overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3507   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
nicbristol99 (44) - Des Plaines, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2002
This is an excellent beer that rates just a shade behind Czechvar (Budvar). Lacks that pilsner’s smoothness. Still, this is a tremendous brew. Great hoppy aroma and taste. Some grassy notes. Great palate with pleasant bitter aftertaste. Maitaining its quality while becoming more widespread in this country.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 24, 2002
This definatly doesn’t deserve the bad ratings i’ve seen.I’m sure there are some bad bottles out there but if you have the means keep shopping for a good one it’s worth it.It had a light head,with some hop aromacoming through crisp taste with a definate hoppiness and a clean finish well worth the money and the time to get a good bottle

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
dewolfpack (59) - Petit De Grat, Nova Scotia, CANADA - NOV 24, 2002
This is the first try it was in a bottle in Nova Scotia .Bad first impression not a good burp and poor aftertaste maybe it was a bad bottle .But you would think that for a company that has been brewing since 1842 would be able to eliminate so many skunky beer .I will try again at a much later date maybe when I visit the Czech Republic to get a fresh bottle .TTFN

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - NOV 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2004 Finally got some bottles that weren't skunked. First Pilsener I've really enjoyed. Kind of grassy, grainy, on the sweet side. I could taste a little hops but not that much, very mild all around. Pleasant sweetness, I drank most of the 6-pack.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2003 green bottle = skunky, (although being a former heineken addict, i don't mind it that much) poured with a nice foamy head but it dissappeared before I could take a sip, light amber/orangish like color, crisp taste, thats all I can say really, slight hoppy finish, Pilsners aren't really my thing

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Norton (329) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - NOV 17, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2003 RERATE: Nice deep amber in color, minimal head/lacing. Skunky funky smell. OLD: Had some from draft last night. Not nearly as good as bottled samples I fondly recall, so these ratings reflect an average of the two experiences. Draft was amazingly not nearly as good as bottled memories. Tart aftertaste, decent sense of maltiness. I used to really really like this beer a lot, but now, I'm not selling the farm for it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - NOV 17, 2002
I picked up a bottle of this on a recommendation from a friend... well lets just say he wont be listened to anymore. The aroma is skunkier than a Heineken. Very clear, blonde appearance with hints of amber..perhaps it was just the candlelight causing that effect. The taste was very carbonated and very skunky...a bitter bite with every sip. This pilsner was nothing extraordinary at all, i was not impressed...if i wanted something like this i would have bought an MGD or a Heineken

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
snowman (9) - Powhatan, Virginia, USA - NOV 16, 2002 does not count
This is, and always has been my favorite pilsner. Luckily for me, this beer has been selling at a local outlet for just over $6 a six pac. It has a wonderful floral aroma and has a good balance of flavors, not too bitter, but yet no too sweet. Wish I could afford this more often.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeyaMC (47) - Tirschenreuth, GERMANY - NOV 15, 2002
It’s very bitter ! - Just like a Pilsner has to be. Almost the best on the market... if it was not for Kulmbacher Reichelbraeu Edelherb

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
charlton99 (4) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 12, 2002 does not count
Tastes a little like liquid bread. I know I’m gonna get flamed for this, but I actually prefer Corona. Not a bad beer though. I’m drinking one right now...