Purple Possum Habanero Mead

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 0.59/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.19   ABV: -
A honey hot pepper wine.

MeadMe (1284) - Riverview, Florida, USA - MAY 13, 2013
When I had this years ago I was not rating on ratebeer. I Will throw a review on here from memory, I feel comfortable doing that as this mead will be forever etched into my mind. Itís probably also etched into every organ it passed through as this tasted more like toxic waste than it did mead. As for the taste it was beyond horrible. I figure I could create a concoction of every cleaning chemical in my home and have something that still tastes better than this mead. The aroma could drop you to your knees it had the power of oven cleaner. It literally caused stinging in my nose and my eyes began to tear up. The mead maker passed away about the time the O-town crew bought this stuff. GOT thinks he may have actually died in this batch, I think he could be onto something....

Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 10, 2012
Paint thinner meets nail polish remover blended with mace. As nasty on the way out as it is on the way in.

laroja (1) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - FEB 28, 2010 does not count
There is really not much I can say about this beverage, except that it tastes like wolf pussy. Thanks GOT...........

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Caoimhin57 (2) - Texas, USA - OCT 23, 2009 does not count
Great mead to sip a bit. Sweet honey taste with a Habanero kick. Might be a bit spicy for most to drink but absolutely fantastic to cook with. it seems most of the people that have rated this so far did from one batch at a show. I think Iíve also had a bottle from that batch! Soapy flavor bad batch :( Try it again. If you have ever thought of deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving, then try injecting it with this mead. (I prefer to cook mine in a mesquite pit, never had deep fried)

redlight (2316) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 14, 2009
Fermaldehide (sp?) and alcohol on the nose, paint thinner aromas. Pours blonde. Thin and watery, with some heat from the peppers but just no flavor, really kind of tastes like paint thinner, although iíve never actually drank paint thinner, to my knowledge.

jumpjet2k (314) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 7, 2009
I had this one quite a few months ago at the winery itself, but its memory has stayed with me since.

The whiff I took from the sample glass burned my nose, or at least I thought it did. Iím saddened by the fact that I actually took a sip. I couldnít gag (that would be disrespectful to the owners who were standing beside me) but I nearly did. Soap, acetone. Burns all the way down and keeps on burning. I tried another mead or two after this one, but I honestly couldnít tell you what they tasted like after all the burning.

Did you know that, in addition to wine and mead, the folks at Purple Possum also make soap? We bought a bar. Just saying.

Maybe they switched the recipes or something.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAY 4, 2009
Every now and then I will come across a spirited combination that just should not be, should not have been, and shouldnít have even been an inkling of an idea. That time is now. Purple Possum has released an abomination upon the fragile existence that is known as humanity, specifically my sensitive palate. I donít have as much of a tolerance for spicy foods as I once used to, but in return I have a greater appreciation for balance between hot spices and other flavors. Such a gourmand indulgence is truly nirvana. That is not the case with the Habanero Mead from Purple Possum. If there were ever a brew that would be most fitting for the hand of the devil, this would be it. Fire and brimstone and Maalox couldnít hold a candle to this sheer burning pain of anti-life that torments any and all innocent souls who should wander into its territory. For the sake of others, I braved this unholiest of territories and amazingly enough, lived to tell about it. The continuing nightmares are a different story, though.

It poured a clear steady stream of piss-yellow liquid fire into my glass. Just a small portion, if you please. With shaking hand, I raise my glass to my nose and am viciously assaulted with a dank odor of stale, flat soda pop, old bar syrup, and a hit of burning heat in the back of my nose. Turpentine and paint thinner, anyone? As I feel my nose hairs curl and smoke under the assault, I cup my glass with shaking hands and take the first of just a few sips. Burn. It burns. Truly, I have either finally pissed off the guy upstairs or Iíve been transported to the molten white-hot surface of the sun where no life, no sanity, and no pleasures could survive. I reach for my water for a bit of relief before bravely, or would it be stupidly, diving in for another taste. White hot heat and liquid habanero extract continues to assault all porous surfaces of my mouth. The heat lingers long on the center of my tongue and a hard, chemical taste resembling rubbing alcohol mingles with its misplaced brethren. There is no honey in this, and if there was, itís funeral pyre has long been lit. Truly, if there were ever an apocalypse, this would be the toast to hail its ascension. Everything that is horribly wrong with the Habanero Mead continues to torment its victims long after the first meeting, requiring a good helping of life-saving water and some palate cleansing nibblies before I dare taste anything else.

Wrong. So wrong. Everything about the Habanero Mead from Purple Possum is and was wrong. Why they bottled it; I donít know. What distributer thought they could market it and sell it, I donít know. Such a foul, disgusting, and painfully inhumane beverage should be banished from all shelves and its existence snuffed. Let the history books mark this moment in memoriam so that all who follow shall not repeat their travesty against the sacred legacy of mead.

Dickinsonbeer (5077) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - APR 19, 2009
CPLYFO 09. Probably the worst thing I have ever drank. Thanks guys! Pours a clear gross pee- pale yellow. Aroma is nasty slightly spicy peppers (they come through big time in the flavor) nasty medicinal harshness with a distinct bgi formaldehyde presence which is just plain scary- tons of acetaldehyde green apple crap and acetic- vinegar and nail polish remover. As if the aroma wasnít bad enough the flavor just about kills you- tons of the most harsh nasty medicine and hot peppers that burn the shit out of your mouth- hurts all the way down as well- just tons of off things going on- medicinal solvent, floor cleaners, oven cleaner. This really shouldnít be allowed for consumption. Someone really might die if they were able to drink a whole bottle. Good thing that inst possible because it is so bad. I may have drank a half a sip and knew better than to drink a couple oz of this. I really donít feel very good now after writing this review. I feel like I have to puke now. Fuck. Isnt there supposed to be a thing to warm you against not giving a .5. I think someone wisely turned that off for this mead since nothing stopped me from the .5. Wish I could have given much much lower.

bconley (352) - Fern Park, Florida, USA - APR 8, 2009
Had at the otown throwdown. When I was a kid, I built alot of models. Anything from 30ís hotrods, to modern day supercar roadsters. Models of motorbikes, boats, spaceships....even the Goddamned Swedish boat the Vasa, which sunk less than a nautical mile into itís maiden voyage on 10 August 1628. During all of those hours spent building models, I was using model glue. Never ONCE did I consider drinking the model glue. Because I would think it tasted like nail polish remover and poison...I know now that I shouldnít have tasted the model glue because it tasted like Purple Possum Habanero Mead, which I assume is made out of model glue.

daknole (8851) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 17, 2009
Bottle from the Otown throwdown. Motherfucker who poured this shit in my glass. This craptastic beverage even hurt to puke it up. I would rather drink a mead made from droplets of sweat from thecheesemans beautiful man-boobs. I would choose wiping my ass with 100 grit sandpaper than ever, EVER tasting this vile and putrid beverage. Good god whoever decided to bottle this had to be, just had to be a descendent of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Fucking A.