overall

RATINGS: 134   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Summer Pale Ale is our version of the iconic West Coast-style Pale Ale. Our brewerís decided this beer should be all about the hops. Therefore, we brew it without any crystal malt. In choosing to brew a beer this way, we are left to focus solely on the expressive nature of the hops they choose for this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
daknole (9114) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2011
Tap at Lost Abbey. Pours a lightly cloudy yellow. Superb grassy and floral notes. Flavor is so full of floral hop goodness. Creamy big bodied brew. Wow.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
unclemattie (4189) - Georgia, USA - JUL 19, 2013
Growler @ Cumming Growler Shop. Pours clear, golden color. Thick tan foam. Good lacing. Aroma of floral hops, loads of alphas. Flavor is bold, sharp, and overpowering hops. Bitter resin taste. Huge pine. Sticky malt, nice body. No flavor of malts at all. Itís all hops in this one. (3766)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jstraw (1922) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 15, 2012
Draft at Jerryís. Darker gold with good, foamy, white head / Bright, sweet nose of orange, grapefruit, weed, pine, and cream / Medium body, a hint watery, lightly sweet with excellent balance and bitter finish / Stylish flavors of orange peel, grapefruit, bubblegum, cut pine, and honey / Could use a little more heft, but still excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
johnbuck100 (239) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 28, 2012
On tap at Tria, Philadelphia near Rittenhouse Sq. Wow, very fresh West Coast Hop aroma. Pours light orange. Delicious fresh flavor. Hoppy but very clean tasting. One of the best Pale Ales I have had. Extremely Highly Recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - SEP 12, 2009
I wasnít sure what to expect when I walked up to the counter at Lost Abbey to pick up my Sinnerís Blend allotment. "What would you like?" asked Molly. I shrugged my shoulders, "Iím not sure." "How about a Summer Pale Ale?" she asks. Mollys seems to be able to read my mind faster than I can, which is going to get me into trouble one of these days. Oh yeah, I havenít rated that yet... cool, I tell myself. A pint of cloudy orange yellow beer now sits in front of me. Hophead84 is standing next to me with the same beer in his hand. He has an incredible collection of rare beers. Note to self: drink Shaneís rare beers. Hey wow, this beer is awesome. Low on the early boil bitterness, but still enough to keep it interesting. Lots of body, unlike many watery summer beer. Very high drinkability, which has become very important to me lately. Nice combination of west coast hops. Light sweetness. This is really an excellent beer. I think it would be great to see regularly on tap or bottled. Though pale ale seems to be popular with the masses, and I love it too, Iíve never thought the name pale ale is fitting for most pale ales, because they arenít really pale in color, nor are they pale in flavor. Just my once cents worth. Again, excellent beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5336) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2010
[Draft @ Local 44] Lightly hazy dark golden color with a medium sized, white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of pine, citrus, simcoe, amarillo, toast, and faint sweetness. Taste of grass, pine, citrus, with some toffee, toast, and grapefruit finish.

tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 31, 2009
Poured a slightly hazy straw yellow. Nose was bright with hops, noe sweetness on the nose, just chinook and cascade. Taste was very light, low in dextrine, crisp light crystal malts, refreshing hop bitterness. Could be a heavenly session beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DuffManSW (436) - Riverside, California, USA - OCT 10, 2009
On tap at Lost Abbey.. Pours golden with a white head.. Aroma is floral hops.. Flavor was very hoppy, more like a IPA than a pale ale.. Lots of carbonation.

LtDan (1784) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - SEP 24, 2010
Appearance: Pours a yellow gold with an amber tint. Not much head on this draft pour.

Aroma: Lemon and tangerine burst.

Taste: Grapefruit, mango and dry malt.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, crisp, tingly, refreshing, juicy.

Overall: This is my favorite kind of beer. Big on juicy hops, easy to put down. Think Mission Street Pale Ale, San Diego County Session or Firestone Walker Pale 31.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
crackedmachine (471) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 28, 2012
Pours a lovely hazy yellow-orange with a large off-white head. Great citrus, hoppy aroma on par with some heavier IPAs, a little biscuit, little sweetness to speak of. Flavor matches, with a lot of bright, bitter, citrus and grapefruit. A little pine. Bitter! Incredibly flavorful and aromatic for a beer so drinkable. Excellent.