overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3183   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
H22Andretti99 (10) - Huntsville, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 6, 2002
BARF!!! I was forced to drink this garbage to become a member of the ’suds club’ at the local pub, I haven’t decided if it was worth it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
bierkoning (9999) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - JUL 2, 2002
Malty and hoppy aroma and taste with some hay. It starts with some malty, almost buttery sweetness on the tongue, immediately followed by a hoppy, but soft bitterness. Long hopbitter finish. Good pilsener, but doesn’t live up completely to its reputation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - JUL 2, 2002
This beer smelled so damned good I nearly brought the empty bottle back with me from Hawaii just to sniff a few more times. Damned tasty brew! One I will have many more of.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cathcacr (634) - Oregon, USA - JUL 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2014 update 2014: this has to be tried in box-packaged, non-skunked bottles.

earlier comments:
Well, first, let’s not kid ourselves: the new big kid on the block as far as pilseners go is the Victory Prima Pils. But this, I actually liked, which I wasn’t expecting. It sure is the ’original pilsener,’ ain’t it. PLZEN!, spake the beer bottle. Sort of the standard-bearer of what’s good for the style without getting specialized (like the Prima Pils). I was skeptical of going after bottles of this because of the green bottle, but I bought a 6-pack and have had 2 so far, and no problems yet. What can I say: it’s just real pilsnery. I don’t have the hop lingo down, but I believe this one falls into the ’floral’ category. Good, enticing aroma, pretty uninteresting appearance, though. Golden. That’s about all I can say for it. No head. But taste is most important, and this has got a robust enough taste to hold my interest. Nice mouthfeel and all that, yadda yadda yadda. What’s interesting is how an ’inferior’ lager can sort of beat up on one of those ’superior’ ales in a back-to-back taste test. Had an ESB right before this, and not all ales are made better than lagers, folks. Well look at me, I’m rambling again. Well, that about does ’er. Wraps ’er all up. And it was a purty good story, too, wouldn’t you say? Hope you enjoyed yourselves too. Yeah, I found this beer so durned interestin’, that I’d buy it again. And, ultimately, that’s the test of a beer’s worth, now isn’t it. Say, friend, you got any of that good sasparilla?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Medium, foamy white head. Light golden yellow color. Medium strength nose - hoppy and vegetable notes. Light and crisp palate. Typical pilsner taste: light hops, skunky, vegetal. Pretty standard in my book and boring in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Don’t know why it took me so long to get around to trying this stuff--must be my ale fetish keeping me away from the pilseners. Anyway, really enjoyed this. Malt flavor dominates, sweet and slightly caramel flavors complement a taste not unlike good artisinal bread. Finishes with a nice crisp hop bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Slightly skunky aroma. Good clean looking beer. Skunkiness evident in flavor. Must find this on tap somewhere. It has got to be better than this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
friejose (24) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Terrific, great mouth feel, very enjoyable

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 21, 2002
I’ll rate the fresh samples i’ve had. Although the hops and body have diminished in the last few years the sharp spicy saaz aroma is one of the tops. Dark clear straw color. Nice malt body that has also thinned as of late. Still a nice dry bitter finish. When fresh - still one of the best examples.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Bolt (117) - Boulder Creek, California, USA - JUN 21, 2002
I’ll have to try this one again and re-rate it because I think what I had on tap was spoiled. It tasted skunky, and sour.