overall

RATINGS: 321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
Don’t be fooled by the label depicting a Grim Reaper Santa Claus in a sleigh pulled by skeletal reindeer - this is not a Christmas Ale. "Sleighor" is an Imperial India Pale Ale. The intense hop bitterness, flavor and aroma will dominate at first. To complement, the body has a complex blend of malt and alcohol flavors. The ABV is 9.1%, and the IBU’s are pushing the mid 80s. The entire family of Cascade hops is used. Cascade, Centennial and Columbus are spread throughout the boil, and a huge sack of Amarillo for dry hopping. The hop combination gives this brew a distinct profile true to its IPA roots. The presentation is clear copper with a thick tan head, coupled with billowing citrus and floral hop aroma. "Do You Dare" to enjoy this fine ale from the Reaper? Brewed at Sudwerk for ReaperAle.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BarleyWino (3) - California, USA - NOV 22, 2004 does not count
I had this last night. It was pretty good, but not special. It also wasn’t, to my palate, really an IPA. It was hoppy, but the overall character was like Oggi’s Hop Whompus—only not as good. My wife and I agreed that it was more of an American Strong—she thought it was an attempt at an Arrogant Bastard copy. I agree; it also reminded me of Hop Rod Rye. Too much malt flavor and not quite enough grapefruit to be a true IPA, in my opinion. But I could be prejudiced by my preference for Oggi’s IPA and Stone’s Ruination, both of which have that sour finish. They’re much lighter in color, too. The flavor had a surprising lack of complexity given the 9.1% ABV, although I must say the alcohol was hidden well. Perhaps too well. Not much aroma to speak of. That’s a surprise, too, in such a hoppy beer. All in all it reinforced my impression of the whole Green Flash/Reaper line: The beers are fine, but why would you choose them when there are better examples of the same styles that are just as easy to get?