RATINGS: 888   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
crabcakes (20) - Duluth, Minnesota, USA - SEP 3, 2009
Unfortunately, this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. Extremely bitter and harsh on the taste buds, this beer was a huge disappointment. I had heard good things about it and was excited to try Winterhook, but I walked away disappointed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
6re99 (19) - Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA - NOV 25, 2004
Being a drinker of fine Red Hook products as their IPA, and ESB, this somewhat falls short. The end is very heavy, and the metalic taste had me to think I could have possibly bought a bad ’batch’, but after reading these posts, it must just be the flavor they want.. The color; on the other hand, is SUPURB!, one would think the bottle it was packaged in was clear. haha.. as for the whole package.......Too heavy, isn’t as smooth as some of their others, and just isnt a good drink; for the money. =y

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
god (18) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 24, 2004
Smells like apples. Shallow off-white head with a lot of lace. Strong carbonation keeps the head up for a long time. Caremellt-brown color, dry texture. The killer is the sour-alkaline finish that puts the nail in the coffin: not that great a beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
billdrinksbeer (18) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 25, 2009
Bottle. Oddly hoppy aroma for a beer in this style. Smells faintly like a DFH 60 minute combined with the smell of wet leaves. Pours a rich chestnut brown with a half finger width of cream colored head that dissipates quickly. Taste is at first slightly malty with a faint taste of cider spices (a la traditional winter brews). Mouthfeel is very thin, almost watery, and the back taste is almost non-existent. Not a bad beer, but I’ve had both better winter brews and English strong ales.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bakes (17) - Athens, Ohio, USA - MAR 15, 2004
I really enjoyed the color and taste of this beer. I will definately buy it again next winter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Elauwit (16) - - FEB 23, 2012
Old chicago Greeley co Too hoppy for a red. Good beer but have had others I like more. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Churchkey (16) - Missouri, USA - FEB 11, 2014
12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Appearance / Pours darker than honey almost amber colored. Tried as I might all I could achieve was about 1 finger of frothy tan foam. Did not last long but never completely left either leaving thin lace along the way. Nice carbonation. Smell / Toasted breads with some herbal spicy smells. Taste / The first thing you get is a wonderful malty sweetness followed by a medium hop bitterness that is really well balanced. Mouth Feel / Medium bodied that is creamy and slick with a long lasting finish. Overall / When I had my first one of these I thought it was average but over the next few day I had a few more and each time I discovered something new with it. I find this to be a great example of the winter warmer style as this has become a favorite winter beer for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zaschell (14) - , Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2008
A pretty standard tasting winter ale. Red Hook turns out good stuff, and this is no exception, but stacked up against the other NW micro winter brews, it is not quite as good.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
somecrzyguy420 (13) - schenectady, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
im not a real hoppy fan so i didnt care for this much, good dark color though, aroma typical of a seasonal ale

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gardyloo (12) - USA - DEC 11, 2007
i may have been drunk by the time i switched to this, but i remember enjoying it thoroughly.