overall

RATINGS: 819   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   IBU: 67   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
We heap the hops into each batch of our Thunderhead IPA. A golden nectar with a striking floral aroma, Thunderhead holds a harmonious balance between its bold hop bitterness and subtle malt backbone.

Malts:
2-Row Pale Barley, Munich 10L, Caramel, Carapils

Hops:
Nugget, CTZ

OG: 16.7

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 17, 2002
Too bubbly and too bitter for my taste. Not terrible - but I wouldnít waste my time trying it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Dogbrick (7669) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 16, 2002
Not nearly as good as Samuel Smithís IPA, but not bad. I thought it could have used some more malt to balance the hops. I would like to try it on tap some day. Nice honey color and rather bubbly.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - APR 12, 2002
UPDATED: APR 7, 2005 More of a stout fan but gotta love the hops of this beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
NWHopHead99 (58) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - APR 2, 2002
Unnesasarily bitter, hoppy . . . maybe, but the sour taste is upsetting. Kind of a dead pinnaple, semi-sweetness there, but not enough to clean the pallete, as that bitter flavor just lingers endlessly, and itís not pleasing. Looks fine, heads well, but then tastes unpalletably bitter, (and not the good kind). I think I like this IPA even less than the Full Sail. The only hint of aroma hops I get it when I burp up the stomach gas. Oh well, thank god there is Bridgeport, Stoneís, and Martime IPAís. I think this IPA has recieved too much praise, itís not that great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BillKismet (3321) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 2, 2002
Bland tan color cannot be more deceiving as this beer is brimming with the tanginess of Columbus hops--undeniably present in both aroma and flavor. The hops bring a definite íboingí/spike to this beer--making it an interesting, atypical IPA. The spike can be looked at negatively as well--as it does denote an unbalance in hops--but címon--like this beer is about anything but hops! A bold brew with the hop zestiness to make it a special IPA to try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
coldandhot99 (18) - Abingdon, Maryland, USA - APR 1, 2002
This isnít one of my favorites thus far, but not bad at all. Has a nice golden color. Worth trying.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChrisBeest (43) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - FEB 18, 2002
I loved it. Then again, I pretty much love all IPAís

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ttboy8099 (73) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - FEB 7, 2002
Kinda bitter and hoppy for an IPA but I enjoyed it plenty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - FEB 1, 2002
As someone said previously, the aroma is a little weak, but the color is wonderful, very much like honey. The citrusy hops immediately come to life and make this a brew to remember. No, itís probably not my favorite IPA, but itís one of them. From initial taste to the grapefruity finish, this is another enjoyable brew from Pyramid.

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JAN 26, 2002
tasted this beside a portland woodstock ipa, they finished about equal. the pyramid has a yellow-orange sunset glow(pantone 138). head: yes. aroma: quite enticing, oranges and new straw broom. more tart than the portland, iím sure it would arrive in india in splendid shape (hops are a preservative iím told--given the amount of them that i ingest, either iíll live exceptionally long, or my corpse will be a great museum piece in ten thousand years). for now, the ample hoppiness preserves my interest to the bitter end.