overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3279   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

bron99 (1) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 13, 2002 does not count

chug18799 (36) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - APR 10, 2002
Very good; can really taste the Saaz hops, for which this beer is famous - if you haven’t ever had this beer, it’s worth trying simply for the original hop character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 9, 2002
This is probably the best pilsner I’ve had, except for the czech microbrew beer I had when I was there.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 7, 2002
Not good. Way to biting. Nearly killed my mouth. I had to stop drinking for about a day. Which, if you know me, is a big deal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - APR 7, 2002
Not a pilsner lover, I always find this one to be a pleasant surprise. It is flavorful without being bitter. It has a clean, but fairly complex, palate that is fun to dissect, if you’re paying attention to it, but easy to just drink and enjoy. FAR superior to your typical American pilsner.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 5, 2002
Im not a big pilsner fan but I just wasn’t all that impressed. I had it off of tap so there were no skunkage issues. I just didnt’ thing the flavor profile was all that broad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jonas (5843) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - APR 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2004 Citrussy saaz aroma. Golden, low carbonation and head, some residue floating. Light malt base. Hops hide well, slight bandaid. Bready aftertaste, light hop dryness. Even in Europe the taste seems to vary considerably

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2003 I have not noticed consistency problems in the bottles. I have drunk many, many of bottles of it too. For the past two years it's been really cheap for some reason at my neighborhood liquor store. It's nice on tap too, although i've never had it at the source. My hands down favorite campfire beer, especially since they stopped putting the foil so far up the neck of the bottle.

kebu5299 (5) - Laurel, Mississippi, USA - APR 2, 2002 does not count
The ’original’ pils. Need I say more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 1, 2002
Never thought I would rank a pilsner this high, but this is a prety good beer. Has a decent flavor, unlike most pilsners you can tell its a beer and not water, I like that.