overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3207   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
freekyp (1483) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 26, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2003 draught) Light floral aroma with quick sharp hop bite. Bitterness does not linger long after swallow. Light and refreshing. Very nutty malt character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2007 Great beer. Flowery aroma with a typical Pils head. Slighty more golden than other Pils. Pleasant dry/bitter finish. A beer for all occasions. Re-rate; the more I try this the more I like it. Very well balanced, meaning it is not too sweet. Actually some hop bite, good flavor. The good and bad part about the new 6-pack design: good it keeps the light out, the bad- you cant reuse the carrier for the empty bottles.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
The Etruscan (528) - Tuscany, ITALY - JAN 25, 2003
White and fast diseappearing head. Deep golden color. Aroma is hoppy with herbal and malty notes. Flavor is hoppy with crispy tones (rice) and with a strong malty fragrance, ending in a bitter pleasant finish. Light bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 22, 2003
Man I love this easily obtainable beer ! This is getting back to the basics if you've been all wrapped up in this currently trendy "i only drink Belgian beer" trip .. Great subtle sweetness in a lightish, goes with every food kind of brewski . I unfortunately had this out of a 16 ounce can recently, next time i'll be sure to get it in bottles but it was great nonetheless. I am partial to European pilsners so maybe my review is skewed and biased but I swear this beer is a welcomed refreshment after all the mediocre, not-quite-spirited microbrews that i've been into more recently ... A great simple beer, period. Go get some.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 20, 2003
I would not drink this out of the bottle, I have had bad luck every time I have. But I must say it is a wonderful thing to drink on tap.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Voivod (304) - Como, ITALY - JAN 20, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2003 The first pilsner and still one of the best. Good clean appearance, golden colour, bubbly foam, not really lasting. The aroma is very hoppy, with some floreal notes. Some malty sweetness in the taste, but the main quality of this beer is the aftertaste: pleasanty bitter dominated by the great flavour of Saaz hops. This beer gives its best on tap or in big bottles (finally I've found 66 cl bottles!).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kalisto9 (73) - Crafton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 18, 2003
A pretty good pilsner, though not my overall favorite. Still, you can do worse. Although I have to say the few times I have had it, it seemed to taste a bit different on the bitterness balance each time around, so you need to be a bit wary of this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 18, 2003
On tap: Colour is close to bronze, not much in the nose, but the flavour made up for it: great piney hops, with citrus and malt in the background. . . I not a huge fan of pilsners, but this was a great glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2003
This beer was a touch skunky when I tried it out of the bottle. I went down well, but not exactly my favorite style. It definitely wasn't terrible and was very refreshing. Good beer all around.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Verne (261) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - JAN 17, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2004 On tap this is some of the very best of its type. Old bottles are the reason some rate it low and they can be real bad. This rating is for a fresh pint on tap