overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1645   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Redhook ESB is modeled after the premium Extra Special Bitters found in English pubs. Brewed since 1987, this full-bodied amber ale is Redhook’s signature brew with its toasted malt flavor and pleasant finishing sweetness. Its eminently drinkable style has established Redhook ESB as a benchmark brew in the amber ale category. The well-rounded finish of Redhook ESB makes it a wonderful companion to grilled meats. It is also great with game and cheeses. Available year round.

Style: Amber
ABV: 5.8%
Malts: Pale, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Alchemy, Willamette, Centennial, Crystal
Color SRM: 13
Bitterness Units: 28.0 IBU
Original Gravity: 13.75 degrees plato
Brewed Since: 1987
Medals: 2008 North American Beer Awards Gold Medal Winner, 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal Winner

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2758) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - NOV 6, 2001
As with their IPA I just re-rated, my current tasting notes don’t match my older ones...hmmm. Anyway, it is currently a light amber color, with a medium head and pretty heavy lacing. Malty nose but not fruity. Nicely bitter flavor, but again with clean malts. Its not nearly as Britishy tasting as I’d like to find in an ESB.

Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 15, 2001
Not all that impressive. Nice mix of malt and hops, with poor head and orangey color. Quite bland. Lingering, hoppy dry aftertaste is what I’ll remember most.

muzzlehatch (4769) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2004 early '02: Bottled. Color a bit darker than the IPA - amber/pink - with a thick persistant head. Nose malty and slightly lemony. Flavor very malty and full for an ESB, with relatively low hop presence. Very sweet and 'rich' tasting, but like the IPA rather one-dimensional. Very smooth quick finish. Recommended but not enthusiastically.6/4/7/3/14=3.4

early '04: re-rate. Tastes changed, or beer going downhill? Either is possible with this company. Little to no head this time, nose just faintly caramelish, unbalanced overly sweet finish with a somewhat over-hopped, dry finish. Little fruitiness, little real ESB character, though I wouldn't call it terrible.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Nice amer color, medium body nice malt sweetness, no bitterness at all, tasted flat.

ClarkVV (5798) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 10, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2004 has a refreshing bitterness. reminds me of a mandarin orange. light and colorful. This is a great beer for many occasions. nothing spectacular about it though. Rerate. 2003 draft. yuck, I really hate to admit it, but this is nothing worth drinking. Orange-like sweetness, dry and not very fresh at all. Out of balance, watery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - NOV 6, 2002
Too weak all around to be called an ESB. There is not much here except easy drinking swill.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 9/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 1, 2003
Coppery red in color with a small head that quickly dissapates. Good lacing. Smells pretty similar to other beers I've had. Doesn't taste at all bitter to me, despite the genre it's in. Not much taste to this at all; not what I expect from a micro.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
badgerben (4869) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I had hoped for more out of this. It had that metallic tang. I'll give it another try because I thought for sure it would be at least okay.

heemer77 (5294) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2007 This is not as bad I thought it was. Nice dark amber body with a light off white head. The aroma is caramel with some light peanuts. The taste has a little bit of buttery goodness along with some peanuts and a little bit of caramel. A good session beer. Used to be a much better beer. When they switched to longnecks, I knew something was wrong. I used to buy this all the time as my fallback. Now I can’t stand to drink it anymore. A shame what happened to Redhook.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SavMan (10) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Definitely a beer to drink with a big steak. Medium head but very persistent lace, hoppy, bitter (of course), and a gorgeous copper color. Not my cup of tea, but every once and a while, I down one of these with a meal for the experience.