overall

RATINGS: 864   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Justinw (7) - Maplewood, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2005 does not count
Very dark mahogoney color. Small light head with a mild hop aroma. Burnt flavor with a hint of nuttyness to it. Finishes with a bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
LaFinca (6) - state college, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2003 does not count
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2003 I’m not very much into spicy beers but decided to purchase a mixed case of ESB and Winterhook today (11/5/03). I purchased the beer at a drive thru distributorship and noticed when I got home they accidentally slipped an entire case of the Winterhook in the back instead of the mixed case. I was a little upset and went on the Internet and read, no surprise, a lot of terrible reviews which even made me more upset. I was almost ready to take the case back when I went to the Redhook website and seen that the Winterhook was dry hopped (I’m a dry hop freak) and I also read one or two reviews stating that the 2003 batch has changed so I decided to take a chance and pop one open instead of returning the case. Right of the bat, the dry hopped aroma hit me and it was breathtaking. I’ve never had a bottled beer with this much dry hop aroma unless I had brewed it myself. This is definitely a 10 in the aroma category and the dry hopping, I believe, also gives this beer a clean, crisp, and astringent taste. As for balance, some reviews of previous years stated the beer was sweet and malty but I found this year’s batch to be somewhat on the hoppy side. Redhook’s website states the bittering units are 29.2 which isn’t too shabby if you love hops and they may have raised the alcohol level somewhat from the last few years to remove the sweetness. Their website states “Best Damn Vintage Yet” and never having tried any of the others and after reading so many horrible reviews, I guess they made a lot of changes to improve this beer. Although they are not overpowering, I would love to try this one without the spices. Don’t be hesitant, like I was to try it; you just might be surprised.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
St_AnkyBeer (6) - New York, USA - JAN 11, 2013 does not count
First sip comes off really hoppy, but mellows out quite nicely. A clear amber beer with a caramel aroma. Overall much lighter than I expected.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
maxwillis (5) - Prescott, Arizona, USA - DEC 7, 2003 does not count
I didn't think it was all that great. the ESB is still much better. The brew just isn't the same since I left seattle. For a couple months I had a tower of red hook cases in the coner of my room. they each had a coupon for a tour of the brewery, I never did make it.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
jkeller (4) - jacksonville, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2003 does not count
Trying not to be biased against ale, this beer still didnt cut it. Redhook seemed a bit flat for my taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
wjhess (4) - Missoula, Montana, USA - MAR 5, 2006 does not count
12 oz bottle. A nice nutty & malty aroma. Poured a deep amber-brown with a large frothy off-white head that disipated quickly. The flavor was odd, and disappointing. A light sweet start, progressing quickly to bitter, with a strong metallic finish. The after-effect reminded me of soured milk. Thin body. I burped metallic Christmas tree the rest of the afternoon...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
msprigings (4) - , Virginia, USA - DEC 30, 2008 does not count
caramel, amber, clear, lightly bitter, light body, thin feel. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and will look for in winters to come.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
olilitewu (4) - Seattle, USA - OCT 22, 2009 does not count
This beer has aroma of pine. It has nice roasty body, but not malty enough to impress me. dry finish

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HopHeadJoe (3) - Washington, USA - DEC 4, 2009 does not count
This year’s Winterhook is better than last years. It has a better overall flavor, more pronounced hop aroma and more toasty malt goodness. This is a "must have" beer if you get to the brewery. May be the best beer in their lineup

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
travise (3) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2003 does not count
2003 bottle. Slight floral aroma. Nice warm maltiness followed by a nice hoppy bite. Nicely balanced. I could put down a few of these.