overall

RATINGS: 864   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 15/20
FlyingSwine (174) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - JAN 3, 2009
12 oz. Pours a beautiful mohogany amber/brown, slightly cloudy with a thin off-white head. No lacing. Aroma is light, mainly pine hops. Flavor is light and fairly well balanced, but noticably more balanced towards the hops side. Roasted malts with earthy hops dominates the flavor. Palate is medium and slightly dry. Highly drinkable, but not great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - NOV 14, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2006 This clear dark amber ale has a foamy tan head that lasts a fairly long time and leaves some impressive lacing in its wake. The thing I love most about Red Hook ales is that they are not pasteurized and that leads to a fresh homebrewed aroma. The problem is that they taste a little too much like average homebrew for them to garner higher ratings. This ale has decent alcohol content but I prefer to see a wee bit more in a winter beer. Flavors of roasted malts fill the palate and leave an aftertaste similar to espresso. I definitely like the bitter hops on the back end but I wish that this beer had a more substantial mouth feel a bit more complexity. Overall I would definitely buy and drink this winter ale again and I am convinced that with some tweaking of the recipe Red Hook Winterhook ale could become one of the top winter beers produced in this great country. (Note Added 1-9-06): I guess they did tweak the recipe after all because I tried this again last night and had my mind and palate completely blown. This beer pours like a moonlit Christmas Eve and tastes like a strong winter ale should. It was warming and delicious. I’m updating my overall impression from 15 to 18 bringing the total score from 3.6 up to 3.9. I will definately try this one again next year.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
uvajed (171) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - NOV 28, 2005
A little sweet, and not voerwhelmingly flavorful, but the hoppy flavor dominates. A little spice and malt. Not what I hoped for from a winter ale, though I love hops and I like this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
optemoz (171) - Apex, North Carolina, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Bottle - Pours a copper red.... Nose is strong hops and citrus.... Taste is rather grassy and bready... Not a big fan of IPA style winter brews .. but its decent

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
truegen (167) - Puyallup, Washington, USA - OCT 2, 2007
12 oz. bottle. This was better, once upon a time. Sample from the first batch into the local market, and I’m feeling let down. This is more like a summer ale than winter. The color is lighter, the nose and flavor more citrusy than in years past, and there doesn’t seem to be anything "roasty" about this beer at all. This is the ESB with a fake suntan. I like the ESB, and this is a drinkable beer, but there’s no Winter in this Hook.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Eberndt (165) - - DEC 6, 2013
Dark brown with a very strong roast flavor. Just bitter enough and pretty enjoyable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
awebster (165) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 31, 2005
This may be the only beer from Redhook that I don’t care for. I can’t put my finger on it, but something in the finish just left me a bit queasy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JonnyC22 (164) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - OCT 29, 2007
This is a good looking beer. The taste is not overpowering, but a strong, malty flavor definitely comes out. I don’t know what kind of hops they used but I would prefer something different.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
FistFullOfCats (163) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Bottle. Well, this was just fine but nothing special. Flavor and aroma wise, it is very similar to Cottonwood’s Frost bite: Hoppy (especially in the finish), citrusy, but no caramel. Nice malt flavor. Cottonwood’s version is just a superior beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rodolito (163) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 24, 2003
1/12/03. Clear ruby amber with a thin, quick white head. Mild hop aroma. Pine resin and hop flavor with caramel and malt. Good flavors to have in a beer but this doesn't come across as a good beer.