overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3651   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Krasulak (88) - Wapadrand, Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA - SEP 13, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2007 Bottled (330 ml green bottle). I always buy this beer packaged in cardboard boxes and never came across one that was lightstruck. Deep gold colour with moderate head that disapears quickly. Malt and floral hay aroma. Well balanced flavour of sweet malt and Saaz hop bitterness. Nice balanced bitter sweet hoppy finish. Refreshing. Very good, classic bohemian pilsner. This is my daily "bread" and I am never be tired of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mamradskoda (9) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 10, 2004 does not count
A fantastic beer. I drank this often while living in Prague. A visit to the brewery left me with a greater appreciation of the beer and of the process. Now I drink Pilsner for its quite unique, sweet but tart taste and the friendly buzz it provides.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DarkElf (3050) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 8, 2004
(22.3 oz bottle) The Original Golden Beer, the standard by which all other pilseners are often judged, and justifiably so in my opinion; Very smoky pilsener with a tremendous amount of quality malt flavor for the style; Mildly bitter, but pleasant and balanced hops contribution; The only issue I have with this beer is that it’s a bit sweet, and I just don’t remember P.U. being this sweet years ago, or maybe I’m just paying more attention these days; The flavor stays pretty consistent from start to finish, except for a bit more hops presence in the finish, with a slight grapefruit flavor on the back end; Good, solid medium body and a nice golden color for the style; Average size to the head and okay retention, gradually fading to thin layer; Not much lacing though; Many people have had problems with skunky bottles, but I can’t remember ever drinking a skunky bottle of Pilsner Urquell; One of the few beers I’ll gladly order in a bar that only serves conglomerate/mass produced beers

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
macdeffe (52) - Ĺrhus, DENMARK - SEP 8, 2004
Excellent Pilsner. This ain’t the model for pilsner because it’s far better than most it’s imitator’s. The finish is fantastic and I can still taste the nice Czech hops here 34 minutes after I had the beer :-)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
igel (196) - New Mexico, USA - SEP 6, 2004
Golden color, light carbonation and a light white head. Nice sticky lacing. Aroma is a little skunky with hops and some background malt. Flavor is light, slightly sweet with a crisp pilsner hop finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied and effervescent. I am not a big fan of pilsners, but this one is quite drinkable -- not overly dry.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tony2times (23) - Blacksburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 1, 2004
A nice golden color with high clarity. Light aroma, crisp, but nothing special. Something I could drink alot of if offered.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tweety83 (26) - Blacksburg, Virginia, USA - AUG 29, 2004
It was pretty good. It was refreshing. The aftertaste was not that bad. I could drink another one of these.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - AUG 29, 2004
Used to love it more, but IMO has a funky aftertaste. I would rather nail a Stella, Heineken or Grolsch any day of the week.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Lunkie (1732) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - AUG 27, 2004
Clear amber colour with small head. Sweet hop malt aroma. Fizzy palate. Good to drink on a hot summer day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
shotgun1431 (135) - franklin furnace, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2004
Nice golden color with a white head. Nice bitter hoppy taste. I thought this was a pretty good brew.