overall

RATINGS: 874   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
A rich, hearty ale brewed for a clean, dry, roasty palate.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
paulmetzger (154) - Pocatello, Idaho, USA - JAN 5, 2009
Clear brown/amber. No head. Mild aroma, toffee if any. "Drinkable", I guess. Mild if any hops, slight metallic flavor. Won’t buy next year.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cavie (3898) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - MAR 8, 2009
Winter ales usually arenít my favorite. This one was probably the best of the winter ales Iíve had but I still didnít care too much for it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
poorbastard (42) - Bokeelia, Florida, USA - FEB 13, 2010
Deep brown in color with a quickly diminishing tan head, this beer is bland with a bitter bite from the roasted malt. No spice. No character.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
muteprint (176) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 17, 2010
Caramel malts. Harsh finish. Completely average beer. DIdnít expect much more from a red hook brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ThaJuggernaut (309) - Washington, USA - FEB 3, 2011
Meh. Not my favor winter seasonal. Lacking full taste. Has decent pour. Ok beer

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
igneous1 (1507) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 28, 2002
clear reddish-orange color, thin head dissipating almost immediately. aroma is a bit fruity with some apple and pear flavors. overall a thin beer, one iíd hardly call "robust"

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Heavily heavily spiced. Extremely anisey with a fat sweet finish. Yuck.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
delacerveza (166) - Florida, USA - DEC 23, 2002
clear copper, light but clinging head. tinny aroma. the first sip, i was like "ew, tastes like amber bock mixed with bud", but after it sat out for a while it wasnít as bad as i initially thought. not spicy at all, but a nice malty flavor. fizzy but somewhat watery palate. itíll do in a pinch i suppose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BarePaw (148) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2003
The head was thin and didnít last long. The feel on my palate wasnít impressive. It has a nice fruity flavor, but it isnít very strong. It isnít my favorite winter brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JFGrind (1883) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 4, 2003
I bought a case of this beer back in December and gave most of it out for Xmas beer to my friends and family. Nobody came back to me with any remarks on this beer. I put a few aside for myself and I was not impressed. Winterhook taste wise was a far cry from other English Strong Ales I've tried. Maybe it's the way the Yanks brew this style of beer because I was also not impressed by Weyebacher's Winter Ale, supposably another English Strong Ale.