overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3242   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 9, 2002
Out of the bottle: Beautiful crystal clear deep golden colour. Malty and saaz hop bitterness resound in perfectly in the front end. Very rounded out flavour profile with light hoppy flavour and no hop aroma.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - SEP 8, 2002
I had one of these out of a bottle at the Old Bag of Nails Pub in Worthington. Sweet nose of apples, pears, and vanilla. Pours a light bubbly golden with an average sized white and frothy head that has great lacing. The flavor is deep; outstanding for a Pils. Hints of dried fruit and vanilla are prominent. Very balanced with no acidity. The body is soft, creamy and smooth. The finish feels clean. Hands down the best Pils I have ever tasted. I couldn’t have imagined rating a Pils so high before tonight.

seuinoz (142) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2002
first time i tried it made me sick didn’t like the taste. must have had a bad bottle. second time i tried it i loved it. very good pilsner, tasted just like it was off of tap. will try again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5284) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2005 Bottle. Light amber with a small white head. Nose is hoppy and grassy with minimal skunky notes. Some light soughy malts as well. Taste is much the same. Light grassiness and hops with doughy malts and some faint citrus. Body is medium with a moderate carbonation feel. Finishes with grassy hops, hay, biscuits, and light buttery notes.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
gbzia (195) - Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, USA - SEP 5, 2002
Not a Pils drinker, but a good intro beer to those moving up from Bud to a quality, flavorful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RedTickBeer (39) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - SEP 5, 2002
A decent, drinkable beer. But it was a let down for something considered the ’Original’ Pilsner. I have had better. Maybe its all subjective, but this is another one from across the pond that is highly over-rated. And I like Pilsner. I may try again, but I won’t pay for it. Re-rate: Tried this again. I must have got a bad batch the first time. Crisp, clean, nice hop bite. An all around excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 5, 2002
The best Pilsner I’ve had. A Czech friend of mine says the version we get in the US is hoppier than the original; I find this difficult to imagine, as the hops are so subtle in the first place that they aren’t the main focus of this brew. For some reason, the lunkheads at the pub I frequent most list this in the menu as being German. May the ghost of Josef Svejk haunt them until such time as they repent this error... Rerate 9/5/02: I had one of these from the bottle and it was even better than I remembered; like sticking my head into a sack of Saaz hops, all grassy and herby. I take back what I said about subtle hops, but won’t change the rating otherwise.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Panzuriel (1316) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - SEP 4, 2002
UPDATED: APR 8, 2003 The Original Pilsener. A great beer if you can find a fresh one. Mine was skunked out. Good flavor and crispness despite the damage the light had done. I am still searching for a good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jayb0 (1040) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - SEP 4, 2002
It’s a classic and rightly so. Crisp and spicy, subtle malty sweetness late and a clean, hoppy finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Simon (42) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Either I got a skunky six, or I just don’t care for this pilsener. Bitter and skunkish, but with no redeeming aftertaste or complex palate to balance it out. I’m going to hope that my bottles saw too much light.