overall

RATINGS: 96   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.04   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Mountain fresh ale

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
beerbill (3564) - Laurel, New York, USA - JAN 25, 2007
12 oz. can. Sometimes, when friends or family go away on trips, knowing that I like to try new beers, like to bring me home a beer they think is "different." Such was the case with Rainier Ale. Pours a pale yellow with a soapy white head. Very indistinct aroma. Corn sweetener and alcohol are the predominant flavors. Heavy alcohol burn at the finish along with that special malt liquor aftertaste. Another fine product brought to us by the good people at Miller. AVOID.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
troopie (2291) - Munchen an der Willamette, Oregon, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Draught at a bar after work. I tried this out of curiosity. Unmemorable aroma, unmemorable appearance. Flavour of alcohol and fizz. But the finish, ye gods the finish. It seemed to be equal parts mine tailings, essence of tin and crocodile kak. Hours later, I still tasted that godawful finish. This is not an ale, this is a disgrace.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
duffman462 (175) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - OCT 29, 2006
Last week, on my way to the gas station, I spotted a young and attractive young lady outside the gas station smoking a cigarette and holding bag containing a six-pack of green death tall boys. "Weíre gonna get so drunk tonight," I heard her say. I approached her and told her to drop the beer and run. She thought I was joking, but I wasnít. This beer is not for the casual drinker. If your liver is smaller than a soccer-ball, you must avoid this beer. You will be the same color green as the can the morning after, and wishing you were dead. If that girl is still alive, and I surmise that she is not, she would say the same thing. Donít drink this beer, not even a drop.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUL 2, 2006
Ahh, the green death! A very popular drink here in the west back in the day! Still available, but I now avoid it, sticky sweet, corny. High alc., all the stuff college kids love! Give me regular Rainier over this anyday.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Swanny6416 (8) - Auburn, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2006 does not count
We nicknamed this swill "Green Death" in college. It was bad then and I canít believe they still sell it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
oldrtybastrd (3222) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 30, 2005
Pours a light golden yellow. Aromas of minor hops, corn, grains. Flavor is light, crisp, watery with a little hop and not much else.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
PorterPounder (5829) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 12, 2005
Picked up at a non-descript corner Liquor store in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco - attractive, green, 16 oz can. Light golden appearance with a sticky, pillowy white, soapy head. Wet paper bag aroma with some stale fruit notes. Flavor is nothing but alcohol with some dry cheap white wine notes. Mouthfeel is thin and it burns a bit going down. Why is this called an ale again?

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JUL 14, 2005
Who-boy. I really need a job. $3.99 for a six-pack of 16-oz cans and I needed something to numb the brain when I thought my cat was going to die. Ug. Okay, thisíll be easy to rate: Pissy yellow beer with no head, straw-grassy odo... I mean, aroma. Flavor is objectionable at best and follows the aroma. Palate is oddly thick and fully with some decent foam, which scares me to think of where it came from. Overall? Yeah, itís crap.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
pkbites (697) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 11, 2005
The aroma and initial taste hit you like a slap in the face with a wet mop. Had this in Seattle, Washington on June 25, 2005, though the label said in was made in California. I have never seen this anywhere in Milwaukee, or anywhere in Wisconsin. Strong taste of corn and lighter fluid. Thick, sticky marshmellow head that screams artificial ingredients. Pours a somewhat dark yellow. Thick, syrupy feel in the mouth. Burns a bit going down. Most malt liquors suck. This one burned the inside of my nose. Actually painful to drink. I winced everytime I swallowed. Stick to cough syrup over this!

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 20, 2005
Okay, Iíve done a lot of lobbying for Rainier because even though it was bought out by miller it still has ties to the Northwest, but the Ale is just terrible. I suppose some people may be attracted to its high alc%, but the fact itís in a can rather than a 40 oz. bottle might confuse some people. The main difference here is the abolutely revolting sweetness that is a byproduct of the alchohol increase. Horrible...I canít warn you enough: when this thing warms it will be undrinkable. Tastes like your typical malt liquor without the ghetto flair.