Smuttynose Imperial Stout

Brewed by Smuttynose Brewing Company
Hampton, New Hampshire USA
Style: Imperial Stout | Ratings: 854 | Winter Seasonal | Alcohol: 10.1%
After a one year hiatus the Imperial Stout is back in action. We figured that after catching a bit of flack for its absence we’d have it return with a bang. We bumped up the starting gravity from 20° P to 24° P. This allowed the beer to finish just over 10% ABV. Like this year’s Barleywine, we’ve decided to play with the hop character, specifically the dry hop presence. Trying to avoid the fiasco of my previous attempt at adding pellets to the fermentor, I did what any good manager would do: I made Charlie add them. He had the advantage of being able to add the hops directly through a top manway and so his besting me in this challenge is not necessarily a sign of his superior brewing skills but more a reflection of my adventurous, try anything spirit (or at least that’s the story I’m stickin’ to). The Charles added 44 lbs of Cascade, split evenly between two batches, or about half a pound per barrel. We then transferred the beer onto seventy-eight pounds of an even mixture of Centennial and Columbus whole flowers, about one pound per barrel. The beer is a little top heavy in terms of the hopping but it seems to be smoothing out a bit as it’s aging. I’d give it six months or so, if you can wait that long. If not, hey, enjoy it anyway.
2014 - 9.4% abv

Show This Beer's Availability

Wishlist Add - Delete

Beer Rating Assistance
toggle
Click the descriptors below to add them to your comments.

AROMA
 APPEARANCE
 TASTE
 PALATE
 OVERALL

Aroma is one of beer's most complex features. Aroma is propelled by lively CO2 and dampened by pillowy heads - especially nitrogen foam. Click on a term below to add it to your tasting notes.

Malt
caramel, bread, hay, cereal, chocolate, coffee, nuts, toast, roasty

Hops
resin, floral, grass, spruce, citrus, herbs

Yeast/Bacteria
dough, barnyard, cheese, basement aromas, leather, earthy, leaves

Other
alcohol, banana, bubblegum, butterscotch, clove, cooked vegetables, cough drop, ginger, licorice, raisin, rotten eggs, soy sauce, skunky, smoke, vanilla, woody