Pyramid Imperial Hefeweizen

Formerly brewed at Pyramid Breweries
Style: Weizen Bock
Seattle, Washington USA

RATINGS: 184   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Brewed with 60% malted wheat, our Imperial Hefeweizen is a smooth full-bodied, unfiltered ale with a pleasant hop flavor for a taste that’s uniquely refreshing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
VertBaconStrips (2060) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 26, 2009
UGHGHHGHHH. What the hell is this? Did they even taste it before bottling? I’m not down with this at all. Smells like a really fragrant, intense, high end shampoo. Don’t forget really ripe fruit that is baking in the sun. How do I rate this? The smell is really fine but it doesn’t really adhere to the Hefe standard that I’m used to. Plus, I’m having a night where I seem to be buzzed pretty hard super quick off of a Marston’s? Senior death camp home here I come. Cloves are first to be recognized, followed immediately by a shit load of wheat then warm hearty bread, sweet candy, ripe bananas (probably the sweet candy), nectarines, fake apple... I think that’s all I can make up for now. Dumped out hardly any crown, what was there is white and unimpressive. The brew is slightly orange and even more slightly hazy. The aroma seems to further and further down the apple road - how odd. The taste is very heavy on the wheat with an almost indistinguishable banana / orange blend. Noticeable hops that don’t ruin the experience but don’t help the Hefe cause. The 7.5% is only noticeable in my vision and slurred speech. The mouth feel is dry, sort of, medium or more bodied, not thick or viscous, fairly smooth, ok carbonation, short lived dull wheat / weak bitter finish. OK, I’ve changed my tune. I don’t hate this. It seems without classification, a beer floating in the neverworld of styles. Drinkable? Yup. Nothing really bad about this except that it’s outright odd. The whole time the aroma has been forcing me to think "faceless 40oz strong beer". A totally unappealing beer that is to get a 2.6 rating - get me another from the style to compare to. And it cost me 10 bux - never again. I’m officially drunk on two beers - tell my children I love them. It is apparent that I’ve lost all will to absorb alcohol.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cirrhosis (1192) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 11, 2009
"A impy Hefe you say………I guess all styles must need an imperial version……..I can’t wait to try my first imperial reduced alcohol. This came from a 650ml bottle labeled “brewers reserve 2007”. When cap first removed beer smoke poured at and I went after it like an 1980’s yuppie go’s after a line of coke, but this went horribly wrong when I realized the beer smoke smelt like feet. Other non-tasty aroma’s where apple, wheat, faint alcohol, and the always yummy sent of black rubber. Ugg…. Smelt interesting but not appealing. Brew is very cloudy tannish brown with some orange elements only a small film floats on top. I swirled and I swirled and I swirled some more but I couldn’t get all of the 1” of mud out of the bottom of the bottle. Why was this made? This style makes no sense to me. Malts are very wheaty and leave a caramel after taste, flavor is very mild and way milder then I would have expected. A apple flavor is very prominent and the apple combining with some banana is making a sweaty foot flavor. I guess this wasn’t horrible to drink it was just boring and bland, it shouldn’t have ever have been made."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 8, 2009
22oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Hazy, dark orange with a super foamy head. Smells spicy, peppery, and fruity. Interesting flavors of fruit, hoppy, but not similar to a normal hefe as I didn’t find any banana or clove flavors here, weird. Nice beer, I wonder if it was better when it was first released back in September. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 02-01-2008 01:14:24

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
VitaminR (540) - Colorado, USA - FEB 28, 2009
Soft fruity nose, hints of lemon dough. Slight pearl haze, deep gold to amber, medium foamy medium head. Sweetish, slight cloves , pepper crackers, not much bitterness. Medium to high carbonation, full mouth feel, but delicate, soft finish with a slight warmth pulling through. Not remarkably complex, but very elegant and enjoyable..

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BrotherGrendel (787) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 9, 2009
A- Pours a cloudy and hazy orange-amber hue with a nice amount off craggy white head that is sustaining and leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass S- Aroma is mostly citrus and floral hops along with yeasty wheat malts T- Hmmmm, initial taste is of wheat and sweet malts, followed by bread malts and dark citrus in the middle, and finishing with an unassuming touch of dry hops and alcohol M- Medium-bodied hefe with an almost oily texture, light carbonation D- At 7.5%abv, this is definitely on the strong-side for a hefe, fairly drinkable overall, but lacks any unique characteristics for a repeat buy. I think the biggest knock on this beer is that it tries to be both an IPA and a Hefe but fails at both, sometimes "hybrids" are not the best picks for beers and this shines with this "Imperial Hefeweizen". . . if I want a good IPA, there are plenty of better choices, and the same holds for Hefes, I see no situation in which I would want the hoppiness of an IPA with the wheat/syrupy maltness of a Hefe

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
buzzoven (376) - JAPAN - JAN 3, 2009
Big frothy head atop this marvelous looking beer. Looks like golden roasted dusk shining inside the glass...hazy, amber hue reflecting my thirsty face. Mouthfeel is creamy, thick, bready. Taste had a lot going on: banana, wheat, slightly spiced (black pepper, anise), hints of licorice and over ripe apricot, banana bread, thick stale muffins. There was also a fairly strong dose of earthy elements here: grass, straw, mud huts along the Nile (well...it is from Pyramid Breweries after all). Overall, a unique and special beer. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but had to buy it twice to make sure. Probably designed more for those beer drinkers with discerning tastes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Boutip (4637) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 24, 2008
Bottle: Poured a cloudy dirty yellow color weizen with a small off-white head with limited retention as well as lacing. Aroma of wheat malt is dominating with some light notes of banana and cloves. Taste is again dominated by some wheat malt with some light notes of banana and cloves ester also noticeable. Body is full with some very limited filtration and average carbonation with no discernable alcohol. Interesting take on the style but somewhat cloying at the end of the day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
rathjoel (1) - , Saskatchewan, CANADA - OCT 16, 2008 does not count
Pours a dingy-hazy orange with little to no head. Grainy aromas dominate, with some hops and citrus (not american hop citrus though) in the background. Flavour is grainy, with some orange in the mid-palate, that is quickly taken over by a solid hop bitterness which dries the finish out. The mouthfeel is pretty thick and creamy, but not cloying. Overall, more of a IHA (India Hefe Ale) than what I’d call an Imp Hefe. I expected more banana-clove phenolics and less hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ApisAles (1576) - Greenbelt, Maryland, USA - OCT 13, 2008
Pours a hazy orange/amber color with little to no head. Some carbonation though. Aroma is fresh peeled oranges and wheat. Flavor is more of the same. Citrus and wheat, although almost none of the weizen yeast flavors you usually get. No bananas, no bubblegum. Alcohol is well hidden. This is a nice beer. Would be good in the summer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - OCT 6, 2008
Sparse aroma. Pours a very nice cloudy orange, yeast floaties. Flavour is tangerine-like, suprisingly hoppy. Body is above average for style, thick. An enjoyable beer, but I’m mixed on whether this is really a weizen.