Brewed by Plzensky Prazdroj (SABMiller)
Style: Czech Pilsner (Světlý)
Plzen, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 3551   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
It is called the "model of meter" among beers. All other pilsners are a better or worse attempt to copy the original - the first ever Pilsner Urquell. Its unparalleled exceptionality is guaranteed by the same recipe dating from 1842.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 23, 2004
Bottled (660ml). People seem to love this or hate it. I can't believe the number of comments about it being stale or skunked - how can a supposedly world class beer distributed in a such a state. Mine wasn't skunked, but I just don't find it that exciting. I'm not really a big lager fan and I don't find it a crisp as many do. There's a lot a maltiness in there. So I don't love it or hate it, I just find it unexceptional. I prefer Budvar and some other Czech pilsners. I suppose it might be different if I were drinking it fresh in a bar in Plzen, but I doubt I'll be doing that any time soon.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Tessic (983) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 2, 2004
This beer pours golden yellow with a white slightly creamy head. Aromas of corn sugar and hops. Initial sip tasted a strong flavour of corn syrup. Mouthfeel was slightly creamy. Hoppy middle with a some what bitter finish. All along with the flavour of pure corn syrup.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 9, 2004
draft in asheville- have drank this alot just never rated it until i realized i hadnt. this is not bad, it definately lacks in some aspects- it has a weird flavor that i cant really describe- BUT it is a great summer time beer when you are hot as hell. all in all a good effort.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - APR 7, 2004
On tap - Slaughtered Lamb Greenwich Village. A slightly creamy aroma more characterful than most pilsners. The colour is golden but over-carbonated. Flavour is slightly creamy and wheaty. Not bad for a pilsener and apparently much copied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
emotv (353) - Izmir, TURKEY - JUL 16, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 15, 2007 Golden colour,bitter aroma,not the best pilsner.But the first it seems. Hoppy taste on front aga’n after tasted years later. Good Lager.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - AUG 20, 2004
Fair beer. Probably much better out of the tap than after an Atlantic voyage and who know how long warehoused and stored. Slightly more orange than the typical American pilsener. Flavor is grassy. Nice malt start and hop finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brewmaster88 (53) - Petrolia, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 26, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2010 Re-rating this...500ml can...My tastes over the years have grown and now I have gained much respect for this beer. Pours gold with an above average white head. Sweet than bitter dry finish. Nicely balanced. Very affordable right now here in Canada ;)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nate (3826) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 12, 2005
Bottled in Pilsen. Biscuit and some caramel, bitter hops, and quite a bit of skunky aroma intially - though it seems to dissipate. Golden amber clear body with thin off-white head. Medium body with medium-high carbonation, smooth. Starts with good acidity and bitterness, some biscuit in the sweetness of the malt. Crisp overall, with a decent hoppy finish. After is medium bitter but otherwise clean. Decent pilsener.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
haddonsman (1234) - Derby, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - FEB 2, 2006
Bottled. It’s pale and grassy, a little gassy, not a hog but nor too classy.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUN 25, 2006
Can 500 ml. I just don’t get Czech pilsener, I know the story, but I just don’t think they taste good, at all. Especially not Urqell, which is supposed to be the mothership of them all. The nose is skunky, metallic and reminds me of shoddy Swedish beer in general (Spendrups anyone?). Taste is not much better, thin and soapy. Tasting this parallell to an India ale and the ale has such an appetizing hop bitterness compared to Urqell. I’m wondering what the Saaz-hops is all about? Still, I’m going to give this guy a couple of more tries... just not in the near future.