overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Van Steenberge
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Ertvelde, Belgium

RATINGS: 1553   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Piraat is a wickedly rich and rounded brew that packs a mighty punch. The powerful glow builds up from inside. Deep golden with a subtle haze. Lots of hops and malt. Mild sweetness. Reminiscent of bread dough, spices and tropical fruits.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
A very typical belgian strong. Quite delicious

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
To me this is nearly the epitome of a Belgian Strong ale. I tried this in draught at Buckeye Brewing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 15, 2002
First taste was almost overpowering with alchohol. An unbalanced rating was sure to follow. But, much to my surprise, by the third sip, this had won me over. A nice sweet/strong flavor = malts were not too thick, but seemed to be just right. I didn’t get a whole lot of hops in this, maybe just the dry finish. nice. (On draft at Buckeye Brewing)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
boto (1807) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - DEC 11, 2002
Very interesting. Alot of alchohol, but no overpowering taste. Very clean and drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2002
Nose of spicy clove-banana, light bubbles on the palate, cloudy. Intricate lacing on the glass. Yeasty sweet malt. Alcohol apparent at the finish. I liked more and more as I drank it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3226) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2004 Kick-ass brew. The most noticeable aspect is the pineapple aroma. I was thinking it would be overpowering, but the pineapple is barely tasted. It looks like a regular beer like bud. I would have never guessed the content was so high, though. RE-RATE. Yeastly, some sour notes, maybe some fruitiness but not as much as I initially remember. Has a hoppy bitter finish with hints of sweetness and spices sprinkled in. Good, but not as good as I thought. Decreasing the aroma from a 10 to a 7. Increasing the appearance from a 3 to a 4. Decreasing the flavor from a 9 to a 7 and decreasing the overall from an 18 to a 15

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - NOV 29, 2002
Huge frothy eggshell colored head. The beer is a slightly hazy orange color. Very different kind of aroma. It had hints of alcohol, bread, musk, sweetness, and some sourness. The flavor was sweet, with a sour/musky aftertaste. Actually, I didn’t taste the alcohol much. Another interesting brew that leaves me a little confused.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
WISEGUY572 (1372) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol. Coriander, coriander, coriander. Sweet malt and banana and orange in abundance. Beautiful golden color and great head. But too much of everything. Probably should not drive or operate machinery of any sort after even handling the bottle. Four of us in a bar had a great laugh over this and we thought we liked the beer but we could not finish the bottle. Duvel on steroids?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (6321) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - NOV 23, 2002
The look of Piraat Amber could not be any better with just right amount of gas, pleasant tonation bright orange-brown with thick, thick white crown. Very nice, soft gentle aroma. With alcohol content that is over 10 % is very hard to hide its presence. It is not too sweet or aggressive. Sweetness travels well into warming smooth aftertaste. Great beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 I poured so vigorously that I hurt myself and the head exploded above the cloudy orange mess...yeast infected banana gum...stupendiously spicy!!!...a tad too much although not in a sweet way..dryness but spicy..lingering spices...moldy banana bread and flemmy throats..leaving me infected!!