Pyramid Juggernaut Red Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Pyramid Breweries
Style: Amber Ale
Seattle, Washington USA

RATINGS: 114   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available: August - September.
Malts: 2 Row, Carared, C-120, Carafa II, and Roasted Barley.
Hops: Simcoe and Cascade.
IBU: 45

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
brenn79 (1467) - Idaho, USA - NOV 3, 2009
12 oz. bottle- Pours deep reddish amber with a small but decent head, good lacing. The flavor is of sweet malt with an underlying hop presence. I got just about what I expected out of this, easily drinkable but not my style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mar (4778) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 30, 2009
deep ruby with an eggshell white head. aromas of caramel and piney hops. nice thickness with a thick caramel flavor and a hoppy finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerReview (2) - Washington, USA - OCT 26, 2009 does not count
Our first beer ever reviewed… officially that is. Pyramid Brewery’s Juggernaut Red Ale Fall Seasonal is great tasting beer that is full of flavor, and makes you want more after its gone. A little about Juggernaut, Pyramid’s Page says, “Juggernaut is an American Red ale brimming with delectable caramel malts, delicious hops and an unquenchable spirit.”… so true. According to the ingredient of the brew, the malts used are 2 Row, Carared, C-120, Carafa II, and Roasted Barley, and the Hops are Simcoe and Cascade. Original Gravity is 13.8 letting the Alcohol By Volume settle in at a nice 5.6% which isn’t overpowering with the hops for someone who isn’t used to it. I was lucky to get my hands on a bottle of this, because it is only available August – September, but that might be in the stores further away from the brewhouses. I live about a half hour away from Seattle, where the Pyramid Alehouse is right across the street from where the Mariner’s play at Safeco Field. They say this ale is best paired with red met, cheese, poultry, or fish, although I wasn’t able to try this out, because my fridge is empty… haha. So now onto the review, I am going to use Beer Advocate’s format for reviewing, to better outline my experience. Appearance: First looking at this beer it’s got a faint red color, more brown than anything… my light might have been a little dim though… its got lots of carbonation coming up, the head is pretty thick and you get a nice aroma coming from the top. Smell: As for first pour, the first thing I start to smell is the caramel malts, really heavily… also there is a faint floral smell that I can’t really put my finger on. Taste: First thing I taste is the caramel when it coats the mouth and the palate, and then once you swallow and the first breathout you get that floral smell I identified… kinda tastes like a cross between rose pedals and grass… but that’s not a bad thing. Mouthfeel: This is really nice because well, its not overly carbonated or overly hoppy like IPA’s. Overall I think its a good chill and hang out beer, you can get 3 or 4 pints of these in a night and you aren’t gonna get really full, but you will get a pretty good steady buzz. Drinkability: This is pretty easy to drink… like I said its not overly hoppy and generally goes down pretty smooth. If you haven’t tried Red Ales before, this would be a really good one to start with, but that might just be my opinion since I haven’t tried too many Red Ales in my day. Chugability Factor: The chug factor on this beer is a 6.5. Mainly because it doesn’t really struggle to get down, but there is a bit of carbonation/bubble burps that happen towards the middle to the end of the chug, and then towards the very end it gets really difficult to get down and keep down. Overall Rating: B+

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
poisoneddwarf (1670) - Rathdrum, Idaho, USA - OCT 24, 2009
12 oz bottle. Aroma of grain, malt, caramel. Pours a deep amber hue with a nice head, good lacing. Flavor is biscuits, caramel, malt, grains. Bitterness in the aftertaste. Creamy mouthfeel, fairly big body. This is one of the better ambers I’ve had, actually. I’m surprised by this one. I wasn’t expecting much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Aubrey (3430) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 23, 2009
Deep copper-brown with a very frothy off-white head. Creamy, smooth and easy to drink. Nice malt profile ... bit of sweet, bit of sour, bit of roast. Somewhat lacking and one-dimensional aromas. Flavor is okay. Bitterness builds over time and lingers heavily in the aftertaste. Some fruit in the mix as well.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
arkurzynski (1461) - Combined Locks, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 16, 2009
Bottle. Deep red pour. Aroma is awful. Smells of burnt vinyl. Luckily tastes better than it smells. A little sour on the malt end. Highly citrus/grapefruit on the hops. If not for the aroma, a decent offering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
matthewjk (887) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 13, 2009
Little underrated in my opinion. Nice looking copper amber ale that has nice hops. I like the slightly bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - OCT 11, 2009
Bottle, enjoy by 120209. Poured ruby amber with a fizzy off-white head that has some settle to a ring. Aromas of floral, spice, and a light malt backing. The flavor has toasted malts with a hop bitterness in the background. Medium body and a mild bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
IlanMan (1015) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 11, 2009
Bottle. Pour was a beautiful copper red. Aromas had some fresh citrus hops and caramel malts. I got a little more toasted flavor that accompanied the nicely spiced hops and malt sweetness. Good blend of ingredients. I like this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - OCT 8, 2009
Tap @ BBF: Pours a red color (wow!) with a light head. The nose is malty with melanoidins and toast along with a brief hop note more like grassy. The flavor is sweet and chewy with a thin mouthfeel and a refreshing finish, not quite delivering in the toastyness the nose promised, and the hops that were there, have vanished.