overall
Brewed by Brauerei Pinkus Müller
Style: Altbier
Münster, Germany

RATINGS: 573   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Made of organic country malt, top-fermenting yeast, natural hops and first-class brewing water in long-proven brewing procedure, strictly after the German purity requirement.

Hoppocrytes (2) - - DEC 24, 2014 does not count
This beer caught me by surprise. I was expecting something traditionally malty and slightly sweet like most German beers. Instead, it is a dry, slightly sour, very grassy tasting beverege that approaches Orval in its complexity. Don’t drink this beer to dream fondly of the Oktoberfests of your youth. Drink it to remind yourself how surprising and delicious malt, yeast, hops and water can be. This beer is incredible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2002
amazingly smooth... nice ale taste with zero after taste. One of the best ale’s i’ve had. Can’t beat anything that follows the purity law .

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LarsHolmer (112) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - FEB 27, 2003
My rating refers to the beer you get in the brewery fresh from cask. The bottles I brought home was not the same at all. This yellow altbier made in an organic process, really gives you the impression of how it must have tasted 150 years ago. Rich flavours and flowers in the nose. Very apart from the bottled version.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmc619 (499) - California, USA - MAR 27, 2015
Visiting Münster so had to check out the local classic. We got to the hotel, dropped our stuff, and walked straight to the brewpub. Pretty quiet Saturday afternoon in March, cold and rainy outside, perfect for a German feast accompanied by great beer. Started out with the classic alt. Loved it. Somewhere between a Dusseldorf alt and Kolsch, and with that characteristic tanginess. Really nice beer - super easy-drinking and unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Frank (3270) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Slightly cloudy and golden amber in color. Excellent lacing is left behind by a huge rocky head. This is a malt masterpiece. Lovely malt aroma with hints of citrus and spice. The flavor follows suit with more fruity yeasty flavors becoming appearant. Ordinarily, I don't tend to like beers this sweet but it really works well here as it matches the full, round mouthfeel perfectly. Truly delicious and a new favorite of mine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Puddleglum (16) - Ohio, USA - MAY 9, 2005
I am more familiar with Dusseldorf Alt Biers and this is a Munster Alt which I was told would be slightly different. I found it to be a little less acidic than the Alts I am familiar with and was pleased greatly with the mildly fruity and citrus qualities along with the grain flavor. It was quite good and organic for good measure. I would still prefer a Hannon Alt but this will certainly do.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - FEB 5, 2006
Excellent, very tasty, "organic" altbier from an excellent Muster, Germany brewery. This beer is an "alt" in the sense that is an ale, and brewed in the "old" tradition, but stylistically is not an example of Dusselforf altbier. This beer pours to a slightly hazy, deep golden color, with a thick and creamy, white head, and a moderate carbonation. The nose is inviting with aromas of fresh pale malt, light fruit, and some herbal hop aroma. The palate is round, with good pale malt flavor, and hints of light fruit. This beer finishes with pale malt and fruit up front, then ends with a clean, mild, hop bitterness. Very well done, very drinkable beer. Very food friendly as well. Would work well with a number of dishes, from lighter fare, to hearty German fare. I’d enjoy this one with grilled brautwurst, and cold potato sald with a vinegar base and fresh parsley.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - DEC 15, 2000
Very light colored beer. Looks like an American macro-lager. Great rocky white head. Clarity like I’ve rarely seen...straw yellow color. A very nice beer...very refreshing. Nice bitterness...and a nice balance with what I’d guess is Munich malt. Germans are known for their beer...and it’s with good reason. This isn’t the best German beer I’ve experienced...but it’s still leaps and bounds above most of the beers I’ve tried in my life. I love this sort of beer....it just makes me happy to know there are people still brewing great beer out there

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
shalloWMeans (169) - Independence, Kentucky, USA - SEP 1, 2008
On this particular night, I was in need of a brew to accompany a summer grillout with some nice German bratwursts. I first considered a Rauchbier, but that had been done before. Then i realized, what better partner to a smoky, juicy weiner than a nice malty altbier? As soon as it was poured, I was impressed by the distinct, appetizing aroma. A strong buttery pecan and brown sugar malt character tickles the nose. Toast, caramelized apples, slight smoke, tart pear, and butterscotch all round out the aroma. On top of that, the beer looks amazingly delicious. A very large, frothy, festive head forms above the rim of the glass. The body is a coppery honey-amber to gold color, quite a bit lighter than a classic alt. The first noticeable factor in the taste is the soft, chewy, buttery sweetness, with caramelized malt, honey, marzipan, butter-toffee and molasses. There really is no percievable hop bitterness, and the beer finishes smooth and sweet, with a lighter body than a classic Dusseldorfer alt, which have a strong, puckering dryness and fuller, stronger body. This beer really is delicious though, hands-down a perfect accompanyment to grilled food and good times. Perfectly rounded, smoothly malted, oily and slippery on the tongue. I love it.

mikedR (1529) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - OCT 31, 2013
My first foray into this style, so I am judging across styles and not just this one in particular. The base malt reminds me a lot of an ESB, but the flavor is imbued with a non-bitter zing at the end. Not too shabby overall. B- ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone