overall

RATINGS: 864   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
igneous1 (1492) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 28, 2002
clear reddish-orange color, thin head dissipating almost immediately. aroma is a bit fruity with some apple and pear flavors. overall a thin beer, one i’d hardly call "robust"

heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Heavily heavily spiced. Extremely anisey with a fat sweet finish. Yuck.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
delacerveza (157) - Florida, USA - DEC 23, 2002
clear copper, light but clinging head. tinny aroma. the first sip, i was like "ew, tastes like amber bock mixed with bud", but after it sat out for a while it wasn’t as bad as i initially thought. not spicy at all, but a nice malty flavor. fizzy but somewhat watery palate. it’ll do in a pinch i suppose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BarePaw (148) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2003
The head was thin and didn’t last long. The feel on my palate wasn’t impressive. It has a nice fruity flavor, but it isn’t very strong. It isn’t my favorite winter brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JFGrind (1835) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2003
I bought a case of this beer back in December and gave most of it out for Xmas beer to my friends and family. Nobody came back to me with any remarks on this beer. I put a few aside for myself and I was not impressed. Winterhook taste wise was a far cry from other English Strong Ales I've tried. Maybe it's the way the Yanks brew this style of beer because I was also not impressed by Weyebacher's Winter Ale, supposably another English Strong Ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - MAR 18, 2003
What the hell was this all about? I thought i bought myself a winter ale, not a wussy brown ale? Whattup guys??? So this thing poured a reddish brown mix..mostly amber with no head. The aroma was mildly malty, some hints of fruit, but nothing that said, smell me!!!! The taste was heavily malty, a lil' nutty, and all disappointing. It went down smoothly, with little carbonated value or any other exciting qualities. Truly boring. It may have had the slightest bit of spice, but given that it was so tiny, i could not distinguish it by any means. Wake me up when Redhook wakes up and listens to the fine beer drinkers of the world.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2003
smells of a garbage can. dark amber color. slightly hoppy aftertaste but mostly watery. the aftertaste surely turns into some kind of funk though

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - DEC 9, 2003
A basic, fairly boring ale. Heavy hop flavoring that was most empty of anything else left me thoroughly dissatisfied. Addendum: One winterhook = one heavy hangover. Normally I'm immune to these, but man ... this one is bad. I'll never touch one of these again.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - DEC 15, 2003
2002 bottle. Poured a slightly dark amber color, cream color head. Some dark malt with some tangy hops. Light to medium mouthfeel. Lacking.

badgerben (4385) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 4, 2004
Very sub-par winter ale. Aroma was more like an over hopped pils. Very thin and a tad bitter. Some citrus notes as well. Not too good.