overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3178   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Davhgbrew (925) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - APR 20, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2014 Aroma of a German pils, but I liked the dry crisp, bitter taste. Nice drinkable brew. Orig rate 4/20/02...2.9. Now armed with some more beer knowledge I needed to revisit this classic. Skunky, grainy bohemian pils malt aroma. Medium bodied dark gold and mostly malt forward with the crisp dry pils experience. Hop flavor Is overshadowed by the caramel malt sweetness, but it is assertive in hop bitterness. Soft rounded palate compliments.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - APR 20, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2007 Skunky... really not much more to say about it. I wish my bottle would have been fresh so I could see what this beer is really all about.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
gpolice99 (32) - Arizona, USA - APR 16, 2002
This beer has a Real skunk smell to it, and is quite bitter your first round, but after aquiring a taste for it(or getting sloshed), it starts to grow on you! It took me 4 to Really start to enjoy this guy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - APR 16, 2002
Most of the time, this beer is skunked. But once in awhile, you can get a good one. The best pilsner(lager) I’ve ever had. Lots of woody, smokey flavor balanced with a mild hop finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerBaronLS (85) - Grove City, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2002
Not bad for its style...its been a long winter of darks so I don’t feel like a fair judge.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 14, 2002
Drinking this beer in the Czech Republic is nothing like drinking it from an imported bottle. There, it is a light, tasty, sharp pils. Here, it is terrible crap.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - APR 14, 2002
Skunk is the major aroma, but if you can make it past that it isn’t really too bad. I rate it right there with czechvar (a few points behind the better pils to the west)

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2002
I could smell the crappy skunk smell from across the room! I hope this was just a bad bottle. It tasted like Budweiser that had skunked - unless I held my breath while I drank it - and then it tasted like regular Budweiser.

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Dogbrick (7567) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2002
Quote from my fiancee: ’Does ’crappy’ have one or 2 p’s?’ That says it all. I think I had a bottle that was exposed to the light too long because the skunk smell was literally unbearable. Whatever positives in the flavor were drowned out by the horrid stench. I will have to try this one again sometime...

bron99 (1) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 13, 2002 does not count