overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 10, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2006 Re-rate 8/29/06: Clear pale yellow orange with a thin white head, aroma contains flowers, grass and some citrus, medium bodied with nice carbonation, starts and lightly bitter. Re-rate 3/29/02: Crisp and refreshing. Getting a new, unopened 12-pack is the way to go with this beer. Be wary of a bottle sitting under the lights. First rating: It is a quality pilsner, however that in itself is a big problem for a stout/barleywine drinker like me.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
Considering this was the original pils, it’s a good thing brewers did not hew too close to the original. The aroma is overwhelming and it doesn’t have a good aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - JUL 9, 2002
One of the best pilseners in the world, but quite expensive

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LordNeuf (136) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 8, 2002
A decient pilsner. The green bottle usually cries out a warning to me, but the light didn’t effect the flavor from what I could tell. It was what was to be expected. A fully body, with a rich head, in a lovely hue of gold. Everything you’d expect from a Pilsner. It doesn’t go down as smooth as I’d like, but still a fine beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stemcell00199 (21) - worcester, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2002
I actually would rather rate this in Prague when I am paying 50 cents for half a liter instead of the imported price, but I’ll manage. This is a great pilsner with a good body and taste. It also is a great chaser for absynthe.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopsing99 (8) - USA - JUL 6, 2002 does not count
None to bad a choice if you’re looking for a cheaper Pilsner. I prefer this to any of the mass-marketed German Pilsners out there. I’m told you can buy this beer for 35cents in Prague. See you in Prague.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
H22Andretti99 (10) - Huntsville, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 6, 2002
BARF!!! I was forced to drink this garbage to become a member of the ’suds club’ at the local pub, I haven’t decided if it was worth it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
bierkoning (9819) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - JUL 2, 2002
Malty and hoppy aroma and taste with some hay. It starts with some malty, almost buttery sweetness on the tongue, immediately followed by a hoppy, but soft bitterness. Long hopbitter finish. Good pilsener, but doesn’t live up completely to its reputation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - JUL 2, 2002
This beer smelled so damned good I nearly brought the empty bottle back with me from Hawaii just to sniff a few more times. Damned tasty brew! One I will have many more of.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cathcacr (630) - Oregon, USA - JUL 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2014 update 2014: this has to be tried in box-packaged, non-skunked bottles.

earlier comments:
Well, first, let’s not kid ourselves: the new big kid on the block as far as pilseners go is the Victory Prima Pils. But this, I actually liked, which I wasn’t expecting. It sure is the ’original pilsener,’ ain’t it. PLZEN!, spake the beer bottle. Sort of the standard-bearer of what’s good for the style without getting specialized (like the Prima Pils). I was skeptical of going after bottles of this because of the green bottle, but I bought a 6-pack and have had 2 so far, and no problems yet. What can I say: it’s just real pilsnery. I don’t have the hop lingo down, but I believe this one falls into the ’floral’ category. Good, enticing aroma, pretty uninteresting appearance, though. Golden. That’s about all I can say for it. No head. But taste is most important, and this has got a robust enough taste to hold my interest. Nice mouthfeel and all that, yadda yadda yadda. What’s interesting is how an ’inferior’ lager can sort of beat up on one of those ’superior’ ales in a back-to-back taste test. Had an ESB right before this, and not all ales are made better than lagers, folks. Well look at me, I’m rambling again. Well, that about does ’er. Wraps ’er all up. And it was a purty good story, too, wouldn’t you say? Hope you enjoyed yourselves too. Yeah, I found this beer so durned interestin’, that I’d buy it again. And, ultimately, that’s the test of a beer’s worth, now isn’t it. Say, friend, you got any of that good sasparilla?