Redwood Lodge Munich Helles
     click to upload

Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.1/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
A light colored German style lager with assertive hop bitterness and flavor.

DrnkMcDermott's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrnkMcDermott (2748) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - OCT 9, 2003
Draft, on premises.Has a very light lager taste, but without the yeast bite. The advertised 33 IBU's were not very pronounced, but they contributed to a nice warming aspect. I only had a sampler glass, but I got a good clean Helles smell when I put my nose into it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 6, 2010
GABF 2010. Pours a deep gold with a thin head. Aroma is clean, yeasty doughy light grassy hops hints of lemon, good pils. Flavor is nice light spicy herbal hop kick on some crackery mostly fresh bready malts.. Fairly straight forward fresh and not much fault in this brew. Good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Tmoney99 (10093) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2010
Draft sample. Poured copper color with an average frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate tart hop aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation. Medium bitter flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration. My expectations where met with this brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
lumberjack (178) - Michigan, USA - DEC 22, 2007
Sample on tap...Filtered golden yellow color with a disappearing head. Everything about this really reminds me of a Pale Lager rather than a Helles. I got very little hop bitterness, mainly just a sweet malt taste. Nothing much going on here, although it did go down really easily.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dogbrick (7244) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 10, 2006
Sample at the brewpub: Pours a clear dark gold color with a medium thin light beige head with little retention. Thin rings of lace on the sample glass. The aroma is mostly malty with a fair amount of hops. Clean body with equal parts sweet malt and bitter hops. The finish is moderately bitter hops and lingers awhile. Overall this is a decent Helles.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 30, 2003
The have a trio of lightish brews set to draw the flies, so it was with some skepticism that I gambled on this one (never had a microbrewed "kolsch" I enjoyed and why bother with a microbrewed light?). Pleasant surprise - there ARE hops in this thing and enough crispness to allow them to stand out, not dominate. I'd run through the darker stuff before I decided to gamble on this, and the style didn't keep me interested long, but this is not bad beer and folks who actually know something about this style (I don't) should try it out, by all means.