Portsmouth Biere De Miele
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.37/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Zach Bodah our parttime assistant had a go at a honeymoon beer we let him design. His choice is one of my favorite styles: Saison but not any ordinary saison it is a saison made with honey which in the beer world is known as a Biere de Miele. Honey beer!! Zachs recipe called for some special honey malt and 35 pounds of wildflower honey. It tasted good even before it started fermenting! Some of our special T-58 yeast was the yeast of choice for that unique saison flavor profile.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
thornecb (4501) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 16, 2012
Pours deep amber into a snifter. White conglomerate head with good retention recedes leaving trailing spiders. Spring flowers, caramel and honey aromas. Sweet and thin with caramel and honey upfront turning to sour summer fruit and yeast in the medium-length finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lukaduke (2312) - Portland, Maine, USA - JUN 11, 2012
Pours a deep copper almost brown color with very subtle head. Aromas are slight... a lil honey malty sweetness. on the palate its got alot more flavor then the nose will lead you to believe. Nice caramel roasted notes, touches of fig, honey, apple and lil earthy spice. Not sure it hits the Saison style on the head... leaning more towards a Belgian Dubbel but a tasty beer for sure !

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
davey101 (693) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 8, 2012
On tap at the Portsmouth Brewery. 10 oz pour into a snifter. From notes. A - Dark red body. Two finger off white head. Nice amount of lacing and retention. S - Dark fruits, apple juice, caramel malts, and funky spice. T - Candied dark fruits, apple juice, honey and caramel malts. The finish is of spicy yeast and slightly alcoholic. Lingering aftertaste. Light to medium mouth feel with a nice amount of carbonation. O - I really enjoyed this beer. I really don’t see how it falls under the saison category though. It has some of the hay and funk associated with saisons, but the dark fruits and honey sweetness makes it seem almost like a dubbel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AirForceHops (3403) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 28, 2012
Draft, served in a snifter. Color was a cloudy ruby. Thin off white head little retention. Nose is malt with enormous amounts of honey. Real sweet. Yeast with so much honey gives me mead like flavor. Honey… honey and still yet more honey. Not a bad brew, just kind of one dimensional. Mild yeast, candy sugar and a lighter sweet body.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6096) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 13, 2011
In short: A sweet phenolic kind-of-Saison. Meh.
How: Tap at Vermont Brewers Festival 2011
The look: Clear golden body topped by a small beige head
In long: Nose is annoyingly phenolic with notes of hospital gloves and bubblegum over light rustic notes. Taste has chewy honeyed malts, too much bubblegum, sweet canned peaches, hospital gloves, light spiciness, too sweet, no hops. Kind of a mess. I’m a big Saison-head so this was a major disappointment. I usually find just about all Saisons to be underrated because it is my favorite style but I find this one to be overrated. But with me you can always expect the unexpected, if you lend me $5, I’ll take off my shoes, rub my socks in your face and I’ll call it even.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TaktikMTL (5922) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 31, 2011
Verre de dégustation, provenant d’un fût, au Vermont Brewers Festival 2011 (Burlington, VT). Arôme: Légère odeur de miel et d’épices. Apparence: La couleur est cuivrée. Présence d’un mince col mousseux et d’une fine dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Léger goût de miel avec une pointe d’épices et de sucré. Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture légèrement huileuse. Moyenne effervescence en bouche. Légère présence d’épices en arrière goût. (Rating #3797)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
punkska101 (942) - Chambly, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 19, 2011
11.07.16 sampled @ vbf hazy copper thick white head. A: banana, cloves, honey F: body is medium almost full finish is sweet and medium. O: too sweet for a saison

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jblauvs (1340) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 22, 2011
Murky burnt orange color. Aroma is belgian yeast, some banana and bubble gum notes, with a sweet floral honeysuckle. On the lighter side, very drinkable, not overly sweet. Flavor is yeasty with more belgian spiciness, some honey sweetness kisses the tongue on the finish. nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldGrowth (2729) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - NOV 30, 2009
old note, 8/20 @ brewpub. Good aroma, sweet. Fruity, cherry and berry. honey. Some yeasty spice too. Brownish orange color, small to no head, no lace. Sweet fruity flavor. Like aroma basically. Medium body, syrupy oily mouthfeel, sweet finish. Tasty brew, Flavor was my favorite part, but not by much. Aroma grew on me as it warmed. Nice for the summer...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pastor (797) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - AUG 21, 2009
I liked this brew. It was served in a pint glass downstairs at the LaPanza lounge. It had a finger worth of off white head that transformed to a light lace. The body of the brew as an awesome caramel color slightly, cloudy as well. The nose on this thing is big ass honey, but with special honey malt and 35 pounds of wildflower honey. I guess one should expect that. The saison yeast is also present in the nose, with a light floral hop note as it warms. The flavor mimics the nose to a "T" you get the big honey sweetness up front but there is enough of a hop bitter and spices to keep it from being to coy. I had this brew green (before it fermented) and it reminded me of a nice herbal tea. The spice flavor has mellowed a bit now, they are still there but it was interesting to me how they have changed. It feels to me in my mouth like the lighter side of medium, with good carbonation. This beer is very sessionable and I have had five glasses of this already. So it drinkability is fine. I think Zach did a great job on a very interesting style. Looking forward to see this as a fixture in the summer rotation