overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 24   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
When the weather warms and minds turn to summerís delights, true Americans celebrate our great nationís birth the best way we know how... drinkiní beers and blowin stuff up. In honor of this most hallowed of traditions we present Sam vs Unicorn, an Imperial Red ale brewed exclusively with American grown hops Weíre sure youíll find to be the perfect pairing for Life, Liberty and the pursuit of semi-controlled explosions.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2013
22oz bomber bought for $10 at The Beer Temple in Chicago. Batch #161, bottled 7/2/13. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Appearance: Pours a deep red/brown color that is hazy as hell (with a few random chunks) with tiny bubbles that form a creamy, two finger, tan head. Lacing is great. Smell: Tons of hops... really, a ton of them. I can also pick up on some sort of malt sweetness, but this definitely has a ton of hops. Thereís also a sort of citrus and citrus rind smell in this beer as well. Taste/feel: Some sort of peach and maybe mango flavors hit the tongue first, for me. After that, that distinctive, piney hop flavor comes through with a moment of cotton candy sweetness. On the finish, thereís a fairly large spicy hop and malt presence that I thought would be throughout each sip, given that itís supposedly an Amber/Red. Thereís a slight afterburn and warmth in the throat on the swallow to suggest the amount of alcohol, but itís not in the aroma or flavor at all. The feel is extremely silky, but almost too much so -- smooth as hell, and drinks like itís been nitroíd. I tend to only like my porters/stouts to have such a character, but it works pretty well here. I really enjoy this beer, but itís not *quite* what I was expecting. This drinks like a red IPA rather than an amber. I donít really mind that at all, but people should know that this is absolutely loaded with hops before going in. Very tasty. Iím impressed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopsclation (89) - Chicago, - JUL 30, 2013
Wow, i didnt know anything about this beer but I was blown away. I even considered giving it my first perfect rating, but couldnt quite bring myself to do it. Mouth watering complex tart bitterness, oh baby! Carmel green apple, iced tea, and loads of dark tropical fruit. Mouthfeel is creamy but not heavy and the abv is nonexistent. Its sold as a "4th of july beer" but to me it seems like a perfect "get drunk trying to do a corn maze on a crisp fall day" kind of beer. I couldnt give it a perfect rating because its perhaps a bit too sour, with a slight sulphur in the aftertaste...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jduker000 (18) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 27, 2013
Pours a deep, hazy maroon with an off white head that settles nicely. The nose is absolutely beautiful. So rich with notes raspberry (sorbet?), cherry, malt, and all American hops. Seriously one of the best aromas I?ve smelled. The taste lives up to the nose. Very rich and complex. Booze is hidden well, dangerous. I poured the sediment in because it doesn?t bother me. Palate is slightly sticky with hints of alcohol. Pretty clean overall. Very delicious beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dhasmonek (15) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 22, 2013
Excellent brew. It pours a beautiful deep copper color with a reasonable head. Good balance of hops to tastefully offset this malty brew.