Portsmouth Coffee Milk Stout
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 26   MEAN: 3.79/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
(...)this batch of Milk we added some house made Coffee extract too. We use some micro Roasted Costa Rican coffee beans from Buena Beans. We did a cold water extraction to leave behind the oils and acridness, but still have great flavor and aroma. the coffee is so great in this beer. You need to get in here for this one. 28IBU

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pastor (795) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - JUL 7, 2009
I have been trying to get these guys to brew a coffee stout for a while. So imagine my surprise to try this one today. Nitro tap pour into my Imperial Pint glass the thing looked gorgeous. I love nitro pours, big off white creamy looking head that went to a nice lace. The body of the brew was a typical stout black color. Great coffee aroma came up from my glass although this is my first coffee flavored stout from the tap I was very impressed. There was also a nice sweetness from the lactose that made it way thru as well. The flavor was extremely balanced I think sometimes the milk stouts can be too sweet for me. With the coffee flavors to add to the bitter made this much more drinkable in my book. Like I said I love a nitro pour it really make the mouthfeel stand out thick and creamy are two words I would use to describe it. Yes this is drinkable I had two glasses back to back. I ended up with the jitters but it was worth it. I’ll have another tomorrow

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Goodgrief (1762) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - JAN 24, 2011
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2011 Jan 2011 - Dark pour, creamy looking head and good lacing. This is a slightly coffee tinged version of the regular milk stout, which I really enjoyed. I was a bit disappointed that this wasn’t more coffee’ed up. It was still good as the base beer was good, but a missed opportunity for greatness. May 2011 - I think this is a different version as it is described as using a Costa Rica blend from Breaking New Grounds (an EXCELLENT coffee house just down the street). Much richer coffee presence. Much better. Bumped from 3.8 to 4.2.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 10, 2009
A Mes rate. Gravicask at GBBF.
Jet black with no head. Excellent aroma. Lashings of fruit, lots of coffee plus some plum and chocolate. The flavour is even better. Huge black malt hits first followed by rich rich chocolate, amazing coffee and glorious boozy notes. Stunning chalky casky finish with so much character and balance. Absolutely fantastic. Even Tom liked it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
egajdzis (5253) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2011
Nitro, black body with creamy white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee beans, cocoa, and vanilla. Taste of roasted malts, coffee, lactose, oats, and cocoa.

oh6gdx (20216) - Vasa, FINLAND - AUG 11, 2009
Cask@GBBF2009 (as Milk Coffee Stout). Deep brownish amber colour, small brown head. Aroma is bigtime roasted malts, smokke and wooden along with caramel and syrup. Flavour is much the same along with some coffee and tar. Big smoky finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DJMonarch (9158) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - NOV 11, 2009
Cask Stillage at the GBBF, Earls Court 04/08/2009 Fruity hop aroma. Black very smooth on the palate and fruity with a little dryness in a creamy burnt coffee roast finish.

fonefan (34188) - VestJylland, DENMARK - NOV 16, 2009
Cask (gravity) @ GBBF 09, Great British Beer Festival, Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England.
Clear dark brown color with a average, frothy, good lacing, mostly lasting, beige to light brown head. Aroma is moderate to heavy malty, roasted, burnt, coffee, milk chocolate. Flavor is moderate to heavy sweet and bitter with a long duration. Body is medium, texture is oily, carbonation is flat. [20090804]

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ethereal (2417) - Los Angeles, California, USA - DEC 30, 2009
Cask at GBBF 2009, 4th Aug 09. Black with a line of bubbles. Soft aroma of vanilla and coffee. There’s a violet hint that reminded me of Brewdog’s Coffee Imperial Stout. Very refined silky palate. Best enjoyed slowly and deliberately but it’s light enough on alcohol that you can enjoy it in quantity. Great stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jblauvs (1339) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 20, 2011
Black brown pour into a pint at the brewery. healthy beige head. Aroma is coffee grounds, lactose, chocolate bar, cream, milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is silk, incredibly drinkable. Flavor is thick chocolate shake, bitter coffee grounds, chocolate malt, whoppers, Damn good. Really glad I grabbed a few bottles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
johnnnniee (2144) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 25, 2012
On tap at the source Pours a solid dark brown that borders on black with a huge creamy tan head that sticks around forever and leaves plenty of lace on the way down. Smell is sweet and roasty with just a hint of coffee. Smells a little like a mix between chocolate and coffee milk. Taste is sweet an a bit sugary with lots of roast, chocolate, coffee and a hint of lactic bite that I always seem to get from beer sweetened with lactose. Smooth silky creamy mouthfeel, medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation. Very nice stout. I wish I could have tasted the milk stout and this one side by side.