overall

RATINGS: 871   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hero12 (180) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 21, 2010
Extremely good beer. Very heavy coffee malt nose and taste. Minimal carbonation and a clean/bitter finish. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
flylikeabanana (179) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 20, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2013 This is a nice take on a winter red ale, dark amber with a milky head. Notes of caramel, citrus, toffee and still rather hoppy too.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - NOV 25, 2007
not bad for a grab-and-go sixer. Deep amber hue, mild hop flavor with a sweet aftertaste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
muteprint (176) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 17, 2010
Caramel malts. Harsh finish. Completely average beer. DIdnít expect much more from a red hook brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
aenimopiate (176) - The United States of Texas, Texas, USA - MAR 28, 2011
Pours a darker copper color with a thin tan head that hangs around for a bit. Taste is nothing too remarkable...thin malt and hops. Has a strange coppery like aftertaste that is just plain weird. It doesnít taste like I just drank a beer... Not one of my favorites.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 10, 2002
In my opinion, an average beer. Iíve had better, Iíve had worse. Next time I buy something, Iíll buy something else.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
uvajed (174) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - NOV 28, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2014 2014: I like this a little better now - the initial hop and toasted nut flavors are well balanced and mellow. This is tasty and agreeable because it doesnít try too hard. 2005: A little sweet, and not overwhelmingly flavorful, but the hoppy flavor dominates. A little caramel and malt. Not what I hoped for from a winter ale, though I love hops and I like this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 15/20
FlyingSwine (174) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - JAN 3, 2009
12 oz. Pours a beautiful mohogany amber/brown, slightly cloudy with a thin off-white head. No lacing. Aroma is light, mainly pine hops. Flavor is light and fairly well balanced, but noticably more balanced towards the hops side. Roasted malts with earthy hops dominates the flavor. Palate is medium and slightly dry. Highly drinkable, but not great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - NOV 14, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2006 This clear dark amber ale has a foamy tan head that lasts a fairly long time and leaves some impressive lacing in its wake. The thing I love most about Red Hook ales is that they are not pasteurized and that leads to a fresh homebrewed aroma. The problem is that they taste a little too much like average homebrew for them to garner higher ratings. This ale has decent alcohol content but I prefer to see a wee bit more in a winter beer. Flavors of roasted malts fill the palate and leave an aftertaste similar to espresso. I definitely like the bitter hops on the back end but I wish that this beer had a more substantial mouth feel a bit more complexity. Overall I would definitely buy and drink this winter ale again and I am convinced that with some tweaking of the recipe Red Hook Winterhook ale could become one of the top winter beers produced in this great country. (Note Added 1-9-06): I guess they did tweak the recipe after all because I tried this again last night and had my mind and palate completely blown. This beer pours like a moonlit Christmas Eve and tastes like a strong winter ale should. It was warming and delicious. Iím updating my overall impression from 15 to 18 bringing the total score from 3.6 up to 3.9. I will definately try this one again next year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
optemoz (171) - Apex, North Carolina, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Bottle - Pours a copper red.... Nose is strong hops and citrus.... Taste is rather grassy and bready... Not a big fan of IPA style winter brews .. but its decent