiness in there. So I don't love it or hate it, I just find it unexceptional. I prefer Budvar and some other Czech pilsners. I suppose it might be different if I were drinking it fresh in a bar in Plzen, but I doubt I'll be doing that any time soon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
heemer77 (5158) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 19, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2004 Nice and light color and taste. Great when its ice cold and has a little hops and a little malt flavor. Absolutely crisp as the other ratings say. Very easy to drink a few.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hangover (1088) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - JAN 16, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2004 Wonderful clear, golden color. Large head which dissipates to nothing in about 2 seconds. Clean, fresh aroma, little bit of spice/hops. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Mild hop bitterness. Pleasant mouthfeel. Not bad. Kinda like a weak pale ale, but in a good way. Extra points because it's a pilsner, and it's actually decent.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 16, 2004
I hope the drain liked this more than I did because that is where it ended up. This beer was too carbonated, skunked, and all around nasty. Too bad I'm not going to Czechoslovakia anytime soon to try a real Pilsner Urquell.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
rabuc (143) - carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 14, 2004
my chance to sample the so called best pilsener that everyone tries to copy......and it wasn't as good as i expected. i wonder if it's because it came out of a bottle and may have been old? it looked great - golden, clear and bubbly. the taste just wasn't there....noticed skunkiness. i'd love to try a fresh keg of this!