overall
Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3262   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - NOV 15, 2001
After all the hype I had heard, I expected more than what I got. It was skunky indeed. I tried to pop the top bartender style and broke glass off the neck. I should have poured it out assuming that some glass had fallen into the beer...but I ended up drinking it unfortunately.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - NOV 9, 2001
Decent Pils. It was skunky, but I liked it better than St. Pauli Girl. Drinkable

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Worldly99 (3) - Garland, Texas, USA - NOV 5, 2001 does not count
Best beer in the world. Don’t drink it from the bottle, pour it into a Pilsner glass and just sit and enjoy that aroma, your first sip should make your eyes roll back into your head from pleasure. I’ve lived and traveled to quite a few places on earth and have to say I’ve not found a better beer. Although I’ve not yet been to the Czech Republic I did drink this fresh in Italy and Germany. And judging from the amount of spent bottles I saw laying in German trash cans I can honestly say that the Berliners at least love this stuff! Budvar used to be #1 on my list, but that was before I tasted Pilsner Urquell.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AlexF4099 (10) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2001
This should be ranked as a great beer. Definitely worth the price.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jpm8920 (152) - Park Ridge, New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2001
pretty good brew. kind of a dry taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
legion242 (2250) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 10, 2001
Classic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
radek6999 (12) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2001
Unbeatable!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Oakes (12777) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 6, 2001
Ok, so it’s very seldom fresh at all in North America. I just remember a few years ago in Halifax when I had some straight off the boat. That’s where these high marks come from. When fresh, this is a first-rate pilsner. When not fresh, well, it’s like any other beer that isn’t fresh. Usually on this side of the ocean you’ll want to get it on tap or from the can, to avoid skunkage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
psark (54) - Binghamton, New York, USA - OCT 5, 2001
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2007 A potentialy great beer which is almost always skunked by the time it gets to the states. When they learn to use brown bottles they might make more money. The non-skunky ones I’ve had have a very refined pilsner malt aroma perfectly balanced with fine noble hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kodos (205) - USA - OCT 4, 2001
I can’t believe that the batch I got was fresh. It was relatively flat tasting and reminded me of a slightly better version of the American pilsener. I’d LOVE to give this a try fresh, Im sure it would receive higher marks.