overall

RATINGS: 131   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.31/5   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Using the original ingredients from when it was first brewed in 1897, we took the liquid back to its roots and made a highly sessionable everyday beer. \Bottled version brewed by the Miller plant in Irvindale, CA for the Primo Malting & Brewing Company (Pabst).
Draft version brewed by the Keoki Brewing Company on Hawaii.

Made with Pure Island Cane. First brewed in 1897.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
milewide (1958) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 5, 2014
Rated from memory, but I drank a lot of these on Hawaii. Routine lager, but fresh and cheap.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - JUN 21, 2009
Bomber. Clear gold with a huge white head that reduces quickly. Rather sweet nose, malty and somewhat corny, light grain. Flavor is grainy with a somewhat chemically grass. Finishes surprisingly dry. Meh. Borders on crappy, but I have nothing else to drink right now, so I guess I’ll find the bottom of the bottle...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
philbertk (1873) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 10, 2010
Primo Brewing and Malting Company--Pabst Brewing--Contract Brewed By MillerCoors, Irwindale, CA--Primo Island Lager--Made With Pure Island Cane--First Brewed In 1897--2010 12 oz. Bottle. 4.65% ABV. 10 IBU’s? (2.5 / 5.0) Pale Lager. Foamy thin light lace head. Clear bright thin corn yellow gold color. Very light floral front. Fizzy thin watery dry cane light caramel flavored adjunct malt body. Thin mild CO2 tang light refreshing smooth end. Dull bland but no off notes. Sampled 6/10/2010. 6-Pack $7.79.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 23, 2010
Clear golden straw with little head to speak of, just a thin collar of white which looks ready to disappear at any given moment. Faint grains with a touch of honey sweetness makes up all that I can discern of his nose. On a side note, we as humans smell far more then we taste, and when I smell very little in a beer’s nose, then I have even less hope left for what lies below. My first quaff leaves me disturbingly perplexed. There is some weird funky stuff going on in the Primo Island Lager. Cornbread dominates with a frothy mouthfeel which makes it very hard to taste much of anything. A dry weak finish, maybe some herbs, definitely some creamed corn, and I am left with a singular impression of bleh.

Mediocrity strikes once more. I feel like I am on some sick merry-go-round of lackluster lagers with no end in sight. ~sighs~ the things I do for my passion… Self-torture aside, if you’re ever in the islands or just at the beach relaxing, make sure to grab a good beer, i.e. not Primo, kick some sand back, and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of all that surrounds you, beer included.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - FEB 17, 2009
Very Fizzy lager, abit of grass, citrus, Bread,nothing really bad about it, very easy to drink, OK!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - DEC 19, 2008
Pours pale yellow with a bobbly white head. Corn and some bready malt in the nose and flavor. Quite bland.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
RedSox2004 (1571) - Pacific Palisades, California, USA - MAY 27, 2011
Pale yellow with a small bright white head that disappeared quickly and left little lacing. Syrupy corn and sugar sweetness - I guess that was cane sugar, but does it matter? Light body, harsh mouthfeel, and a belabored carbonation.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 10, 2010
Overall, this beer was terrible, it was about as vile a beer as they come. I’ll avoid it like the plague form now on.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
beernbourbon (1477) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAY 2, 2010
16 oz. can. Pour (was into my mouth) was light yellow with minimal white head. Flavor is lightly malty and faintly hoppy. It’s pale lager. Really very drinkable, I’d do it again for sure. Pretty thin on flavor and body.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Barreras (1471) - Diamond Bar, California, USA - AUG 2, 2010
Pours a golden yellow with aroma of corn. Taste of corn and slight metallic. A very dry aftertaste. Tasted like a typical mass produced lager, then I learned it was made by Miller. I wouldn’t but this again, once is enough for me.