overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3477   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
kathouse (1256) - Nevada, USA - DEC 21, 2003
Strong Saaz hop aroma and bitter after taste makes it difficult to finish without gulping. Clear light amber color with small head that dies quickly. Spicy hop aroma never seems to fade. Neither does the taste. Cool and crisp, this beer is countered by the low caramel taste and overpowering hop bitterness. My wife likes it, but then again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 21, 2003
I have to admit, when i first heard of this beer i thought it had something to do with Urkel from that tv show. I don't much like pilsners much to begin with. from the pungent nose (and no, it's not skunked), to the unpleasant aftertaste that lingers like bad roadkill. yeah, it's crisp and all, but man, it's definately not for me. heh, maybe this beer is why my ancesters left Czech in the mid-1800's.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2003
So *this* is what the macros are supposed to taste like? Huh. This is the second time I've had this pilsner. The first time was about four years ago and I thought it was nasty. It was my first time trying any foreign beers and I didn't know it could go bad. This cute little barvarian sandwich shop only carried this beer so I tried it; I think they had it left from 10 years prior because it was *really* skunked. I gave it another try tonight. Not nearly as skunky, but it just doesn't taste fresh. The pour was crisp and clean looking. Lots of carbonation gave it a huge head that quickly subsided. Interestingly, as it died down it looked pock-marked in that some of the bubbles seemed to combine so it had these divots amongst the tiny popping bubbles. First time I've seen that. Anyway, it had a decent lace down the glass. The smell put me off: that familiar skunky smell was there. It wasn't as bad as it was the last time so I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. Not half-bad. It had a lot more character than the macros but was still light enough that I could have had several without slowing down at all. The skunky flavor pretty much went away until the very end. Definate hop presence with a tang of lemon. The mouthfeel was pretty good. It had a decent body for such a light beer and plenty of carbonation without being overly bubbly, if that makes sense. Drinkability... Hmm. As I stated, I could have several of these without any problem, but that skunk taste remains. I'd really like to try this on tap one of these days.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - DEC 18, 2003
This is a great beer when it's fresh. I could do without the green bottles though. Just had one recently that was really impressive. Good firm body, enough hops to give that tasty tingle but well balanced with rich malt. This pilsner has the color of a good Munich helles...a shade or two darker than most pilsners. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
ovbeer (1) - USA - DEC 18, 2003 does not count
Good crisp clean beer. Does tend to start a little skunky but never the less this good stuff. However, I would like to try it fresh from the brewery so that it could be tasted before it has to make that long journey to the States.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
Nothing special - Straw yellow, thin and slightly sour with off flavors. My bottle started to skunk though, so I may rerate sometime with a fresher sample.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
StoutOrDeath (121) - USA - DEC 17, 2003
I tried this beer because Buster Poindexter mentioned it in THE WORST BEER I'VE EVER HAD. Great song. OK beer. Nothing extraordinary. I just prefer more powerful flavor in my brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
steview (1036) - Petaluma, California, USA - DEC 17, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2004 straw pour. yellow, small head... clean, farm aroma. the greatest bite of grass i ever had... nice! i don't mind at all. time to fly to the source and drink it fresh, damn it... i hear too many good things about this, but it's failed me everytime. UPDATE: still, a good brew. the grass bite had some metal blades this time around, and it's golden with big bubbles. the head is relatively small and white. the aroma matches its flavor in near equivalence. hmm, it's good. the palate could be worked on as well. it seemed a bit sharp, although it had some pleasant creaminess to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
psychoanalyst (16) - USA - DEC 16, 2003
Classic pilsner but a little too deiicate for my tastes. Bright gold color and nice hops in the nose. Pretty good balance in this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcc83 (137) - Athens, Georgia, USA - DEC 14, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2004 Recommended to me by a good friend as a standard for pilsners. Good stuff. The aroma was pretty skunky the first time I had it, but upon more recent sampling, I found it to be quite pleasant. The appearance was predictably light; it poured a fairly attractive pure gold shade with a medium white head and lacing. The flavor was full and hoppy, with fairly little bitterness. Amazingly full of flavor for such a light, crisp, refreshing brew.