overall

RATINGS: 871   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zaschell (14) - , Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2008
A pretty standard tasting winter ale. Red Hook turns out good stuff, and this is no exception, but stacked up against the other NW micro winter brews, it is not quite as good.

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
somecrzyguy420 (13) - schenectady, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
im not a real hoppy fan so i didnt care for this much, good dark color though, aroma typical of a seasonal ale

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gardyloo (12) - USA - DEC 11, 2007
i may have been drunk by the time i switched to this, but i remember enjoying it thoroughly.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
arsenal (10) - Orange, Virginia, USA - NOV 11, 2006
one of my favorite everyday beers is Red Hook’s ESB... so i thought i’d be "relatively safe". that’s a pretty good description of Winterhook. there are Belgian elements in the aroma and flavor (which is not my favorite), but pleasingly so (despite a metallic aftertaste). and i was a little surprised by the kick provided by the alcohol content. very acceptable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
abc2248 (9) - LITITZ, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 1, 2005 does not count
Dark amber color. Sweet, malty aroma. Tastes like a brown ale with a little more citrusy hops flavor. Not exceptionally flavorful. Finish is fairly dry and somewhat bitter. OK, but nothing special.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Chrisco88 (9) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 31, 2010 does not count
Appearance: Poured deep amber/brown with a small, bubbly beige head that faded quite quickly. Aroma: Not very aromatic at all, nothing jumps out. With a bit of swirling I picked up some caramel or roasted smells as well as a bit of spiciness of some sort. Taste: Quite balanced but a little sweet in the end. Caramel flavor dominate with some roasted malts in there as well. Towards the end there’s a tinge of bitterness but there’s also a nice earthy spice to ponder. Palate: For the most part it was smooth but below average carbonation left me with a watery consistency. Overall: Easy to drink and perfect for cold temperatures so can’t ask for much more, but it seems all the flavors and aromas are so bland and subtle that Winterhook just doesn’t stand out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
timetrvlr (8) - milford, Connecticut, USA - JAN 27, 2005 does not count
little head, easy on the palate with slightly bitter aftertone. i drink this often when its available because its satisfying and very reasonably priced

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Justinw (7) - Maplewood, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2005 does not count
Very dark mahogoney color. Small light head with a mild hop aroma. Burnt flavor with a hint of nuttyness to it. Finishes with a bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
LaFinca (6) - state college, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2003 does not count
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2003 I’m not very much into spicy beers but decided to purchase a mixed case of ESB and Winterhook today (11/5/03). I purchased the beer at a drive thru distributorship and noticed when I got home they accidentally slipped an entire case of the Winterhook in the back instead of the mixed case. I was a little upset and went on the Internet and read, no surprise, a lot of terrible reviews which even made me more upset. I was almost ready to take the case back when I went to the Redhook website and seen that the Winterhook was dry hopped (I’m a dry hop freak) and I also read one or two reviews stating that the 2003 batch has changed so I decided to take a chance and pop one open instead of returning the case. Right of the bat, the dry hopped aroma hit me and it was breathtaking. I’ve never had a bottled beer with this much dry hop aroma unless I had brewed it myself. This is definitely a 10 in the aroma category and the dry hopping, I believe, also gives this beer a clean, crisp, and astringent taste. As for balance, some reviews of previous years stated the beer was sweet and malty but I found this year’s batch to be somewhat on the hoppy side. Redhook’s website states the bittering units are 29.2 which isn’t too shabby if you love hops and they may have raised the alcohol level somewhat from the last few years to remove the sweetness. Their website states “Best Damn Vintage Yet” and never having tried any of the others and after reading so many horrible reviews, I guess they made a lot of changes to improve this beer. Although they are not overpowering, I would love to try this one without the spices. Don’t be hesitant, like I was to try it; you just might be surprised.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
St_AnkyBeer (6) - New York, USA - JAN 11, 2013 does not count
First sip comes off really hoppy, but mellows out quite nicely. A clear amber beer with a caramel aroma. Overall much lighter than I expected.