overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3449   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 27, 2004
Can 500ml. I've tried a number of these but always from a bottle and of corse I found them skunky, hoping for better results from a can. Poured a rich golden colour with a creamy inch thick head. Hops in the nose and somehow I'm getting a hint of yeast, I must be wrong I'll re-rate later, some floral hints as well. The flavour is quite good. Hoppy, dry, good carbonation, lingering hops finish.I liked this from the can and despite the 2.27cnd.per can price tag I will buy more in the future.Good summer drinkin' I think.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 27, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2008 Pours a bright gold with a big fizzy head. A bit too carbonated even for the style. Some hop bitterness but thats it. I’ve heard this was much better about twenty years ago. 6, 4, 6, 3, 12 re-rate- Pours brilliant gold with a pillowy white head that lasts and lasts. The aroma is biscuity, with hop notes of lemongrass, fresh herbs, lavender and a hint of fresh baked bread. Body is med-heavy, restorative, yet dry and refreshing. The flavor is med-sweet, gloriously hopped and deliciously malty. This is one hell of a good beer and I am damn glad they started covering the neck. Do wish they would start going with the brown bottles but this is a good start.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 23, 2004
As a newbie I have a hard time identifying different hops, but after trying this I'll always know Saaz at least. I was surprised and pleased with the dryness of this beer, and not so much with the bit of skunkiness I detected. A good pilsner I suppose, though I'm not a big fan of the style. My friend says that this is much better hand pulled in the Czech Rep.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jde123 (767) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2006 Better than most, pours nicely with a quick minute head, golden yellow. Well received pilsener.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 22, 2004
Pours real nice almost golden color. Nice active white head, disapates quick but leaving a fair lace down the glass. Smells of grain, hay, a bit medicinal and skunky but hints of hop are present. Taste is sharp as the skunk smell really didn't pull through. Bits of grain, hay and malt up front with it blending pretty well in the middle. Finishes with a snappy hop zip, along with a pinch of salt along the back of the tongue. Perky, light with a feeling of indistinct normality. This slides right in with the Heineken Lager, Tsing Tao mix very well. Don't expect anything overally complex and you wont be let down. This is a solid example of a well done Pilsner and shouldn't be judged otherwise. A fine beer. Far superior than anything else mentioned in my review.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DanielBrown (4095) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - MAR 22, 2004
Tried this in nice pub, the name of which escapes me, somewhere near the Old Town Square (not that it matters as this beer is near omnipresent in Prague), accompanied by a plate of gnocchi and cheese. The best Czech beer so far - tried before at home, but never this good. Rich, golden tone, average head and lacing, and quite fizzy. Bitter sweet flavour, which is refreshing, crisp, dry, and biscuity. Perfectly balanced, full, and vastly swiggable. Surely the pinnacle of the style.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - MAR 20, 2004
This is a good pilsner. Pours a medium gold colr with a nice big head. Aroma is slightly herbal with some other hop/malt notes. Flavor is hops an with a quite dry finish. Nice rich body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
rajendra82 (976) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - MAR 19, 2004
An Pilsner that is clearly the standard bearer (as can be expected from a beer brewed in Pilzen, Czech Republic). I let a committed bud drinker sample this, and it made him excited about trying micro brews. Pilsner is not my favorite style, but I can recognize a classy brew when I taste one. The only negative is the lack of a distinct personality. Otherwise a thirst quenching, satsfying, and very welcome addition to my refridgerator. I can get this at $9.99 a 12-pack at a very fresh quality. If I drank a lot of beer, this is what I would buy every time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
swiseman (442) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAR 18, 2004
This one is very hard to rate because it really will come down to a matter of taste. amber color; potent aroma; stiff aftertaste that isn't all that pleasant after the first drink or two, but gets much better; foamy head that quickly disappears - something I may have to try again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 14, 2004
Tap. 3/14/03. The beer poured a more golden color than I had expected, nice and rich looking (funny, after writing this, I looked up 'Bohemian Pilsner' in the style guide and found that that is exactly what it should look like). This is certainly not the first Pilsner Urquell I've, but the first I've paid attention to. This has to be the standard for the perfect amount of saaz aromas. Nice and peppery and herbal. Quick brisk, slight bitterness to its nice dry finish. Obviously, I cannot say anything unique about this beer. I've had much more tasty pilsners, but you have to respect this one for its history and timeless great taste (when found un-skunky).