overall

RATINGS: 445   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Measuring between 10 and 11% ABV, depending on the year, this barleywine was Real Ale's first seasonal product. It is uncharacteristically smooth for this style of beer, as it is created with five different kinds of hops. It also displays a rich malt character, and the healthy portion of hops gives it a distinctive dry and balanced finish. Sisyphus Barleywine Style Ale, weighing in around 480 calories per 12 ounce serving, is not for the faint of heart. Makes a great nightcap!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAY 22, 2004
12 oz bottle, goblet. Grain, nutty, caramel and sweet dark bread malt (H); grapefruit hops (M); apricot, peach, brown sugar, toffee and a hint of hazelnut. Yeah, I guess that sounds pretty good, but it comes across sickeningly sweet like over ripened fruit. Deep ruby-peach body with an amazing, eggnong white, creamy, well lasting head. Extrememly sweet, moderately acidic flavor becomes a heavily sweet, moderately bitter, moderately acidic finish with a husky, astringent aftertaste. Heavy body, creamy texture, flat carbonation. The bottom line is: WAY too sweet, acidic...tastes like over ripened fruit...just makes me reel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - MAY 15, 2008
I donít know if this was a bad bottle, but Iím afraid I wonít go to the trouble to get another to find out. Attractive, mahogany brown pour with halo of an off white head. The nose and flavor have some interesting complexities, but the most dominant by far in the flavor is burnt tire. Something has gone horribly wrong here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Goodgrief (1863) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - JUL 5, 2008
Pour was a deep reddish brown...or should I say brownish read...good head and some lacing. The aroma was sweet malt. The flavor was really sweet...sickly so, even though there was some bitterness to attempt to balance it. The bitterness didn’t seem to come from any hops, but rather some overdone kind of spice. The mouthfeel was extremely sticky...kind of like I was lowered into a vat of maple syrup. Caramel, fruit, vanilla and goofy odd spice...but not going well together. I like the rating below that said "overattenuated honey and urine"...that isn’t far off! I had trouble finishing this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Pours with no head. Smells berry, fairly nice, but the flavor is almost all alcohol. Normally I would enjoy this, being as I like sweet mixed drinks, but this was not very pleasant. Syphilis?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 24, 2010
2007 edition. Mount Vesuvius, well over a third of my bottle went all over the counter before I could react. Hazed caramel brown with a large sudsy tan topper that fades down a bit into a marginal layer. Aroma is medicinal with aloe vera dominating early on. After that fades a bit a malty concoction with plenty of toffee and caramel await behind it. Yeast and alcohol round out the aroma. The mouth feel is justÖ explosive. Reminds me of pop rocks as a tiny sip expands to fill the cavern of my mouth. The medicinal properties forge their way front and center again with sweetness on the back end. Something is amiss here, I canít see them having this in mind. The sweet cloyingness on the back end make this a most undesirable brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
johnnnniee (2834) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 20, 2011
7/2/2009 2007 Vintage Received in trade from RickSawyer and BeerZack, thanks for the opportunity. Iíve had this beer, 2007 vintage multiple bottles from different sources and each time I open a bottle it is infected. I opened two tonight to be sure. Opens with a crack and a foaming, have to pour quick so as not to spill any. Pours a dark golden/copper color with a huge bubbly off white head that sticks around forever. I can smell the phenolic as soon as I crack one open. The nose is so Belgian-esque, spicy phenolics solventy, medicinal. Drain pour for me If I ever manage to get one that isnít clearly infected I will revisit this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
degbert (1346) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 12, 2010
This was the first barleywine Iíve ever had, and I donít know if itís the style or this particular one, but...damn, I did NOT like this beer. Too sweet, too bitter, and in a fashion that didnít seem harmonious to me. This beer tasted badly out of balance, and was too overwhelming. Not at all enjoyable, which is sad -- Iíve liked other Real Ale products.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Sammy (9450) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 11, 2009
Small bottle, stored many months, gotten in a trade with the tradeable Texans. Barnyard alert! And a superfoamer. After that, medium yellow with white head, and lot of lace. But barnyard smell and somewhat dishrag and hops taste. Understated carbonation. 2007 edition.Drank most of it, for mouthfeel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
beerguy101 (5338) - Newark, California, USA - MAY 27, 2008
Tasted at the May Northern California Beer Tasting. I think it was a bad bottle, and will try and rerate sometime. This barley wine pours a deep amber color from a 12oz bottle. Small to medium sized white foamy head. The aroma is malt, caramel, burnt tire and some stuff I real donít care or want to describe. A medium bodied barley wine. The malts were sweet and well, catpiss comes to mind. Phenolic. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is never mindÖ

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Homer321 (2633) - Melboring, Florida, USA - APR 14, 2015
Bottle labeled 2007 in 2015. Poured into a snifter. Nose is immediately dried fruit with a highly oxidized paper character. Literally no head and a hazy deep orange to light brown color. Taste is immediately a malt mess with cardboard, paper, and staleness. Couldnít get down more than a few sips.