overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3182   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Norton (328) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - NOV 17, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2003 RERATE: Nice deep amber in color, minimal head/lacing. Skunky funky smell. OLD: Had some from draft last night. Not nearly as good as bottled samples I fondly recall, so these ratings reflect an average of the two experiences. Draft was amazingly not nearly as good as bottled memories. Tart aftertaste, decent sense of maltiness. I used to really really like this beer a lot, but now, I'm not selling the farm for it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - NOV 17, 2002
I picked up a bottle of this on a recommendation from a friend... well lets just say he wont be listened to anymore. The aroma is skunkier than a Heineken. Very clear, blonde appearance with hints of amber..perhaps it was just the candlelight causing that effect. The taste was very carbonated and very skunky...a bitter bite with every sip. This pilsner was nothing extraordinary at all, i was not impressed...if i wanted something like this i would have bought an MGD or a Heineken

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
snowman (9) - Powhatan, Virginia, USA - NOV 16, 2002 does not count
This is, and always has been my favorite pilsner. Luckily for me, this beer has been selling at a local outlet for just over $6 a six pac. It has a wonderful floral aroma and has a good balance of flavors, not too bitter, but yet no too sweet. Wish I could afford this more often.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeyaMC (47) - Tirschenreuth, GERMANY - NOV 15, 2002
It’s very bitter ! - Just like a Pilsner has to be. Almost the best on the market... if it was not for Kulmbacher Reichelbraeu Edelherb

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
charlton99 (4) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 12, 2002 does not count
Tastes a little like liquid bread. I know I’m gonna get flamed for this, but I actually prefer Corona. Not a bad beer though. I’m drinking one right now...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 12, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 Probably one of my favorite readily available beers. Has a great bitter flavor up front and is genuinely smooth going down either on tap or straight out of the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - NOV 11, 2002
Canned: This one was quite different to the first time I rated it. Medium gold clear with a medium size shortish lasting white head. Faintly yeasty wheat beer aroma. Malty cooked pasta and floral nectar on glass swirl. Thin low carb body. A lot more intense bitter and bigger sweeter maltier flavours than the previous rate. Decent hoppy clean finish. Much improved over the first rating. First time a can has rated better than a bottle.
First rated 8 July 2002 2.3 Pale gold clear with a thin wispy quickly evaporating white head. Average faint grassy pils hops, turnips and something that reminds me of rat bait they used to put on potato sacks back in the 1950’s. (BTW that aroma is not unpleasant!) Taste is somewhat better than the aroma. My bottle was relatively lowly carbonated - I don’t remember this beer being quite so flat last time I tried it. The body is thin but has some substantial flavours, mainly bitter, some malt and a touch of powdered Al. Finish is also quite flat and left me quite unstatisfied. Maybe I need to try some more Bohemians but if this is indicative of the style I think they’ll end up pretty lowly rated on my style sheets.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hansen (6471) - Assentoft, DENMARK - NOV 7, 2002

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tolik99 (47) - USA - NOV 1, 2002
Zatec hops flowers are unbelievable! All you need is draught Prazdroj (no bottled or canned versions).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
reverend (24) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Great golden color with a huge white head that left lace all the way down. Great saaz hops with balanced malted barley.