overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Void42599 (5) - USA - OCT 22, 2002 does not count
Smell is a strong, but a bit on the pungent side. Flavor is smooth but it leaves a bit of a tang on the palate. It looks pretty plane. Overall it is definatly not worth the price.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SlamminScott (40) - USA - OCT 21, 2002
A little bitter finish, but a good tasting pilsner. Didn’t really leave me longing for more though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 21, 2002
THIS BEER IS A GREAT PILSNER BUT ITS DEFINTITLEY NOT SOMETHING I WOULD TRY AGAIN. IM NOT A HUGE FAN OF PILSENERS. VERY HOPPY.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
johninmelb (1117) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - OCT 21, 2002
Nice sweet, malty aroma and nicely bitter, but nothing special to my taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 20, 2002
The original. Enough said.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - OCT 15, 2002
Man, mybe it was a bad bottle (there was plenty of dust build up on it), but I thought this was totally disgusting. I’ll try again when my gag reflex chills out. Re-rate 1/8/02: My previous rating had been made after I sampled an old, bottom of shelf, dusty ass bottle. After sampling some on tap, my opinion has done a complete 180. This is one of the sweetest, most satiating lagers I have ever had the pleasure of putting in my belly. I can taste a very honey like flavor and the clarity is surpassed by none. A wonderful beer to drink shitloads of and not be too hammered to enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
eczematic (1306) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - OCT 14, 2002
Just when I thought this beer had lost all its flavour, I went to the brewery and tasted it - and it was 5 times as good as out of the bottle. hugely malty, buttery, and of course, amazingly bitter and floral from the fresh hops... woah. went down extremely well with goulash and dumplings at 11am, and there’s not many beers I could say that about.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Pretty much the classic Czech pils. Clear golden colour with tall white head. Dry, crisp, and sazzy flavour.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
joet (2052) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - OCT 12, 2002
Hmm... maybe mine haven’t been fresh. I am a long way from the Czech Republic. Some pepper, some extracty mineral flavors, dusty hop flavors. Could be lightstruck -- they don’t see fit to package this beer appropriately. One of the most overrated beers at RateBeer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - OCT 10, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 Nice level of hops and dryness. Enjoyed this one along San Antonio's Riverwalk. Slight bitter aftertaste, but one that I looked forward to rather than cringed at.