overall

RATINGS: 874   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - APR 22, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 9, 2004 Amazingly, this beer has taken me over a year to locate, even though it’s distributed by Anheuser-Busch and has 125 ratings! Remarkable. Word is that this brew changes a bit from year to year. I’m sipping it while watching "The Bourne Identity" and it’s a good spy-thriller movie beer. Fairly sweet malt and a decent amount of spiciness. Quite good. 2004 vintage: wickedly bitter. Bitingly so. Unforgiving, like a black Imperial IPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - APR 7, 2003
Nothing special very plain drinkable. Light malt and hop flavor. Finishes clean and dry.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - MAR 18, 2003
What the hell was this all about? I thought i bought myself a winter ale, not a wussy brown ale? Whattup guys??? So this thing poured a reddish brown mix..mostly amber with no head. The aroma was mildly malty, some hints of fruit, but nothing that said, smell me!!!! The taste was heavily malty, a lil' nutty, and all disappointing. It went down smoothly, with little carbonated value or any other exciting qualities. Truly boring. It may have had the slightest bit of spice, but given that it was so tiny, i could not distinguish it by any means. Wake me up when Redhook wakes up and listens to the fine beer drinkers of the world.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Panzuriel (1472) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Mildly disappointing ale. A little whimpy and run of the mill for a winter ale. Amber-brown. No head. Decent aroma and flavor. Nothing special. texture also middle of the road.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
jkeller (4) - jacksonville, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2003 does not count
Trying not to be biased against ale, this beer still didnt cut it. Redhook seemed a bit flat for my taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 9, 2003
Amber with no head. Aroma is minimal, if that. Flavor is bland with some malt flavors. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. It's not that bad but I expected much more. Probably if you feel like drinking a ton of beer this would be a good one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 7, 2003
Bottled. A rather disappointing beer. Nothing wrong with it. Just didn't do anything for me. Had a little spice flavor, but mainly it was just a beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JFGrind (1918) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2003
I bought a case of this beer back in December and gave most of it out for Xmas beer to my friends and family. Nobody came back to me with any remarks on this beer. I put a few aside for myself and I was not impressed. Winterhook taste wise was a far cry from other English Strong Ales I've tried. Maybe it's the way the Yanks brew this style of beer because I was also not impressed by Weyebacher's Winter Ale, supposably another English Strong Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 1, 2003
Dark brownish red in color. Poured without much of a head. Smells yeasty but yummy. Metallic aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2003
Pours a light brown color with little head. The aroma is rather bland and weak. The flavor has some strong, boring malt flavors. Not much complexity or balance. Rather uneventful I must say.