overall

RATINGS: 177   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
A winter seasonal made with all English Pale & Crystal malts. Hopped with Phoenix, Kent Golding, Challenger, and Target hops in the boil and dry hopped.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DaMenace123 (253) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 13, 2010
Copper pour with white head and good lacing. Aroma is mostly caramel malt. Flavor is very malty but with a strong bitter hop finish. Pretty good but didn’t jump out at me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerRules (243) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Dark hazy copper color. Smells of very clean, floral hops, and a rich sweetness. Hop bitterness is dominant in the flavor, but there is some roastyness and a bit of chocolate flavor. Mouthfeel was rich and satisfying. The cask version of this was bad ass, but im just rating the standard version here. Overall, a great beer that I will drink much more of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Robbievegas (230) - Las vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 6, 2012
Tried this on tap at The Flying Saucer in Addison, TX. Sweet malty aroma. Notes of caramel and toffee in the flavor profile, good beer! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
oreogobbler (228) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 30, 2008
Fruity with a slight malt aroma. Med. amber brown off white head good lacing. Malty and some good hop flavor. Nice bouque of fruit. Velvet smooth palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tybalt (206) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAR 28, 2014
Muted hop aroma. Pours a deep orangish amber. Sharp bite up front, then some fairly tame biscuity malts, then a ton of hop complexity - very nice and interesting blend of English hops. Finishes very smooth. Nice body to it, while still feeling crisp and refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Vikingbrew (193) - Colorado, USA - SEP 28, 2010
I went to the brewery and tried all the beers. This one stuck out the most from my trip. It had a wonderful hop infused taste. It wasn’t hoppy enough to blow my socks off, but the blend of hops was great. The aroma had a primary hop and carmel smell. Overall, I would not hesitate to buy this or order it at a pub. I even bought a T-shirt of the beer after the tour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
nellycale (183) - Caledonia, Minnesota, USA - SEP 23, 2013
From bottle. Pours a rich amber hue with a thick off-white head. Aroma of caramel, spice and a touch of citrus. Taste of bitter, caramel, mild spice, and some malts. Almost a tea flavored finish on the palate. Pretty good for this style. nicely bittersweet. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jerseyjohn71 (182) - corsicana, Texas, USA - MAR 26, 2013
clear- redish color, tan foam head, good lacing rings with every gulp, lightly bitter, thin feel, light body,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hinez57 (173) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - APR 3, 2010
Hoppy musty aroma with slight fruitiness and a hint of chocolate. Nice dark copper red color with toasty thin disappearing head leaves light lacing. Sweet malt and citrus flavors up front with earthy spicy floral hop flavors dominating the finish. Nice drinkable mouthfeel compliments bier well, to style. Overall I’d like more English yeast character and a touch more complexity to push this bier to being special. Otherwise very drinkable, well bittered but fairly balanced.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
texasbartender (160) - Sugarland, Texas, USA - MAR 21, 2008
The beer is classified as an English Strong Ale, it weighs in at 6.6% ABV with 50 IBU. This is Real Ale’s winter seasonal which smacks of English style but with a distinctively Texas taste. The Beer has a very light nose. It might because I have a slight cold or it might be that the beer keeps all of its flavor for your palate but got very little nose off of my initial investigation. I believe that just as you eat with your eyes you also drink with your eyes. So the question becomes does this beer say “pick me up and drink me”? This is a great looking beer. It has a white creamy head that has great lacing that hangs all the way down the glass. The body is fairly clear with an amber black color. Real Ale claims that this” this ale is about hops. The blend of English hops, highlighted by its namesake, Phoenix, yields a complex hop character that dominates this special brew.” I hope that my recent IPA bingeing hasn’t left my palate overly shocked, because I didn’t really get hoppy bitterness off the beer. But I did get some light hoppy floral notes, which could mean that the brewers were going with a sweeter less bitter hoppy approach which is a much welcomed change from the rest of the ESBs I’ve had of late. What I did get was a rich yet balanced malty flavor. This taste comes from the English crystal malt which brings with it a light toffee and caramel undertone. The ale has a very short lived finish, which is great because as much as I like IPAs and ESBs I don’t like to taste them in the morning. This beer has a medium body with a very light and watery mouth feel. Overall I would call this a very well balanced flavorful beer and is a great way to start off the night.