overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3740   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - OCT 2, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2005 My friend Ron calls the best beer ever made. I think he’s listened to too many radio commercials. Certainly it’s a fine pils, but the not the best. Good crisp drink, with a light gold color, thin white head, and tight carbonation. Mild malty, doughy aroma. Nice malt & hop balance, but not a very strong flavor. Clean finish. It’s just "okay," Ron.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
NobleSquirrel (3439) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 25, 2004
This one caught me somewhat off guard, as I typically am not a pilsner/lager fan. However, on tap at least, this was very tasty and interesting. Smelled and tasted of breads and yeasts, with some pepper in the mix and a buttery taste. Nice, clean tasting finish. A good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDalkoholic (2339) - Linda Vista, California, USA - SEP 23, 2004
Second time purchasing this. I always see it at the local bodegas so i picked it up again to rate it. Dank smelling aroma. Head is very small and same with the oxygen bubbles. I noticed a sweetness along side being biter but none the less very solid. This pilsner has a unique style of its own and should remain an example.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
apost8n8 (123) - USA - SEP 22, 2004
Draft at Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Mobile, AL I was very impressed immediately with the complex and pleasant aroma and the orange/ deep golden appearance of this pilsner. Very little white head and no lacing. Nicely bitter and an enjoyable aftertaste. My first won’t be my last.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
seeknay36 (110) - DC, New York, USA - SEP 20, 2004
Lives up to its reputation. A great pilsner from start to finish. Although the green bottle, I have never had a skunked Pilsner. Whether tap or bottle, it is surely to please the palate with the balance of malt and hops. And is nice on a hot summer day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Belly Full O Beer (57) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - SEP 18, 2004
The first is still good. Light golden colour, with no real head. Crisp clean finish. Tastes like what other beers wish they were.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Marko (4948) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - SEP 18, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2005 My old review wasn’t that informative, so I decided to update it. I still stand by my rating of the beer. 0.5l green bottle. It’s not a fresh sample, but it sure wasn’t skunky. Poured a deep golden colour, with a big fluffy white head that went completely away rather fast. I didn’t notice much lacing. The nose was faint (the beer was cold, so it figures), but it was malty, honeyish. The taste was nice, with a nice hoppy foreground and a subtle and pleasant malty and lemoney background. Good hoppy aftertaste. Flawless, but far from flashy.

Original review:
The source of all pilseners is definitely an above average pilsener, with a pleasant and balanced taste. And it’s pretty refreshing too.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MarkBarnes (407) - Waterville, New York, USA - SEP 15, 2004
I don’t often buy Pilsners, but tried this upon recommendation of a friend. Have to say I was very impressed. For some reason or another, this beer reminded me of the ubiquitous St. Pauli Girl, only much better. A great, refreshing session beer that I’ll be buying again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ohknaks (44) - USA - SEP 13, 2004
12oz bottle: Believe it or not, I bought this beer because I saw a review on tv (thirsty traveller for those that know the show). A very balanced flavor, with a bit of hops for an aftertaste. All in all, a very good beer. I will definately be buying this one again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Krasulak (88) - Wapadrand, Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA - SEP 13, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2007 Bottled (330 ml green bottle). I always buy this beer packaged in cardboard boxes and never came across one that was lightstruck. Deep gold colour with moderate head that disapears quickly. Malt and floral hay aroma. Well balanced flavour of sweet malt and Saaz hop bitterness. Nice balanced bitter sweet hoppy finish. Refreshing. Very good, classic bohemian pilsner. This is my daily "bread" and I am never be tired of it.