Brewed by Pink Elephant
Style: Traditional Ale
Blenheim, Malborough, New Zealand

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.28/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Some think I am describing myself. I canít comment as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Many years ago I made an Old Peculiar. The Ale you have before you is distantly related. It should be reminiscent of the ancient ales matured in scungy old wood barrels.

Thereís a softness and maybe some sourness present. If you think you are a beer expert then you must be really old in order to express an opinion based on knowledge. So, what do you think?

Jimthechap's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jimthechap (1692) - Christchurch, - JUN 18, 2011
Iíve braced myself, Iím pretending that Iím old enough to appreciate this beer and Iím contemplating what is in store for me. I purchased this beer three months ago, I have kept it in a cool dark place and besides a few severe earthquakes it has been kept still and undisturbed. So what ought I expect? Probably a beer that expands my horizons. I can handle sour, I have enjoyed gueze beer. I can handle dark beers, I love stout. I can handle old beers, I have enjoyed a few barley wines. Crash positions chaps: This beer is jet black and has a huge mocha coloured head and before poking my nose over the glass there is a marmite on toast aroma that Iím particularly keen on and dark chocolate. Then the nose goes into the glass and there roast beef, stock and port reduction. This smells like it ought to have had meat in it. It is full and makes for ruminative contemplation. The more I sniff the more sour aromas start to waft. And then I look back at how much I have typed and not tasted. Am I old enough? Jesus fucking Christ almighty! I wasnít expecting that! Sour, vinuous and marmighty. Red wine left in the sun, mixed with the juice from a lamb roast and barrel matured. Not much in the way of funky blue cheese as I was expecting, but then I wasnít sure I should have been expecting it. Iím at a loss to describe the particular circus going on with my palate. I have been a big advocate of Pink Elephant over the years. This beer will polarise and in some cases (like mine) delight. Wow.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
grapengrain (125) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 7, 2010
Bright flavour. Dark, rich and malty with nice sourness and a hint of hop flavour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
rgrep (156) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 16, 2010
Pours black with a fizzy brown head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin off-white foam. Aroma is slightly sour with coffee and milk chocolate notes. Big and soft mouthfeel with a soday sourness that isnít particularly pleasant. Lingering finish that makes me want to pour a glass of something else.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
donfardz64 (538) - Wellington, New Zealand, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 21, 2010
Pours black, tan head. Aroma has hints of roast and the classic sour aroma expected of a lambic.
Sourness dominates the initial flavour, which brings a fruity element in. Like a sour stonefruit. The thing that kills it for me is the roasty coffee finish. This cleans out the fun sourness, giving the impression of a botched batch of porter.
This beer would be awesome without the roast malt.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sdriessen (320) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 5, 2010
I had no idea what to expect when I opened the bottle, and I was pleasantly surprised with everything!
Pours black with a large brown head that diminishes.
Aroma: Lots of chocolate and alcohol. Something like Brett, or acid, and spicy notes. Very deep and rich. Drool.
The flavours knocked me on my ass. So much sourness, but maintaining tonnes of flavour with a full body. I hardly expected that much sourness from the aroma... But I love it so much. Flavours of sour berries, chocolate, raisins and clove. Meandering about in the background are some dusty horseblanket characters. To culture some of this on a petri dish would be so fun.
Finishes dry, with lots of lingering flavour. One of my favourite beers, largely because it does taste like it came out of a "scungy wood barrel".