overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlż)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3410   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cathcacr (642) - Oregon, USA - JUL 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2014 update 2014: this has to be tried in box-packaged, non-skunked bottles.

earlier comments:
Well, first, letís not kid ourselves: the new big kid on the block as far as pilseners go is the Victory Prima Pils. But this, I actually liked, which I wasnít expecting. It sure is the íoriginal pilsener,í ainít it. PLZEN!, spake the beer bottle. Sort of the standard-bearer of whatís good for the style without getting specialized (like the Prima Pils). I was skeptical of going after bottles of this because of the green bottle, but I bought a 6-pack and have had 2 so far, and no problems yet. What can I say: itís just real pilsnery. I donít have the hop lingo down, but I believe this one falls into the ífloralí category. Good, enticing aroma, pretty uninteresting appearance, though. Golden. Thatís about all I can say for it. No head. But taste is most important, and this has got a robust enough taste to hold my interest. Nice mouthfeel and all that, yadda yadda yadda. Whatís interesting is how an íinferiorí lager can sort of beat up on one of those ísuperiorí ales in a back-to-back taste test. Had an ESB right before this, and not all ales are made better than lagers, folks. Well look at me, Iím rambling again. Well, that about does íer. Wraps íer all up. And it was a purty good story, too, wouldnít you say? Hope you enjoyed yourselves too. Yeah, I found this beer so durned interestiní, that Iíd buy it again. And, ultimately, thatís the test of a beerís worth, now isnít it. Say, friend, you got any of that good sasparilla?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Medium, foamy white head. Light golden yellow color. Medium strength nose - hoppy and vegetable notes. Light and crisp palate. Typical pilsner taste: light hops, skunky, vegetal. Pretty standard in my book and boring in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Donít know why it took me so long to get around to trying this stuff--must be my ale fetish keeping me away from the pilseners. Anyway, really enjoyed this. Malt flavor dominates, sweet and slightly caramel flavors complement a taste not unlike good artisinal bread. Finishes with a nice crisp hop bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Slightly skunky aroma. Good clean looking beer. Skunkiness evident in flavor. Must find this on tap somewhere. It has got to be better than this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
friejose (24) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Terrific, great mouth feel, very enjoyable

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JPDIPSO (4958) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 21, 2002
Iíll rate the fresh samples iíve had. Although the hops and body have diminished in the last few years the sharp spicy saaz aroma is one of the tops. Dark clear straw color. Nice malt body that has also thinned as of late. Still a nice dry bitter finish. When fresh - still one of the best examples.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Bolt (117) - Boulder Creek, California, USA - JUN 21, 2002
Iíll have to try this one again and re-rate it because I think what I had on tap was spoiled. It tasted skunky, and sour.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - JUN 21, 2002
With all the hype surrounding this beer, I can only conclude that the keg at the bar was infected. Iíll have to try it again at another bar to know for sure. ADDENDUM: I tried Urquell on draught at a different bar and it was infected again. Tasted exactly like the first sampling - vinegary. 2ND ADDENDUM: Three strikes and youíre out. Bud, Fosterís, Sam Adams and Urquell were my choices so I went for the Urquell with a great deal of scepticism considering my two previous experiences. Vinegar strikes again, making Urquell 3 for 3 on that score for me. There comes a time when you just have to accept the truth and quit fighting, and I think Iíve reached that point with this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 20, 2002
Not nearly as bad as I expected. I drank it on draft and it wasnít as skunky as everyone says it is in the US. Probably the best pilsner Iíve had, but that doesnít say a hell of a lot. Light, slightly hoppy, very clear.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - JUN 20, 2002
not much of a pilsner fan but this is pretty good, nice hop presence, aroma was a tad skunky, if I have to drink a pilsner this is the one i prefer