Red Bell Philadelphia Original Lager

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 40   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Like the pre-prohibition (prior) lagers of Pennsylvaniaís history, our Philadelphia Original Lager is brewed with the finest two row 100% malted barley. This light-to-medium bodied smooth tasting golden color lager is well balanced with a clean crisp taste of our newest part of history.

JerseysBeast's rating

JerseysBeast (19) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 10, 2002
Very tasty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ROGUE (2085) - Newark, Delaware, USA - FEB 17, 2010
On tap at brewpub (Wachovia Center). Poured a hazy deep amber color with modest tan head that lasted. Very minimal malt aroma. Taste has some caramel notes along with toasted grains. Light body that goes down smooth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mansquito (3346) - Nueva York, New York, USA - MAR 15, 2007
Poured in glass. Has a nice bronze color. Medium thick head that is soon gone. Kind of a sweet smell to it, but not always (kind of different from bottle to bottle if you ask me). Bitter and hoppy front to the beer, but not really hoppy, then after that, the beer just goes down smoothly down me throat and I smile because the beer is a beer that is not too shabby.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Heathen (1458) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - FEB 11, 2007
THOGHTS: The aroma wasnít unpleasant, but just hardly there. Not really much in the way of flavor either ó it was a bit watered down. The best part of this beer was the carbonation bubbling up from the bottom in varying sizes. I could look at it all night, like a flute of champagne, but it wasnít the kind of beer I wanted to savor so it was gone too soon. I just finished it as soon as possible so that I could move on to the next beer. A little run of the mill. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured a sparkling, light to medium yellow with a small whith head that mostly diminished and left fair lacing. The aroma was light to moderate rasted malt. The initial flavor was moderately sweet and bitter and sour, while the finish was moderately sweet, lightly to moderately bitter and sour with a short duration. The body was light to medium and dry and watery with a slightly metallic finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
SirSlarty (68) - Reading, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2007
From a bottle. If you want something that tatses like a beer, this is it. Amber, dark in appearance, has a strong aroma to it that I canít put my finger on. Is this really a lager? I obtained some of this on a whim.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
eaglefan538 (2886) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 22, 2006
If you told me I was drinking another boring run of the mill amber ale, I wouldíve believed you. This had nothing lager crisp about it. Caramel malts with a touch of bitter hops in the finish. Snore fest, medium to full body. Snore.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
dirtyc (173) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2006
cloudy amber appearance, aroma wasnít the best... after the first sip, this lager does get better however, very smooth.... just wanted to try something new

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Bottle Pours a hazy amber with a fizzy off white head. The head lasts well and turns creamy. Also produces good lacing. Has a decent aroma of malts and nuts. Taste is pretty good, has a creamy texture with a good duration. Has a lively carbination, with a nice bitter finish. A light to medium body. This beer fooled me. I didnít expect to be this good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - OCT 1, 2005
(12 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with hopdog, thanks Steve!) This is quite aromatic, but so is dog poop, and Iím pretty sure I donít much like this aroma either. The nose is dry and toasty, but the beer also smells like a wet cardboard box thatís held vegetables and had some time to "ripen." Or maybe something else entirely, I donít know, this isnít an odor I try to keep at the forefront of my memory, and donít want to. The flavor is also kind of unpleasant. Minimally sweet, with a mild toastiness, but the principle flavor is, hell, I donít know, cardboardy and vegetal? I donít think Iíve tasted (or smelled) anything like this, and itís not enjoyable. In fact, itís easily on the unpleasant side of "average". Medium bodied. Deep ruddy amber color, just a tad bit of chill haze, but clearing as it warms, and topped by a small, but very persistent off-white head. Not a good beer from historic Brewerytown.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 19, 2005
Out of a bottle. Itís amazing when you arenít planning to drink different beer until someone hands it to you. Aroma was ok real light malt scent. Nice amber pour to it. Taste was malted mainly a slight hint of black cherry and caramel. Palate was enjoyably light. Overall a tasty interlude when you are expecting swill.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
hopdog (8867) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 4, 2005
Poured a clear (see through) copper color with a larger (3.5 finger) sized off white head. Not much to the aromas and tastes. Malts, nutty, and caramel. Had another aroma and taste I couldnít quite place, almost reminded me of a bar of soap.