Pups Monadnock Harvest Hard Cider

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 2.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.73   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pupís Monadnock Harvest is a distinctive local cider made from the freshly-pressed juice of apples grown in central New England. It is exceptionally dry, slightly tart, but with a light, fruity body that comes from the careful selection and blending of heirloom and modern apple varieties. Itís a very refreshing drink, with just a bit of sparkle added through bottle conditioning. We start with some of the ancient, unnamed varieties we grow in our own orchard. Then weíll blend in the fruit from other apple growers in southern New Hampshire and central Massachusetts. The final mix usually includes juice from McIntosh, Macoun, Yellow Delicious, Red Delicious, Gala, Mutsu, Spencer, and Fuji from the "moderns," and Northern Spy, Hubbardston Nonesuch, Roxbury Russet, Baldwin, Golden Russet, Fall Russet, Porter, and Gravenstein from the "heirlooms." The freshly pressed juice is always cold fermented, then blended and bottled. Itís neither pasteurized nor filtered, and it is bottle conditioned, so expect a light sediment at the bottom of the bottle (for a clear drink, pour slowly). We donít add any preservatives. However, we do use sulfites to sterilize our press and tanks, and small amounts are likely to show up in the final product. The alcohol content is 8%.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
radarsock (885) - Vermont, USA - APR 21, 2013
7.6% abv. 650 mL bottle purchased from Top Shelf for $5.59. To wine glass, it pours a fizzy clear yellow. Looks a lot like urine. Aromas of sodium, apple cores, ginger, and yeast. Absolutely nothing else. Tastes underwhelmingly of well water, and pineapple & papaya flavored vitamins. Canít detect the apples in this. Needs improving. Just a tad too thin, as well.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
mdesq (1) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 8, 2010 does not count
I purchased a bottle of Pupís cider from my local brewery supply. It was the only NH-brewed cider they had and it was their last bottle. I got it home and chilled it in the fridge for several hours, excited to try it out. When I opened the bottle, I smelled a little "off" smell but poured it into a glass slowly and took a sip. It was terrible. The flavor was bland, and the aftertaste was literally rotten, like some bad bacteria had gotten in and spoiled the bottle. It was so bad I had to pour it out. Iím hoping I just got a bad bottle (maybe "cooked"? Itís been really hot in the region lately), but this is the worst cider Iíve ever tasted.