overall

RATINGS: 866   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JMerritt (1803) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - DEC 2, 2002
Spicy flavor, moderately bitter immediate aftertaste. Hardly a ’robust winter ale.’

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2002
Its not what I’m expecting from a winter ale. Its more like an IPA to me because of the strong, and somewhat bitter hops taste, which I’m really not that fond of. I’ve bought IPA’s before and some of them are enjoyable when I’m in the right mood for them, but this one has a hops taste that doesn’t have alot of character and reminds me more of soap. But its definitely drinkable. I can easily finish this six pack, and if someone gives me some, I’ll happily consume that as well, but I probably won’t buy any more of it, because its just not that memorable to me, and its not what I envision as a winter ale, which is usually less better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2003
Pours a light brown color with little head. The aroma is rather bland and weak. The flavor has some strong, boring malt flavors. Not much complexity or balance. Rather uneventful I must say.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Panzuriel (1310) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Mildly disappointing ale. A little whimpy and run of the mill for a winter ale. Amber-brown. No head. Decent aroma and flavor. Nothing special. texture also middle of the road.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
beermoose (25) - Blainville, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 24, 2003
Brown Beer, Nice foaming, with a nice aroma of caramel and hops. I found it mild and closer to a brown ale than anything else. When drinking it, everything seems to be blended not letting anything special come out.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - NOV 24, 2003
Off white/light tan head on a light copper body, but it just doesn't stick around very long. Herbal hop aroma, but it lacks a malt presence in the nose as an English Strong ale should. But at 5.58% ABV, it's not that strong! What little malt aroma there is seems caramelly with hints of roast and chocolate and only mildy fruity. Flavors seems rather sweet and lightly acidic, but well balanced with a hop flavor that dominates mid palate into the finish. A light fruitiness comes into the finish as well as it warms; The malt flavors seem muddled and one does not dominate over the others as in the aroma making this a fairly non complex winter brew. Medium bodied wiht moderately low carbonation and dry mouthfeel, borderline astringent. This isn't a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not terribly complex for what it's supposed to be. I can't say I'm not disappointed in this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 18, 2003
Not something I'd return to. Appearance was fine with a deep, copper color and an off-white head. The aroma was touched with sweet and flowery notes. The flavor was alternately sweet and bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - FEB 22, 2005
Dark brown with ruby edges, pathetic fizzy, vanishing light tan head. The aroma is loaded with citursy and floral hops. Toasted bread and light sweetness. And finally some definte spiciness. The flavor is much like the aroma though much more boring. The palate is the killer, watery and tad slimy. Not awful just vey boring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BrockLanders (772) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2005
Bottle. Pours a translucent gold-brown. Nose is more or less roasty, chocolatey, and some light hops. The taste, however, is almost non-existent. I mean, there is some ultra light woodines and roasted malts, but you’ve really got to concentrate. "A rich, hearty ale...." it is definitely not.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 25, 2005
This is a deep amber ale that taste similiar to an I.P.A. with a smooth slight hoppy aftertaste.