overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3417   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
becksgenius (110) - Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Hard to find this stuff in decent condition, the bottle coupled with light skunks them so fast. Given that fact its probably hard to trust my rating as i have not had a good one. guess i need to go to a bar in plzen.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
chriso (7482) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 23, 2004
Bottled (660ml). People seem to love this or hate it. I can't believe the number of comments about it being stale or skunked - how can a supposedly world class beer distributed in a such a state. Mine wasn't skunked, but I just don't find it that exciting. I'm not really a big lager fan and I don't find it a crisp as many do. There's a lot a maltiness in there. So I don't love it or hate it, I just find it unexceptional. I prefer Budvar and some other Czech pilsners. I suppose it might be different if I were drinking it fresh in a bar in Plzen, but I doubt I'll be doing that any time soon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
heemer77 (5159) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 19, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2004 Nice and light color and taste. Great when its ice cold and has a little hops and a little malt flavor. Absolutely crisp as the other ratings say. Very easy to drink a few.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hangover (1088) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - JAN 16, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2004 Wonderful clear, golden color. Large head which dissipates to nothing in about 2 seconds. Clean, fresh aroma, little bit of spice/hops. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Mild hop bitterness. Pleasant mouthfeel. Not bad. Kinda like a weak pale ale, but in a good way. Extra points because it's a pilsner, and it's actually decent.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 16, 2004
I hope the drain liked this more than I did because that is where it ended up. This beer was too carbonated, skunked, and all around nasty. Too bad I'm not going to Czechoslovakia anytime soon to try a real Pilsner Urquell.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
rabuc (143) - carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 14, 2004
my chance to sample the so called best pilsener that everyone tries to copy......and it wasn't as good as i expected. i wonder if it's because it came out of a bottle and may have been old? it looked great - golden, clear and bubbly. the taste just wasn't there....noticed skunkiness. i'd love to try a fresh keg of this!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2004 this is one that everyone loves...and they should. its the gold standard for pilsners. crisp, refreshing, beutifully golden and nice warm malty flavors. ive been lucky enough to have drank many of these in the czech republic where the beer flows freely in large mugs that only cost about $1. the bottled stuff we get here is pretty good as well. i always have some on hand for my pilsner drinkers...no bud light in my fridge. you have to rate this high because it was the first and everyone has tried to replicate it after. more on longevity and standard then complexity.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
tennmonkey (11) - USA - JAN 12, 2004
This one is the Ashton Kutcher of beers. People say they like it because everyone else does, but the beer itself doesn't really compare to the others. I had it from bottles in Tennessee, and it was horrible, it got as high a rating as it did from me, because I thought maybe it had skunked. I didn't like the taste, or the after taste....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
cwhalen (14) - Champaign, USA - JAN 10, 2004
Good Beer. Traditional pilsner color. Nice strong aroma of a European pub. A can't go wrong selection for a spring day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
r464 (2019) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2004
Golden color. Crisp and refreshing. Careful not to find a dusty old case that has been sitting at the distributor for a year...