Liberty Renallís Towards Muriwai

Formerly brewed at Liberty Brewing Co
Auckland, New Zealand
Style: Imperial Stout | Ratings: 2 | Special Seasonal | Alcohol: 11%
This is a beer with a story, entered in the Brew NZ Awards under festive brew and was awarded bronze. This beer was brewed to celebrate the 12 years that Christina and I have been together for. 1% of abv to represent each year...problem is, I didnít do my sums right, and we only ended up with 11% ABV. Itís a "Black Forest Stout" meaning I have used an imperial chocolaty nature of a stout for the chocolate end of the Black forest... and then there is the 15 grams per liter of Sour Morello cherries to add their character. I also used coconut nectar as a fermentable and to add some slickness to the palate. The beer symbolizes Mine and Christinaís relationship. We both spent a lot of our youth at Muriwai, which is depicted in the label. The artwork came of an art teacher we both had at College. We met each other at this college 12 years ago, and ended up getting married. Now we own a brewery together making special beers with fuckloads of booze and interesting flavours in them! On a side note, this is the Ladies Beer I was talking about all those months ago. My entire point was that it not whatís in the bottle that makes it a ladies beer. Itís the sentiment. The imagery... that marketing etc. Who would have thought that an 11% ABV imperial stout would count as a ladies beer?

Aroma

Show This Beer's Availability

Wishlist Add - Delete

Beer Rating Assistance
toggle
Click the descriptors below to add them to your comments.

AROMA
 APPEARANCE
 TASTE
 PALATE
 OVERALL

Aroma is one of beer's most complex features. Aroma is propelled by lively CO2 and dampened by pillowy heads - especially nitrogen foam. Click on a term below to add it to your tasting notes.

Malt
caramel, bread, hay, cereal, chocolate, coffee, nuts, toast, roasty

Hops
resin, floral, grass, spruce, citrus, herbs

Yeast/Bacteria
dough, barnyard, cheese, basement aromas, leather, earthy, leaves

Other
alcohol, banana, bubblegum, butterscotch, clove, cooked vegetables, cough drop, ginger, licorice, raisin, rotten eggs, soy sauce, skunky, smoke, vanilla, woody