overall

RATINGS: 1550   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   IBU: 44   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Bottle: Filtered.
Available unfiltered from the cask at GBBF 2008
Dry hopped with Cascade hops to give a wonderful hop aroma but not the overpowering hop taste. Long Hammer IPA is the beer you find yourself reaching for again and again, no matter what the occasion. Long Hammer pairs nicely with grilled meats, seafood, Mexican, Indian, Thai or other spicy ethnic foods. Available year round.

Style: India Pale Ale
Original Gravity: 14.40 degrees plato
Brewed Since: 1984

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
19Ei8hty (1166) - Washington, USA - AUG 23, 2008
I have had many of these over the years and it fails to dissapoint. Nice sweet caramel malt backbone with a light toast component. Hops are moderate with pine and grapefruit and even a bit of spicy resin. Well put together.

Veldy (65) - Coon Rapids, Minnesota, USA - AUG 22, 2008
I had this beer on tap and in the bottle. I must stay that the tap version was FAR better and that is what I am reviewing here. Hop aroma was excellent; a nice combination of American "C" hops. Hop flavor was good. Not really bitter enough for an IPA, but that was made up for with aroma hops and some dryness to the mouthfeel. There was a hint of light to medium caramel, but the sweetness wasn’t strong. I definitely recommend this on tap. I drank this at "Little Angies" in Duluth, MN (Canal Park). If I could rate this beer twice, I would rate the bottled version quite a bit less [I found it in the same area in bottle and am drinking one now, but it is nowhere near what the tap version is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcdsmack (88) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - AUG 22, 2008
Pours a light orange color with a thin white head. Unusually large bubbles in the carbonation. Obvious cascade hops aroma and flavor, possibly something with a higher acidity lies beneath in the modest bitterness. No real malt charecter for me to speak of. Not hoppy enough for me to seriously classify as an IPA more like a typical NW American ale complete with cascade domination. I do love the cascade hops though and so I would say this is a decent beer. Good for sessioning or mass appeal at a party or something. I would drink again but not worth savoring. Not impressive not offensive kinda average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Indulgence (141) - Ajo, Arizona, USA - AUG 20, 2008
This is an underrated brew, it’s decently made, understandably not the pinnacle of IPA production, but overall pretty drinkable stuff. Aromas are singularly pine, citrusy, woodsy, some subtle caramelly malts, looks a golden dark amber, a little hazy, pours a big 3 finger soapy head that settles to lacing; flavors are sharp citrus, bittering asparin and some sweetened malts; mouthfeel is a little watered down, but doesn’t detract from the overall experience. Overall good experience, and wouldn’t refuse at a get together or bar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
nigelvibations (9) - , Oregon, USA - AUG 19, 2008 does not count
Beautiful clear amber pour, with a moderate white rootbeer head that stayed firm for a 20 count before falling like a souffle. Crisp, piney aroma and flavor, though not much lingers on the back of the tongue - I actually felt like I tasted it more with the roof of my mouth. Light texture - some foam stays up on the glass walls, but no visible legs. I want to try my next one with a hamburger.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Parrothead (294) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2008
12oz bottle from a sampler case. Piney, citrusy nose, as it should be. Poured a bit lighter in color than I thought it would/should, but I find that common with Redhook beers. A very pleasant, drinkable IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tangentrider (144) - Alabama, USA - AUG 18, 2008
Light amber beer with a small off-white head. Aroma is sweet grapefruit. Flavor is grapefruit and slight malty sweetness. Finish is fading bitterness. Very pleasant IPA (and that’s a compliment).

yesyouam (1016) - Fairport, New York, USA - AUG 17, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2008 Sampled at the Flour City Brewers’ Fest 2008. Redhook Long Hammer IPA is a dense, light golden ale with a huge, white, fluffy, rocky head. It leaves excellent lacing. It has a huge aroma of hops-- not citrusy, maybe Saaz. It is medium light bodied and pretty smooth with a dry finish. The flavor is pretty mellow and really well balanced. It tastes grassier than the aroma and I’m detecting some lemon that I didn’t pick up in the aroma. I’d like to compare this to Ballard Bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
coldbrewky (1667) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - AUG 17, 2008
Two drafts in a plastic cup at an obscenly long LV Iron Pigs game last night. Nose was lost in the wind but what I got was mellow hops and some grain. I was actually glad to see this at a minor league baseball game since as you guessed it you intrepid reader, BMC abounded in those funky metal bottle shaped cans. They even had landshark lager in them thar can-bottles. Medium minus body that looked a bit strange under the field lights in that thick clear plastic cup. A deeper amber with a head that dissapeared fast. Floral hops and whole hops in quantity for a well founded hoppy experience. Nice with that 7th inning hot dog that had been sitting since the 2nd. Mmmm.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 15, 2008
On tap. The pour was a pale copper that almost seemed more tan. A thin white head that produced little lacing. The aroma was cardboard and pine. Dry, not much sweetness balancing against it. The flavor was dry hops with some floral notes. Very little sweetness. Thin, easy drinking. Not very exciting.