overall

RATINGS: 864   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerKurve (489) - - DEC 7, 2012
Dark Red color. A nice blend of Caramel, Toffee, Grapefruit Hops and Yeasts make the flavor robust and rich. Body is heavy and moderately carbonated and it doesn’t come off quite as well as one would hope. Overall it’s an excellent winter warmer with a nice flavor

plummdumb99 (34) - USA - NOV 25, 2001
Good, could use some work, but really quite good

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DOdubble (92) - UVA, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2002
This beer is tasty and delicious, but i wish it was stronger since its supposed to be a "robust winter ale." It does go down nice and smooth though.

Reid (1855) - Salem,Oregon, Oregon, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Ok wife took me out to "The Outback" Steakhouse tonight for me birthday..they had not much of intrest on tap ( Newcastle Brown and Black Butte being the best)..so I tried this new keg of Winterhook..what the heck..might as well. Came in the 22 oz mug. Served slightly too cold , despite me asking for a "slightly" chilled glass..so let it stand a while. Actually afer the chill haze was gone, its quite a good looking beer ,light chocolaty brown with garnet accents..lovelly coffeen'creme coloured head. Good malty aroma with wine like smell of alcohol. Pretty nice taste , malty smooth, chocolate , liquorice then it gets bitter with noticable alcohol warming in the throat. Nice and smooth on the palate. A quite enjoyable brew with my Prime Rib..and New York Cheescake to finish! Tastes though it was stronger than 5.58..but the waitress had no idea!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 23, 2002
This is one of those beers that you are sitting around waiting for it to get cold again so you can partake.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 27, 2003
2003 Offering: Enticing chestnut color with a large, off white head. Upon the pour, my nose was unexpectedly treated to a very fresh Pac Northwest hop blast. Didn't seem to be "Cascade-y", but definitely American varieties. Nice, malty flavors with a mild roasted malt and nutty quality. Medium bodied, with a sharp, clean finish. It seems almost like a "Barleywine light" or a revved up brown ale. Whatever it is, I just know I enjoyed it and that it is the best Redhook offering I've had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
LaFinca (6) - state college, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2003 does not count
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2003 I’m not very much into spicy beers but decided to purchase a mixed case of ESB and Winterhook today (11/5/03). I purchased the beer at a drive thru distributorship and noticed when I got home they accidentally slipped an entire case of the Winterhook in the back instead of the mixed case. I was a little upset and went on the Internet and read, no surprise, a lot of terrible reviews which even made me more upset. I was almost ready to take the case back when I went to the Redhook website and seen that the Winterhook was dry hopped (I’m a dry hop freak) and I also read one or two reviews stating that the 2003 batch has changed so I decided to take a chance and pop one open instead of returning the case. Right of the bat, the dry hopped aroma hit me and it was breathtaking. I’ve never had a bottled beer with this much dry hop aroma unless I had brewed it myself. This is definitely a 10 in the aroma category and the dry hopping, I believe, also gives this beer a clean, crisp, and astringent taste. As for balance, some reviews of previous years stated the beer was sweet and malty but I found this year’s batch to be somewhat on the hoppy side. Redhook’s website states the bittering units are 29.2 which isn’t too shabby if you love hops and they may have raised the alcohol level somewhat from the last few years to remove the sweetness. Their website states “Best Damn Vintage Yet” and never having tried any of the others and after reading so many horrible reviews, I guess they made a lot of changes to improve this beer. Although they are not overpowering, I would love to try this one without the spices. Don’t be hesitant, like I was to try it; you just might be surprised.

DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Tastes burnt and roasty. There is a nice foamy head on it. More bitter than many brews, and yet, in winter, refreshing - kind of makes me...sentimental.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 12, 2006
I actually found this to be really enjoyable with my lunch. This is becoming one of more favorite styles as I get away from being a hope head and more into appreciating maltier darker styles. Dark brown with amber hues and some really lively carbonation that is a real joy to watch as it reacts to being poured. Sweet fruitiness and rich malt character, some spiciness and herbal black tea notes. Very nicely done

MattShizzle (539) - Bernville, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Bottle - from sampler pack. Quite good and very rich. Medium brown, clear. Doesn’t taste strong.