overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3279   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boomer (11) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - MAY 15, 2003
The bartender at a resort in Scottsdale recommended this a few months ago so I tried it. It was draft and was extremely good. I bought a 6-pack of bottles a little later, and it didn't even seem like the same beer, tasted like all the other European green bottled skunks. Very disappointing, but I have fond memories of the draft.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Holdwine (1082) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 14, 2003
The classic pilsner. Unfortunately there is a wide variety of final product here in the states. Whether it is the green glass, or how it is shipped, etc... is open to debate. One thing that can't be debated is that when this beer is on, it is a great drinking pilsner. Luckily the bottle I had recently was on. Nice bubbles, dark light straw in color. Big then fading white head. Sweet malt flavors mix well with the great hops to produce a nice, drinkable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MarianoUT (10) - Krotoszyn, POLAND - MAY 29, 2003
Aroam is feakin good , pilsner like :) .Soft ,nice biterr , lots of hops . Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bigguy (3) - Jacobus, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2003 does not count
This is how all Pilsners should taste and act. It pours out beautifully and has an increadable aroma. The combination of hops and malt are exceptional to the nose. It has tremendous mouth feel as it gets past the lips and leaves a flavour that lets you know it is a true pilsner. I often think I am in the Chech republick when I drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - MAY 15, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2005 This has been a benchmark Pilsner for me for many years. When I was young and innocent/stupid I recall standing at the counter of a bottle shop, buying fosters or VB or something equally crappy, and being amazed that this guy was asking if they had this beer (showing empty bottle) from Czechoslovakia, when it still was. I wondered why anyone would want a beer from this place. Well, in 1999 when I made the pilgrimage to Plzen I left my wife in the coffee shop and went on the tour. So I now know that these ’Zatec’ hops do the real deal. When you open the bottle it yells HOP and for a beer of relatively low ABV it is such a lovely soft yet assertive beer. My fond memory of drinking the best and freshest in the 9 km of underground tunnels does taint my review, but it is consistently a delight to beswallow. RE-RATE: This is made necessary as the review here needs to be in respect of the bottled or tap version ouside the original source. It will be downgraded simply because the bottled/tap version cannot compare with the brewery fresh offering. still a great beer but not brilliant

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
wnp22 (685) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - MAY 19, 2003
Clean, Crisp and clear. Litle or no complexity - simple to figure out but difficult to duplicate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2003
A true classic. Massive Saaz hop nose, beautiful round malt palate, 40 IBU's. Thirst quenching and satisfying. When it is fresh (very important in this beer's case)it is my ideal pale lager.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cobra (1100) - - MAY 27, 2003
22 oz. Green bomber bottle. No freshness date that I can see. Pours out a bright sunshine yellow color. Decent, but short lived head. Faded to a slight island of thin foam in the middle of the glass. Very effervescent, almost champagne like. Aromas of fresh malts, fresh mown hay, and noble hops. Crisp, refreshing, easy to drink. Kind of thin on the palate, but it's supposed to be. Very well balanced, finishes bright, clean, and crisp. A really good beer in my book.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
adrenalin112 (57) - Lake Forest, California, USA - MAY 24, 2003
looks good, however most bottles tend to be skunky, so i always consider buying it a risk. Although, im still very curious how it tastes on tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3362) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAY 23, 2003
Lucky me, I landed a fresh bottle for this rating. Aroma is nice, the faintest skunk, but appropriate for the style, mostly hops on the nose. Poured with a nice white head, which has remained slight but present throughout. Beautiful lacing on the glass, as even a bad bottle of Pilsner Urquell will do. Good palate, very good taste, balanced but a nice spring garden burst of hops that lingers long after swallowing. I had this once as the first pour from a new keg at a new restaurant. It was so fresh as to nearly bring a tear to my eye. This is a good bottle, but it just can't stand up to a fresh draught. I should note that I have had some god-awful bad bottles in the past as well.