overall

RATINGS: 1346   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   IBU: 182   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
First brewed in 2002 to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the original Pizza Port location in Solana Beach, we searched high and low and combined 15 of our favorite hops which were added every 15 minutes to the boil. Somewhat darker than other Double IPA style beers, our beer oozes the hop goodness of pine needles, freshly squeezed citrus and ground spices which are only moderately tempered by a sweet malt finish. Thankfully, for all of us hopheads, we have decided to brew this beer more than once a year. Look for Hop 15 to make appearances from time to time when space permits us to brew this, one of our favorite ales.
Alcohol content varies. Spring 2012 batch is 11% ABV. Spring 2013 is 10%.

hapjydeuce (945) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 13, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2007 Bottle from Pizza Port Carlsbad. I had this one on tap at Liars Club back in January 07, and had to up my score after tasting it again, wowness! I think my taste has developed more since then, yah! The monstrous aroma of resiny hops fills the room upon pouring, with a sweet and spicy grapefruit & lemon nose. The malt is subtle when compared to the huge hop profile in the aroma, yet still rounds it out with a good sweetness. Each sip is a true palate-wrecker, with excellent bitterness staining the tongue for minutes on end. Well balanced with the sweet malt (the only element that attempts to restrain the vicious glory of the hops). Truly an ass-kicking beer at 10% ABV, being so easy to drink a bomber. Great IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 12, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2007 Had this numerous times. Yesterday being my favorite of all. This IIPA is superb.. Hops, pine, citrus, perfect finish and great balance for being such a big beer - doesnít go syrupy/sweet considering the high abv - it stays nice and crisp. After having it fresh from the brewery, I can see why it is so well liked - how can you not like a beer that offers a profound experience of hops? Count me in.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drewbeerme (3879) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 7, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2009 sampled on tap at the 5th Boulder Strong Ale Fest. first sample of the night so here we go...pours clear golden with white head. lots of PNW hops in the nose. hop flavor comes off a bit messy and really bitter. even for a iipa. some caramel, cookie notes as well. thereís some alcohol heat too. this is a true hop bomb, fun to drink, but just too much and unbalanced..3.7.

Sep 30, 2007, 22oz bottle. pours beautiful dense ruby w/ white head. nose is very fruity and piney hop notes, grapefruit, mango. flavor is almost bruisingly bitter with touch of alcohol and caramel malty finish. the hop nose could a bit fresher, i think they sat on these bombers for a month or two...? anyways, i like that this iipa is actually really bitter and big with a big hop flavor thatís crisp and still fruity. too many so-called iipa are just focused on a big hop nose and flavor but lacks balance. this is very big and awesome.3.9.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
alohaC (12) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 2, 2007
As I sit here drinking from a fresh growler from Tomme that was brought back to Hawaii, I feel compelled to pay homage to the beer that helped turn me into a serious hophead several years ago when I was living in San Diego. Poured into my trusty Duvel tulip glass to a beautiful 2-inch head that slowly dissipates. Just sipping the froth, you get immediate hop candy - sweet malt and hops, hops and hops. Damn, this beer smells as good I remember. Sweet citrus/grapefruit, floral and pine with perhaps a little peach and pineapple. The color - a beautiful, clean orange-ish red. Extremely smooth over the tongue and then BAM! come the fresh, wet hops. 15 varieties that meld together beautifully and are balanced by a nice caramel malt backbone. Mouthfeel is excellent with a bit of resinous hop oil and nice carbonation.Talk about a smooth drinker for a big hop-laden IIPA - I can drink this all night. Especially with the alcohol as well hidden as it is. No alcohol hotness to this one like Pliny the Younger. Just a damn near perfect San Diego IIPA. Cheers to Tomme and Josh on this latest batch - you havenít lost your touch on this one. One of my all-time favorites. Now I fondly remember why I used to stop by Solana after work for growlers of this on a daily basis! I was bummed this stuff was still in the brite tank and not bottled when I was at the brewery last weekend, but this is one Iíll be stocking up on when itís finally ready.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - MAR 21, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2007 Tap at Toronado. Not sure if it is hoppily profound or profoundly hoppy , but it is certainly an experience. Almost like a wet hops version this one is hops forward. Amazingly enough there is some complexity mixed in in addition to the standard floral aromas and pine and grapefruit. Hides the alcohol well, maybe too well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iowaherkeye (2691) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - MAR 18, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2007 Rerate22oz bottle, no date. Clear orange with slight reddish highlights and a fading light yellowish head, fairly creamy. Aroma of pine, perfumey floral hops, scorched caramel and light toast. I get a touch of alcohol as well. Flavor does add a bit of spicy and woody hop character, though I never did pick up on much of the citrus that the label states, nor from my previous rating. Strange. I think I originally thought this was an IPA (@ Najaís). Oh wait, there it is. Some ripe oranges or tangerines, however faint, is definitely there towards the end of the swallow and the finish. Bitterness is around a 6-7 out of 10--mainly at the back corners of my tongue itís fairly intense. Canít really tell that itís 10.5%, but Iíd figure 8%. Medium body with light to moderate carbonation. Very nice IIPA. Old rating follows. Had this @ Najaís after I drank Pliny the Younger, so this seemed to pale in comparison. I actually thought it was a 7% IPA at best. Clear orange golden with a frothy one finger light yellowish head. Aroma of passionfruit Skittles, oranges, pineapple, and some sweet toffee that reminds me of Dales Pale and Lake Louie Kiss the Lips IPA. Flavor was the same, somewhat astringent, and an earthy bitter dry finish. 6-7 on 1-10 scale for bitterness. The taste is a little fruitier than the aroma. Burps spicy oranges. Never would have guessed this at 10.5%. Moderate carbonation and a medium body. 7-4-7-3-14--3.5

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bikesandbeers (547) - san diego, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
On tap, Porterís Pub @ UCSD. golden with almost no head. Aroma was standard IPA fair citrus an pine. Flavor was big and hoppy but with a decent amount of malt. It was hard to isolate anything else in this beer, it was really just a profund experiencevery smooth, very complete. I couldnít tell it was 10%, I would have guessed 7-8%.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
Draft. Dark orange in color with an off-white head. Resiny pine aromas with tons of citrus. Extremely hop forward and a bit almost harsh- the way I imagine they brewed it to be. Good bit of malt sweetness but I wouldnít call it balanced by any stretch of the imagination. More pine flavors and orange notes. Surprisingly dry for a beer this big. Very well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerBB (132) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2007 UPenn tasting. golden color..very floral aroma. definatley very hoppy. not quite the the hop balance I had hoped for in a Pizza Port beer. I need to try again in a different setting In fairness probably not enough time to really taste this beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2007
Sample at UPennís Tutored Tasting í07. Poured a golden/amber color. Wonderfully floral aroma. Flavor was definitely on the bitter side. To me, it seems some of hops did not play well together. Blending was not quite right for me. Somewhat unbalanced.