Porterhouse Haus Weiss

Formerly brewed at Porterhouse
Style: German Hefeweizen
Dublin, Ireland
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 25   MEAN: 3.05/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
Notoriously difficult to brew in Germany and called Shizen beer by German Brewers. Haus Weiss offers everything from a classic wheat beer; subtle banana flavour touching on mango.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jefcon (1350) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAR 24, 2006
A shifty brew: light, clean and amber, but with rich yeast aromas and a champagne-size bubble. Citrus, banana and some charcoal on the taste. Bright, short palate. Different take on a hefe breaking the mold. Probably too minerally for many.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
HarryFlashman (469) - Chatham, Kent, ENGLAND - JUN 23, 2007
Pretty good, if a little bland - not got much of that Hefeweizen fruitiness that some of the pukka Gerry beers have. Reminded me of Erdinger in that sense - good, but not the real deal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (246) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 15, 2007
A pint of Oyster Stout under my belt, I decided to call for something lighter and the Haus Weiss was just what I needed. Poured a rather uninspiring cloudy golden hue and topped of nondescript white foam, this one wasn’t after good looks. The aroma, however, was replete with sweet scents and exciting memories of my childhood. The artificial but always Proustian fragrances of Haribo’s Fraises Tagada and Bananes are unmistakable and dominate beside bubble gum, wheat and subtle lemon zest. Apparent again on the tongue, estery banana is prominent alongside bubble gum, wheat, green apple and chalk. The lightly acidic and well carbonated texture furthers the sugarcoated sensation. Reminiscent of the birthday parties of my youth, days when my parents would be lenient on my candy intake (or weren’t there to stop me), this beer is a real treat for both mind and palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
UnsofistaCat (234) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2006
Big time banana but not really hazy. I also thought there was an artificial element to this one, although I know they use all natural ingredients.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IrishEoin (19) - IRELAND - FEB 21, 2007
Lovely golden colour, beautiful frothy white head. Very smooth beer that tastes mildly of banana with a strong wheaty aftertaste. Good from both Porterhouse Central and North.