overall

RATINGS: 133   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.31/5   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Using the original ingredients from when it was first brewed in 1897, we took the liquid back to its roots and made a highly sessionable everyday beer. \Bottled version brewed by the Miller plant in Irvindale, CA for the Primo Malting & Brewing Company (Pabst).
Draft version brewed by the Keoki Brewing Company on Hawaii.

Made with Pure Island Cane. First brewed in 1897.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
decaturstevo (5765) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - NOV 2, 2010
Gold pour with creamy white head and lace. Corn, sweet malt, and paper. Corn, light sweet malt with a dry finish. A bit thin and fizzy.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Ratman197 (13100) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - OCT 24, 2010
Bottle poured a clear gold with a lasting white head. Aromas of bread, corn, light straw and a hint of spicy hops. Palate was light bodied and crisp. Flavors of bread and hints of citrus and spicy hops with a crisp finish.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 23, 2010
Clear golden straw with little head to speak of, just a thin collar of white which looks ready to disappear at any given moment. Faint grains with a touch of honey sweetness makes up all that I can discern of his nose. On a side note, we as humans smell far more then we taste, and when I smell very little in a beer’s nose, then I have even less hope left for what lies below. My first quaff leaves me disturbingly perplexed. There is some weird funky stuff going on in the Primo Island Lager. Cornbread dominates with a frothy mouthfeel which makes it very hard to taste much of anything. A dry weak finish, maybe some herbs, definitely some creamed corn, and I am left with a singular impression of bleh.

Mediocrity strikes once more. I feel like I am on some sick merry-go-round of lackluster lagers with no end in sight. ~sighs~ the things I do for my passion… Self-torture aside, if you’re ever in the islands or just at the beach relaxing, make sure to grab a good beer, i.e. not Primo, kick some sand back, and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of all that surrounds you, beer included.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
RickRob925 (60) - Macclenny, Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2010
Got this at the tiki bar on the peir at cocoa cocoa beach FL. Tastes kinda like a kona lager. Light, smooth, with a uniqh tropical flavor for a taste and palate.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
Scubaguy (230) - Alberta, CANADA - OCT 9, 2010
The flavor is a little grainy and some grassy notes. Nothing special going on here. In the aroma category it’s pretty basic with some grains. Pours a golden color with a quick disappearing white head and some patchy lacing The finish is pretty clean and crisp. Has some grassy notes there. It’s pretty easy drinking. If your looking for a mindless beer this may be it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Drjohnrock (690) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2010
22 ounce bottle from Safeway in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii. Medium golden color, grainy aroma reminiscent of old time regional lagers, very foamy slighty off-white head, sweet flavor with slight soapiness, not much trace of hops. I broke my boycott of all beers brewed by Miller to try this beer and I don’t know if it really was worth it. Not unpleasant but nothing to attract a retry. Unfortunately, I didn’t encounter the draft version (which apparently isn’t made at a Miller plant) during my Hawaiian vacation. If I’m lucky enough to go back someday and can find the draft version, I’ll revisit this rating.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
17thfloor (2443) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 25, 2010
Bottle from Oahu. Pours a clear glowing lighter golden with a fizzy frothy white head. Grassy aroma with a light sweetness. Somewhat clean flavor, light bitterness, light sweetness, touch of faint apple, doughy, softer malty, with lasting bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Suttree (6052) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 21, 2010
I actually knda liked this one, for what it was. Copper, thin ring of foam. Mildly sweet, with a dryis note in the finish. A little bit of grainy flavors, too. Pretty refreshing, actually.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
troopie (2293) - Munchen an der Willamette, Oregon, USA - AUG 16, 2010
Bottle. Poured clear pale yellow with thin fast dissipating head. Sweet aroma with many sugary notes. Sweet candy and malt flavour. Sugary finish, no bitterness. Too sweet to drink again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
Crit (3809) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 15, 2010
Gold with a small fast fading white head.Salty beery nose. Bland light malt palate