Redhook Hoptoberfest

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 27   MEAN: 3.27/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Full-bodied Oktoberfest Ale with robust malt and hop signature. Rich, toasty flavor, finishes mellow with a note of hoppiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2191) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 30, 2003
Special draught at Old Chicago. Sweet, hoppy and fruity aroma. Decent lace, very little head (must be the glass). Somewhat cloudy body. Reddish, orange, amber in color. Head fully disappates. Sweet and hoppy flavor. Tastes like it smells. Nice and drinkable. A little unrefined, but a pleasure to drink, especially during the malt dominated Oktoberfest season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
legion242 (2157) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2001
Definitely one of Redhook’s finest. It’s nice to taste those hops in an octoberfest style for a change. None of the overbearing sweetness associated with most marzens.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JFGrind (1837) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 10, 2004
Slightly hoppier than other American Oktoberfest beers. Malty and some spiciness. I enjoyed this fall beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
boto (1827) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - OCT 11, 2003
Draught: Had this at the NH Brewery. The beer was a Reddish-Amber color. It was fairly clear. There was a bit of a light tan head, that quickly dissapated. Caramel in the nose, along with hints of grapefruity hops and pine. The taste is a bit sweet, mainly of caramel with a fairly decent hop bitterness. Not bad!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2002
I figured that this would be the best oktoberfest brew of all time, becuase red hook can make some damn fine beer. I overestimated, but it still kicked some ass. It wasn’t the best of all time, but it was up there. In one word, this beer is robust.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 12, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2004 WHAt the fu... Somehow it appears i rated this a 5 out of 5. Nice foamy head, lots of lacing on the glass, decent malt and hops for redhook. Went well with buffalo wings.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 21, 2004
This was not as good of a beer as I thought it would be. It poured a nice orange color with a thick white head. It was a little too hoppy for the style and that is what made it less appealing to me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
biznizness (1071) - Mooresville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 27, 2004
Honestly, I can’t seem to put my finger on this style no matter how hard I try. I mean, I can’t tell you what makes a good one and what makes a crappy one. I did like this beer, though, for reasons I cannot quite put into words. The Oktoberfest is officially MY ARCH NEMISIS OF BEER. EACH YEAR, WHEN THE FIRST CHILL OF AUTUMN CAN BE FELT IN THE WARM SUMMER AIR, I WILL SHUDDER AND CRINGE AND VOW THAT THIS YEAR WILL BE THE VERY LAST THAT I WILL BOW DOWN TO THIS MENACE OF A BEER STYLE! October 05... I WILL BE VICTORIOUS!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 13, 2004
Nice, rich, malty brew. From the name, I was expecting more hops. But the toasty malts dominated. Beautiful auburn color, with a light head. It is nice to see a fall "ale," I approve.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Draft at the Grey Lodge in Philly. Yhay another boring OFest. No spice, hops, or malt. Tasted what ir should be.