Night Shift Quad Reserve
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.55/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Aged for 60 days in fermentation, this stately ale pours a deep brown tinged with hints of purple. Its blackberry fruit aroma heralds the rich notes of cherry, plum, and spicy grapes that follow. Traces of dark chocolate linger in the finish. Resist temptation to drink immediately, and you’ll find reward in letting our Quad Reserve grow and evolve over time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
johnnnniee (2293) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 19, 2012
Pours a solid dark brown with very faint garnet when held to light and a smallish tan head that dissipates slowly. The grapes have filled my nostrils since I popped the cork on this guy. There is quite a vinous aroma along with lots of brown sugar and molasses with a hint of alcohol. There are dark fruity malt aromas, but that’s kind of blurred from the abundant grape onslaught. The flavor is a bit vinous with some more dark fruits coming through as well as lots of molasses and brown sugars. Sweet and fruity with a hint of alcohol seems about right for a quad. Medium to thick body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet vinous mouthfeel. I liked this one, I thought it was quite interesting and odd at the same time. This could use a hint more bubbles for the style. Maybe I’m just looking for a quad to be a certain way, but I think the addition of the grapes muddies the dark fruit like raisins and plums and prunes that I usually expect in a quad. The brown sugar works to amplify the dark and burnt sugar flavors from the malt. Kudos for the experimenting, I could drink this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SoberCajun (111) - Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 2, 2012
Definitely a smooth Quadrupel with some nice fruity and spicy notes which add depth and create a pleasant warmth as you savor this one.