overall

RATINGS: 865   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
archstanton (105) - mukilteo, Washington, USA - OCT 20, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2005 very dark brown/almond colored with a sharp bitter bite at first then after a few sips this hop infested brew tastes great..very good..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - SEP 9, 2003
A nice bark (fir) colored ruby. Head is creamy at first but does dissipate quickly. Appears like a well aged beer. This was the 2002 bottle. Aroma is full of pine and raisin, light hops and sweet caramel malt. Flavor is semi-sweet but the aging has done wonders for this one. It is smooth and mild, like a session strong ale. This was a surprise beer, I found it in a store hidden from view a year after release covered in dust!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Interesting taste, but not that good. Somewhat fruity...not expected in a beer this dark.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - AUG 10, 2003
I'm not sure what they were trying for with this one. It smelled a bit like a barleywine and vaguely tasted like one. But I didn't really enjoy it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BBB63 (6010) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 10, 2003
The last of a sixer, but the first time drinking it while a member of RateBeer. I truly enjoy this beer. Balanced, complex yet no part of it is aggressive. It's hoppy, spicy, and earthy nature makes it a great nightcap to an evening of good beer, good food, and good friends. Still when I see the Redhook label, it first thing to come to mind is A-B.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2003
I enjoyed this beer greatly even though I tried it in late July. The taste was very well balanced and I will have to pick up some more this upcoming winter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - JUN 23, 2003
I really enjoyed the 2002 version of this. Brownish-red color with a short lived head. Smells of hops and spices. Refreshingly splashes the tongue with crisp hop flavors, late-harvest fruits, and well pronounced clove, pumpkin spice and allspice flavors. Detectable bitterness and subdued spiciness make up the after palate. One of my winter favorites. I cant wait to purchase a 2003 6-pack and watch a NFL Sunday double-header.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAY 17, 2003
Nice amber color.Small but long lasting head.Aroma malty sweet,with a hint of hop's.Malty sweet taste,nicely hopped but a little thin in the feel,some what watery.nice after taste,that is mildly spicy with a nice hop bite.pretty decent brew but definately not my favorite.There are better ale's out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 11, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2003 Mediocre beer. Tasted like a watered down Fullers 1845. Not impressive. Malty flavor, some fruitiness. Weak palate and aroma. Of all the creative things they could do with a winter beer, they choose this. I suppose a lot of my disappointment is because of the packaging though. I get excited when I see "Winter Ale". Re-rate 10/24/03: WOW! Big improvement. Hops, bitterness! A good surprise. The best Redhook I've had. I think they changed their recipe for the better. Hoppy finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Nuffield (3667) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAY 9, 2003
2002 bottling. This was disappointing. It has a mild aroma with some caramel and spice. In the mouth, this wasn't so much watery as thin, with weak flavors notably only for its metallic bitterness and lack of charm. It wasn't horrendous, but it is a weak cousin of proper English strong ales.